Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,732
    The high repair cost was due to the airbags going off vs. structural issues. Kia is checking into that; they should not have deployed on a bumper test. However, the Sedona did score extremely high on the NHTSA crash tests.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    "What this translates to in real life is an extremely smooth engine with a wide power band and none of the power spikes found in other VTEC engines. This engine just pulls and pulls. At the same time its efficient, giving the Si expected overall fuel economy of 28 mpg."

by Car & Driver

http://www.roadandtrack.com/RoadAndTrack/first_drives/1201_honda_civic_si.html

• yeppyepp Posts: 5
    Just because it made more then 4000 dollars in damage, it can't be considered the Worst Minivan Ever.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    But it can be considered the worst performer ever in that area of safety.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Posts: 361
    I don't see how a fender bender translates into vehicle safety. It's only 5 MPH!!! I don't think the passengers in the vehicle could possibly be harmed in that type of crash. In fact, the Sedona scored double 5-star front and side impact ratings on NHTSA. I don't think the IIHS offset tests are out yet, but if the Sedona does well on them, Kia may have a winner on their hands.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/dai/2002/march/20020314_dai_kia.xml

"In all, the Sedona ran up a total of $9,000 in damage in four such tests. In one of them, the Sedona's air bags went off when it was crashed into a flat barrier at five miles per hour. Both driver and passenger side air bags deployed, and the passenger side air bag cracked the front windshield. The total cost of repair was $4,305."

"....but if the Sedona does well on them, Kia may have a winner on their hands." NOT!!!! I could never lay down my hard earned money on such crappy vehicle?

-Larry
    "But Corollas have stiff competition in the small-car segment these days, and some of the opposition—notably the Korean entries—are much better equipped at comparable prices and offer highly competitive warranties to offset the Corolla's famous reliability."

CAR & DRIVER

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/previews/2002/february/200202_preview_corolla.xml?Manufacturer=Toyota&Name=Corolla&class=43

• ...really doesn't work for this car. It makes the car look more echolike (taller) and from the front, it looks tacky. I don't say this becuase I hate body kits. I actually like tastfully done body kits, nothing to curvy,swoopy, or rounded.

I did see a new Corolla in person last week (LE I think) without the body kit and the car look decent. Nothing ground breaking. This is definatly a car for the masses.
  • shriqueshrique Posts: 338
    Corolla:

To be honest I sat the in the Corolla this weekend and I really wasn't that impressed. Everybody is talking "Lexus Like" and I just wasn't that impressed with the interior. It's VERY plain with no interesting points to it at all. Matter of fact I was thinking german 80's cars. Boring and flat. The switch gear felt ok but I didn't think it was anything phenomenal by any means. It may drive totally different but the interior gave me that "budget" feeling. I am biased being a P5 owner but I do think the dash on the P5 is a lot more interesting.

Daewoo:

Has anyone seen that Daewoo with the rotating front seats? Man that is just odd. I can't imaging parking myself in that little car and fighting for foot space just to have a conversation. Now if that were able to figure out how to make the seatbelts work in that position THAT would be cool.

Suzuki:

Not incredibly impressed with the Aerio (sp). Seems like a nice enought car and it had plenty of room for "stuff" but the dash was kinda strange. Many budget cars this year seem like they are putting the running gear in the middle of the dash so that they can switch markets really easily. Suzuki made the dash exactly the same on both sides and they used a digital dash that they could flop back and forth in a little slot on each side

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2002/suzuki/aerio/sx4drwagon20l4cyl5m/photo_3.html

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2002/suzuki/aerio/sx4drwagon20l4cyl5m/photo_3.html

Honda:

The Civic interior is boring. However the seats they put in there are phenomenal! Monster side bolster feel like you could be in a jet fighter. The shifter even though in the dash feels great (as usual though no shift knob). I still think it looks like a door stop though.

Subaru:

WRX. Ugly. But who CARES! If I had more money AFter driving one last year and sitting in it this weekend I would still buy one in a heartbeat.

KIA:

The Spectra isn't too bad but for a larger guy like myself they really have to add tilt steering that goes a little higher. With the seat cranked down as low as it would go and the steering wheel as high as it would go I still had to wedge myself between the two. The seats are just a little too soft for my liking.

The conversion van section is very scary. They had an Aztek that had hood scoops (why?) and a jacked up 4x4 conversion van with a 21" TV.

That's all I can remember on a monday morning.

Shrique

• freddy_kfreddy_k Posts: 376
    The P5 interior is more interesting beause they painted the trim with silver, otherwise there really isn't anything that special about it. The way Protege fans go on, you'd think they used real aluminum.
    Theres something to be said about that but there is still the fact that it LOOKS more interesting. Plus there are some contouring around the radio etc that bring out VISUAL interest. Adding a little bit of color and contouring goes a long way towards making a dash appealing to the eye. Oh and I suppose it makes a difference that they used FAKE (oh no!) carbon fiber on the dash as well on the P5.
    Don't worry, I agree with you, but while I was looking at these cars I found that the Protege fans claimed a higher quality intererior, fooled by the more interesting, as you put it, design and not realizing that the actual quality is the same. I do commend them for adding that little something to the car, fake or not.
    I was told before I looked that the Impreza (my final choice) that it had an inferior interior to the Protege, but it turned out that the quality was a least equal once you looked past the bleak, uninterrupted blackness of it. I'll assume they put more effort into the WRX though.
    owning one for a while The one thing that is going to bother me about the P5 is the fact that they brought the fake suede-like fabric up onto the sill of the window. I've started to notice that my left arm is starting to matt down the fabric. I have a feeling that it's not going to look too good after a while. As far as quality of materials goes I think your right in saying that the Civic, Protege, Corolla & Impreza all seem to share about the same quality of materials. The Protege spends a bit more time on style than the rest. This all refers to the center console. All the gauge clusters of these cars are pretty blah but easy to read.
    Just wondering if the Corolla you saw with the boring interior was the LE with the woodgrain or another model? I saw the S with all-black interior and THAT was boring to me (but I don't like black interiors anyway).
    I looked at both of them. Personally I'm not a fan of wood-grain trim in cars. I would rather see tastfully used material like metal and different textures of vinyl, plastic etc. Maybe even toss in some colors. Your right maybe the S affected my feeling about the interior. That car was very very plain.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    My DX has a silver strip running along the bottom of the windows. I wonder if this is painted or real metal? It looks pretty real to me.
    They probably still used real metal in Corollas back in '96, before the de-contenting craze hit all the automakers.

BTW... I saw a Lexus ad for the LS430 today and it struck me how similar the front/side profile looked like the '02 Corolla, but much beefier of course. I wonder if there was a conscious effort on Toyota's part for the new Corolla to resemble the Lexus.
    Check out Edmunds.com's first drive of the Suzuki Aerio, link on the home page. They were pretty impressed. My question is, why spend $15k for an Aerio when you can get a Corolla LE or S, or a loaded Elantra GT for the same money?

There's also a big buzz about the newly-unveiled Saturn Ion, the replacement for the S-Series. Check out the Saturn Ion board if you want to see pics and commentary. The exterior styling is interesting, especially the 4-door coupe; the engine is the 2.2L 137 hp Ecotech; and the interior is... well, think of the ECHO on growth hormones. At least it has full gauges.
    At lower prices you usually have a choice. GM makes cars at these prices with all sorts of gizmos, gadgets and blinking lights, at the expense of a decent car. On the other extreme why would someone pay more then this for a car that comes with no options? because it's the drive they are looking for.
    I just chose the bottom end Imprezza over the top end of many cars that come with way more features becuase it drove nicer, handled better, and had a more comfortable (hey, I never said nicer) interior then any of them. Looking past the outward appearance took some guts though!

As for the Saturn, I expect the new Saturn should drive just as, um... zzzzzzzzz.... snore.... -what's that, I must have been driving a Saturn ;-)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    to the article backy mentions: First Drive: 2002 Suzuki Aerio.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,707
    The Suzuki Aerio at first glance reminds me of Toyota's Echo. Short and squishy look and kind of a cute look. I like the looks of the Aerio SX more than the sedan and it does strike a resemblance to the planned new Daewoo Topanga. Suzuki build quality? Should be fine. I haven't heard any horror stories about Suzuki build quality or performance but it's not something I would worry about. Actually, Suzuki is at the top of my Japanese car list. Should bop over to Motor Trend and see if they have a Daewoo "name the U100 winner" update. I e-mailed DaewooUS and they said they're still working out the publishing details on releasing the winner's name and the details regarding the give away, etc. I think a lot more of Daewoo that they're following through and giving a Topanga away like they said they would.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

"I think a lot more of Daewoo that they're following through and giving a Topanga away like they said they would."
    by iluvmysephia1

Prolly the best way to move a new or used Daewoo, is to GIVE them away.

-old head
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Years 2000-02. Range from $7985 to $20,568. Average asking price $12,892-- better than I would have thought. The listing didn't sort correctly, couldn't find who wanted $20.5, but Budget Rent-a-car was selling a whole bunch for $20.2+. What's that tell you about rentals selling at low price? These were for 2001's. I assume Budget dickers. I know Enterprise advertises that they are non-negotiable.
    Anybody notice as they complete this year's Federal Tax Return the word that appears on the bottom left corner of all the forms? Hmmmm.... subliminal advertising, perhaps? ;-)
    Happy Easter to All!

God Bless,
    Larry
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Posts: 314
    I don't come to a car list for Christianity. Let's stick to cars, shall we?
    I was refraining from saying something myself :-)
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    As you are telling him not to. There's something called free speech, and unfortunately too many people in this country are so hellbent on enforcing the rights of the audience that you forget that the messenger has the right to say what he wants too.

(Before you point out that you're Canadian, I'll remind you that Edmunds is a U.S. business.)

If you don't like Larry's message, don't read it. There's freedom of choice for you.

Geesh.

Meade

P.S. Happy Easter to you, Trudy and LJ, Larry!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    If so, you may want to read this ...

http://www.auto.com/industry/nhtsa2_20020402.htm

Meade

• lawman1967lawman1967 Posts: 314
    Happy Easter is fine, its the "God Bless" part that I don't care for. Even that is ok if done in an appropriate context, but this is a car list.

I have no want or need for Christianity, and should have to be bombarded with it on a car list.