Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• I've already read that article. Corolla has established itself. Perhaps if the Sephia stayed on the market longer and became a better car it could establish itself too.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,631
    To what article are you referring?
    Sorry for my assumption that you approved of the methodology used by Smart Money to come up with the ECHO as one of its winners. I would be interested to know what your opinion on this award is, since you drive an awardee. From recent posts you don't seem to like the Strategic Vision TQI (I'm not too keen on it either), and that was a component of the Smart Money ratings.
  • Any disagreement of methodology of Strategic Vision does not translate to a disagreement with the conclusions of Smart Money.

I happen to agree with Smart Money that the Echo is a very good car. And given their (Smart Money's) criteria for selecting the winner, I agree with that too even though the winner was not the Echo.

I don't know why Smart Money used SV's survey as a criteria, but at least they (Smart Money) told us what criteria they used.

Detroit News released a similar list and I challenge anyone to figure out the exact criteria they used to pick their final list.
    >> Any disagreement of methodology of Strategic Vision does not translate to a disagreement with the conclusions of Smart Money. <<

There's a saying in the computer industry: garbage in, garbage out.
  • In other words, just because I am less than thrilled with how Strategic Visions does something does not mean I fault the conclusions of Smart Money. I agree with Smart Money that the Toyota Echo is one of the best values under $18,000.
  • the interior of the ECHO compared to all the other cars in its class. It's so roomy and not cramped up like a Sephia's or a Cavalier's etc etc etc.
  • one of those people who fuzzies up Internet knowledge. You know how people say you can't believe everything you read on the Internet? Don't believe what coolguy says about Sephia's interior room. It actually has more than all of the competitors. The Sephia remains a popular choice(yes, even if the Sephia's changing to Spectra). The reasons are: Great looks. Reliable performance. Great Long-Haul warranty.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• that the ECHO has much more headroom and a more open feel than the Sephia because it doesn't have the armrest console connecting to the dash. Sephia's control panel has its buttons mushed together all close. I like how ECHO's are spread out. But that is just opinion.

And on to Kia's advertising. Why do they constantly target Toyota? And on their website, the Corolla is used in almost every comparison of why Sephia is "supposedly" better. Is that the only way Kia can win customers? I found discrepancies between Kia's comparisons and Toyota's comparisons. The Toyota comparison gives Corolla 14 cu feet of trunk space, the Sephia only 10. But Kia's site gives Sephia 10.4 and Corolla's only 12.1 cu feet. Both cars have 125 hp but Corolla's runs at 5800 rpm rather than Sephia's 6000 rpm. Corolla has more torque. 125 lb/foot at 4000 rpm vs 108 lb/foot at 4800 rpm. And what's with the Sephia's mileage. Toyota sure is using a more efficient engine than Kia is. Kia better hold off on gas/electric hybrids until they can get a conventional engine efficient.

Oh, and by the way, the cute little heading the Sephia page has is so nice. "More fun than a Corolla." Well if you can't believe a statement like that then what can you believe? Their comparison also says one can't get a Corolla LE with wood trim interior and a color keyed rear spoiler. Yes, one can. Kia should get things straightened out.
    Edmunds.com rates Corolla at 12.1 cubic feet for trunk space, also. Maybe Toyota uses a different way to measure trunk space than Kia and Edmunds.com.

Another way to view Kia's comparison of Sephia vs. Corolla is as a compliment to the Corolla. It is common practice for a company to compare its products against those it views as its strongest competition. So by making direct comparisons between the Sephia and Corolla, Kia is acknowledging that Corolla is the car it has to beat. I always like it when I see ads from competitors of my company directly attacking my company's products. I especially like it when the ads are inaccurate or misleading (which happens quite often), because when I point out the errors to customers, those competitors lose credibility.
  • Kia commercials definitely put a smile on my face. Although, those recent Lexus and Toyota commercials put a smile on my face too, but a different one. I really liked that LS430 commercial that came out when the car debuted. "Apple Brown Betty" or whatever.
  • aniryuaniryu Posts: 61
    I love those new Camry and ES 300 commercials! They just are so classy!

Kia's new motto: The Persuit of Toyota

Toyota's new motto: The Persuit of being better than Kia so they can stop comparing us

Lexus' new motto: The persuit of Mercedez Benze
  • Lexus' slogan is "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection." I love that slogan. Aniryu, you're right, those commercials are classy. I think Lexus has surpassed Mercedes Benz though. The Lexus LS430 and SC430 are absolutely fantastic. They are no lesser than any MB yet they have a much better price! Go figure!
  • carleton1carleton1 Posts: 560
    Lexus is a cheap pretender to Mercedes in the same manner as Kia and Hyundai are to Toyota.
    In both instances, the pretender offers same features for less money so they are probably a better bargain for those with limited funds to spend.
    Could somebody please tell me which Lexus and Mercedes Benz cars list for under $15,000?

Carleton, with today's attacks near Kabul I hope you are in a safe location.
  • Backy, in case you missed my previous post, I am sure that Carleton does not live in Afghanistan. You are just wearing out your fingers typing such sentiments.
  • Seriously, even though you no longer own a low end sedan, I would like to know why you chose an SUV as your current vehicle as opposed to getting a Kia Spectra.

What made you choose an SUV over a sedan?
    According to Carelton's User Profile, he lives in Kabul. I will assume the info he supplied during the Edmunds.com registration process is accurate unless there is evidence to the contrary.
  • Why does Lexus always beat Mercedes in quality then? If Chrysler cars will have any impact on Mercedes, then Mercedes is screwed. It's downhill for MB if they let Chrylser get to do too much work for them. Chrysler cars are pretty cheap feeling.
  • aniryuaniryu Posts: 61
    "Lexus is a cheap pretender to Mercedes in the same manner as Kia and Hyundai are to Toyota. In both instances, the pretender offers same features for less money so they are probably a better bargain for those with limited funds to spend."

Don't talk nonsense. Lexus' are great cars, and great car + great price = happy owners. When I was shopping for my RX 300, I test drove all the SUVs' in it's class, and I chose the RX 300. HA!