Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• Sorry that I pulled a disappearing act again. Probably will be the norm from here on out. Just wanted to comment on the name of the Tacuma. So they are calling it the Topanga. Wasn't that the name of the lead female character in Boy Meets World? Imagine the ads! Now you can buy Topanga! LOL.
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    Topanga is the name of a canyon that has become one of the nicer residential and commercial areas North of LA. The beautiful new Getty Museum is in Topanga Canyon. I think the choice of name reflects the fact that Hyundai uses a design studio in Southern Cal, and/or the fact that many Koreans have relatives, freinds who live in, or have visited Southern California.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    >>> Imagine being able to make a comfortable, quiet, refined car with lots of space that also performs well and offers exitement while being powered by a strong engine that gets excellent gas mileage, not to mention being very safe and easy on insurance. What a dream! <<<

Maybe not a dream. Maybe the '03 Corolla? (With jury still out on safety, and depending on how much excitement one needs.)
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    "So they are calling it the Topanga. Wasn't that the name of the lead female character in Boy Meets World? Imagine the ads! Now you can buy Topanga! LOL."
    -Major Tom

An accident scene: early 2003
    "Sorry sir, I must of banga your Topanga." HEHE, :-)))
  • That's a good one!
  • From a ride/handling standpoint, these are like 2 opposites...kinda like matter and anti-matter for you nerdy people. Actually if the 2 were to come together, I don't think it would cause enormous explosions. You take a good handling car (like a Protege) and people who are more comfort orientated say the ride is too harsh. You take a Corolla and give it to someone with sporting intensions, and they end up sliding into curbs. Focus walks a fine line between the 2. Has a softer ride than a Protege but gives up some handling. There are alot of things that people (especially car magazines) will complain about when there are alot of people who love those things.

Don't beleive the hype. Test it out for yourself and keep an open mind.
  • Larry, good one. I wanted to say something similar, but could not figure out how to do it without violating TOU.
    On Monday, I drove to the York, Pa. Honda Dealer and test drove a 2002 Honda Civic EX Sedan. After that, I drove to the York, Pa. Toyota Dealer and test drove a 2003 Toyota LE. The Honda was a very nice car, however with the side air bags and carpet mats you are fast approaching Accord prices. I will say, my expierence with the Honda Dealer was awesome. No pressure to buy today, showed me the service department, yada yada. Bottom line, I enjoyed both the test drive, the sales guy, the dealer and the Honda Civic. It is easy to see why Honda sells the heck out of the 2002 Civic.

HOWEVER,..... the 2003 Toyota LE is BY FAR the best small sedan in this segment! BY FAR...the B.E.S.T! I was treated very well at DIEHL TOYOTA in York PA. The sales guy Tom Kerns did every thing the Honda guy did and more (a voucher for a free car wash). I drove the LE Sedan, 4 speed Automatic, with alloy wheels, weather guard pac, cruise, stero combo w/th 6 speaker,moon roof, VIP security/keyless entry pac and wheel locks. The car was Indigo Ink Pearl with the stone interior. I loved this car, a baby CAMRY indeed! Handled much better than, I expected. Almost like a upscale mid size car inside (think Volkswagen) and a very smooth drive train/engine combo! How can they sell these so cheap. I really think anyone shopping for a 2002/2003 Vee Dub Jetta GL 2.0 would be a fool to spend the extra $3,000 to $4,000 for that car. The 2003 Corolla is solid, very smart looking and well built.

I was offered $8,500 for my trade (2000 Mazda PRO-ES w/th 35,000 miles) which is Edmunds TMV. Here is the kicker, Diehl Toyota was selling all their LE's for $400.00 under MRSP. That is pretty good for a brand new redesigned Corolla. I declined, but...it was tough!!!

-Larry
    the loaded LE auto Corolla LE I tested Monday was MSRPed at $17,929. I checked my notes again and the sales manager was going to let it go for $17,350. Diehl Toyota is a very high volume dealership. They had a least ten 2003 Corolla's in stock. 3 LE's, no S's and 6 or 7 CE's. I was not seriously shopping, Monday. I guess, you can call me an inconsiderate car buyer, however; I never told either the Honda or Toyota sales guys, I was ready to buy, today. My wife is a little disgruntled with her 2000 Mazda Protege. I was just scouting for some potential replacements. I was also curious on the real world trade value of her 2000 PRO-ES. Bottom line, I have a great sales guy and friend at the Lancaster Toyota Mazda Dealership, where I purchased my last three cars. I'm pretty sure, if I was ready to pull the trigger on a Mazda Pro-5, a Toyota Matrix or a Toyota Corolla (the 3 vehicles still in the running to replace my wife's 2000 PRO-ES before it's out of warranty) I could work out a fair deal with him and my local dealership. Nonetheless, I thought it was VERRRY interesting that the Diehl Toyota Dealership in York, PA. was willing to offer $500.00 off MSRP on their slim stock of LE's? I hope that info is helpful to others, whom might check out this board. Trust me $17,350 for a fully loaded LE is a very very fair price. I repeat, I think Toyota hit a grand slam with this re-design. Before, I would purchase a Jetta or a Civic, I would strongly advice you to test drive the 2003 Corolla!

Respectfully,
    Larry
    Thems fighten words! Take this and that! Had enuf? Watch your mouth or I'll give you a knuckle sandwich.

-Larry
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    After all, the hosts may be lurking and not understand that we're friends. They may swoop down and spank us!!!

Meadeball
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Ahem - whaddya think, I'm sleepin' at the wheel all this time?

;->
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Good to see you again!

Meade
  • Not knocking the Corolla, but to me low end is $12,000 after discounts and rebates. That leaves the Corolla of any model outside of the parameters.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Some time ago we agreed that the "low end" ceiling for purposes of this board is $15,000. The Corolla fits under that limit (especially in CE trim). There aren't many cars that fit a $12k-after-discounts limit--mostly the Korean compacts, and the ECHO. Defintely not the Intrepid. ;-)
  • the Topanga is made by Daewoo not Hyundai. Read back a few posts and you'll see the reason for the clarification. jkobty saw the Australian version of Daewoo's Tacuma/Topanga and it left a favorable impression on him. He didn't drive one but mentioned something about dashing good looks and tall appearance. Correcto, jkobty? Jump in if I'm misrepresenting something you said a couple of weeks ago, OK? I doubt whether I'd jump from the high Sportage perch but I want to take a gander at this new Daewoo entry on Washington state roads. There's a new Lanos 4-door sedan in Everett downtown that I've been catching small glimpses of on my way home from work. Daewoo is styling pretty well right now. They've got a lot of catching up to do in sales but their cars aren't bad looking. They're not Kia's mind you, but....

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    a new Corolla and a Jetta, or an Elantra for that matter. Corollas are still cramped even with the higher seating position. This is the only negative as far as I am concerned.
    Is that your opinion or a statement of fact?

-Larry
    It is based on my sitting in them, in a strip of several dealers where you can go from one manufacturer to the next, and from owning an Elantra GT. While the specs may or may not say one thing, Jettas (and all VWs for that matter) have a combination of driver seat adjustments and leg room that are unmatched for the length of the car, and that includes the height adjustable passenger seat as well. I find the Elantra not as good as VW, but much better than the Corolla or Civic and Protege, for that matter. Is it my opinion? Yes? But the answer comes from my legs and feet! I also continue to think that the new Corolla seat is rather mushy, like the 02s. So, I guess you can see that is my opinion!
    My 2 cents, only. The seats in the 2003 Toyota Corolla are very firm and still comfortable. Plenty of leg room. However, everyone's body is shaped a little different. Gil, doesn't care for the seats and that is his valued opinion. The best advice is, to get a test drive and put in a little seat time.

-Larry
  • $15k does open it up to more automobiles. The Corolla is a strong contender, but I would probably wait one year until supply catches up with demand. I've never driven one, but they look kind of tall and tipsy, like the Echo. I'm sure resale value will be strong as usual.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    Here's one I hadn't seen yet. The Nissan March. Priced at around $7,885 with a 1-cylinder engine.

Take a gander:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4676&n=156,173&sid=173
    A VW Beetle type nose? Humm....over here in 2004 or 2005.

• freddy_kfreddy_k Posts: 376
    A look at the future of petrolium based transportation, or a mistake by nissan?? ;-)
  • looks ok but i think the lowest i will go is 4 cylinders.
    as far as 4-cylinders in my vehicle's engine, minimum. I'm looking forward to seeing Daewoo's new Topanga on a Washington state street somewhere. I actually see plenty of Woo's on roads 'round these parts.

• yeah,i might have to buy my car first and put off the truck till later.my list is the spectra and rio,low end focus maybe.if the price is right.hey guesswho this is?just joking.
  • supremesupreme Posts: 38
    03-02-2002
    My 2000 Kia Sephia is approaching 2 years on the road. I turned 40,400 miles and sought to replace the original tires. One seller, with a reasonable price for a 65,000 mile 185/65/14R ("s") rating would not sell the tire to me because Kia originals are a ("h") rating which I was told has a speed rating of 130 mph. Come now,
    I think they just didnt want to honor the $42.95 per tire selling price. So without raising my blood pressure I went on to the next dealer who sold me a 60,000 mile ("s") rated tire $44.95 @ four for the price of three. Do you think I'm gonna violate my Sephia with a tire that cant handle 130mph? Help me understand. Supreme.
    that they're saying you're buying a tire with too high of a speed rating for Sephia? On my '99 Sephia I replaced the Kumho's at around 52,000 miles with Yokohama's in the standard Sephia size. Those were great tires! I had some Konig Diva wheels put on at the same time and the car looked nice. You already bought the second tire offer supreme?

Don't read the latest CR if you own one. Makes you cringe.