Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Oh, and if you come to any consensus on renaming this dicussion, let me know - it's a very simple thing to do.
  • Well said. And for iluv and his beloved Korean cars....

"I'm a little surprised that the brand new 2002 Toyota Camry was outpointed (at least in C&D) by the old Honda Accord. (A new Accord is coming next fall.) But the fact that four American cars brought up the rear, and were even outscored by a Hyundai, is embarrassing." -Forbes Magazine on the outcome of a midsize sedan comparison.
  • Maybe we should just retitle it Free For All. That way we would never be off topic again. ; )
  • The George Foreman grill might be the greatest kitchen appliance ever built. If George Foreman made a car, I would buy it.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    If there is nothing else to say about cars in this discussion, I can certainly shut it down.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • lleroilleroi Posts: 112
    this is such a hot topic -we just needed a break to cool down.We were all hoping we could GRILL the major on his Korean car purchase.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,746
    There is a revised proposal on the table from majorthomecho to change the name of this board to:

Low-End Cars < $15,000: American vs. Japanese vs. Korean.

I second. Shall we call the question--all in favor, say Aye, all opposed, say Nay.

Aye.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    I need to say, Major Tom's joke was funny!

Guess what car I rented over my Thanksgiving vacation? Here's a couple of hints, the weekly rate was $105.00 in Florida. I used InterAmerican Rental Co. It was a verrry small car.

-Larry
    Nay. I like the topic name the way it is.

-Larry
    Major, I can't say I've never strayed off-topic because I don't know what your definition of "off topic" is. You could mean, for example, that anything except a direct discussion of low-end cars would be "off topic", and then I'd have to admit that I've made some posts like that. But I would say that I've stayed on-topic better than most. For example, I haven't done several posts about a TV set that my roommate purchased.
    Sprint/Metro?
    Coolguyky7, did you read the sedan comparo in C&D that you referred to? It was actually quite complimentary to the Hyundai. Now granted, these were mid-size cars, not low-end cars, but I take your post to refer to American vs. Korean cars in general. There were many positive comments made about the Hyundai's smoothness, quietness ("Lexus-like"), build quality, strong performance (bettered only by the 240hp Altima), fit and finish, interior (including "beautiful" leather seat seams), dash appearence, driver's seat comfort, driver's visibility, rear seat room, etc. Of course, the Hyundai finished fourth, so there were some things the editors didn't find so great, like the handling, and fuel economy (tied with Accord for the lowest in the test).

But I thought the most interesting part of the XG350 review was at the end:

"There's a sense of deja vu about this car--solidly constructed, fairly priced, and fully equipped--at an as-tested price of $24,572 with no options. Japanese cars built their reputations that way, remember?"

I think GM, Ford, and DaimlerChrysler should be more worried about this test than embarrassed.
    I think GM, Ford, and DaimlerChrysler should be more worried about this test than embarrassed.

Backy, I would purchase XG350 before a any Big 3 offering. I'm being "dead nut" honest. Hyundai, is getting credit all the time, for there vastly improved vehicles. I'm not convinced that KIA or Daewoo is able to build tight reliable cars, yet. However, Hyundai has converted me. I'm very concerned about their resale value. That would hold me back. But, if I had to choose between domestic and Hyundai,... Hyundai wins.

Nah, not a Sprint or Metro. It's so cool. You'll never guess. I was pretty sure what vehicle I was getting, however I needed to see if they could upgrade me for free. No go, soooo I drove my wife, son and myself from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West, round trip in a _________________?

-Larry
    There aren't many choices left. InterAmerican advertises the Metro on their Web site. The only other verrry small new cars I can think of are the Lanos, Accent, Rio, and Esteem. Or maybe at that price, they're renting Yugos? ;-)

I once went for the "economy special" rental and got a Chevy Sprint 2-door with a 5-speed to drive between Houston and Austin. In July. At least it had A/C; the speed decreased about 5 mph when it kicked in. My wife was not impressed by my frugality. I made it up to her (sort of) last March on a trip to San Francisco; got a Lincoln LS (company-paid fortunately!). It was fine for cruising California 1, but I'd rather have a small car for daily use.
    OK, a KIA Rio!!! What a riot. Power steering, auto tranny and air. The rest you do yourself! That car put the Low End in "LOW END CARS: Japanese vs. American vs. Euro vs. Korean. HEHE, really not all that bad, I just forgot what it's like to drive a real small econo car!

-Larry
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Get your butt back over to the Protege topic and stop slammin' those Ko-reans.

(BTW Pat, how many Koreans-vs.-the-World topics are there, under different names, on Edmunds now anyway?)

Meade

P.S. Larry, you think that Rio was a small car, you shoulda seen ME (you know how big I am) in a 3-cylinder Geo Metro while my truck was in the shop in '99 ... all that thing needed was a cutting deck and a rear bagger!
    I LOVE my George Foreman grill. Takes the place of my Sunbeam outdoor grill all winter long. And cleanup's as easy as 1-2-3!

Happy eatin's,

Meade
    You could rename this topic:

"Grills, Kias, and Other Appliances that Generate Heat and Go Nowhere Fast."

;-)
  • I thought my suggestion to change the name to Free For All was okay, but I thought lleroi post about wanting to grill me was very funny.

Seriously, I think we should at least drop the European from the title as has been suggestion by another. And I would make one change to my serious title suggestion. It should be Low End Cars Under $15,000:.... Some people might not understand the lesser than sign from my original suggestion and changing it to the word under makes the meaning clear for everyone.
    "really not all that bad, I just forgot what it's like to drive a real small econo car!"
    -larry

I would never buy a vehicle that small, so it's hard for me to compare it to other similar vehicles. The KIA RIO had some good qualities. Overall, after 600 miles of travel, I wouldn't recommened this car to others.

-Larry
    I'm interested in hearing why you wouldn't recommend it to others, Larry. That is what this topic is about, and I'm eager to learn.

Meade
  • That is a good question--why not? Please don't say things like road noise or loud engine because, remember, this is about a $9000 car. Which new car in the $9000 to $10,000 range would you buy in it's place?
  • shriqueshrique Posts: 338
    I would pick up a 97/98 Mazda Protege or Honda Civic. You get a decent car with excellent projected reliability and more features. You may have to look but I think the more car for the money part is worth it.
  • But I said new car. Say you were having to scrape together the $185/mo--or whatever it would be--just to buy a Rio. You don't have the money to replace the transmission in the Protege 4 years from now because the guy who had it first dogged it out too much. In a Rio, that transmission is covered. Remember, MOST Rio buyers are not buying them because it's the car they always wanted. They're buying them because they want a new car (for maintenance reasons) and this is the best they can do.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    The Rio IMHO is a step backward, even if it's based on the same platform. Don't like that shift linkage, the Festiva was much better--maybe because of its Mazda heritage. I've never driven an Accent, but sitting in one, it impresses me more than the Rio. I only paid $11.2 for my Elantra with group 2 convenience package. That extra 2 grand gets you a lot more car. Either that or a late model used Pro or Civic, or a 2000 Elantra which would still have the remainder of 60K in warranty.
    I'll review the 2001 Rio, however I'm not going to slam this car. It kind of grew on me as the week went on. I'm a little busy right now. I will get back to the review later tonight.

-Larry
  • concerning that quote...

I didn't make any additional comment because I think it can be taken one of two ways. It can be complementary to Hyundai that it did better than the American makes and followed right after the Japanese. However, the writer did say it was embarrassing that the Hyundai outranked those American makes. The corollary to that would be that Hyundais don't have a reputation for being a good car. I just left it free for interpretation.
    on the Edmunds.com Preview--the link is on the home page. They have the first pictures I've seen of the rear end and the interior, and more details than I've read anywhere else about this new design. If the car drives anywhere as good as it looks, and Hyundai can keep the price down (please, please) they should have a hot seller. But they'll probably ruin it for people like me who need seating for five in a pinch, and put only 2 seatbelts in the back.
  • bill_1bill_1 Posts: 97
    Backy, I am not sure how much attention you paid, but it looked like there was essentially no leg room for the rear passangers in that car. The Tiburon looks like its going to follow the same formula as most sporty coups, rear seats are for appearance sake or maybe children only.
  • I agree with you. I would rather pony up another 2 grand for an Elantra myself. I would also buy an Accent over Rio. I was just talking about the person scraping just to get the Rio. At least it's new and has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.