Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Nice to see you majorthomecho - don't be such a stranger!
  • Even when I am around, I am (a) strange(r). ; )
  • When I go to the Auto Show, here is a list of the cars that I really want to take a look at. The one thing they have in common is that they are small cars.

Mazda3
    BMW 1 Series (probably won't be there)
    Mini Cooper
    Dodge Neon SRT-4
    Chevrolet Aveo
    Scion Xa and Xb

I have not been as plugged in to the car world as I have been in the past so if anyone has recommendations as to a small car I should check out, let me know.

Time for me to run some errands.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    But you should check out the all-new Spectra. It's quite a looker for an economy 4-door, has std. 4-wheel discs, side air curtains, and a VVT engine, and is built on a new platform that will also be used for the next-gen Elantra. Quality is supposed to be way up compared to the prior Spectra. You might also check out the 2.3L Focus which has good power plus is a PZEV. The Volvo S40 isn't a low-end car, but it's built on the same platform as the Mazda3 so it might be in your size category. Also the Scion tC is supposed to be pretty hot. Have fun!
  • I figured you were out there somewhere! Enjoy your Auto Show experience and do chime back in what you enjoyed about it(or didn't like). I'd check out the Kia Spectra there-it's new design looks great and it offers a lot of car for the money. Also, the Mazda 3 and yes, the Chevy Aveo. I for one want to read your review of Aveo. Gotta get back to my homework-later on!

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• I thought Iluv was in his 40s. If he really has homework, how old is he?
  • I should point out that some of those on my list are cars that could be a replacement for my Echo and some are on the list because they are new.

The BMW, the Mini, and the Neon are on the list because they could be replacements. The others are on the list because they are new.

I will take a look at the new Spectra because it is new, but it is not even remotely on the list of cars that may take the Echo's place.
  • I'm going to college to re-train after getting a pink slip from The Boeing Company in Everett. I'm way over in mid-Missouri attending college and re-training to be a Respiratory Therapist. Thanks to Uncle Sam and NAFTA I'm in a great program that allows me to concentrate on my studies, get Unemployment Insurance and NOT have to search for work as long as I progress in my studies, etc. The Trade Act is paying for tuition and books completely(hence, thanks Uncle Sam)and I'm on my way into the Allied Health field, one that needs all the help it can get right now in Nursing and Respiratory Therapy, might I add. Here's to that new Kia Spectra out soon and all of your health!

• Iluv, you are in my neck of the woods? Yikes!

Seriously though sorry to hear about the job loss and great choice in the field you are studying for. Health care will always be in demand.
  • There is a difference between the cars I would consider replacing the Echo and those I am just going to look at because they are new.

If I replace the Echo, I am motivated by totally different factors than what drove me to choose the Echo in the first place.

Those on the possible replacement lists are on there because they are light years ahead of the Echo in terms of performance (Neon and Mini) or their maker has a great name (BMW 1 Series).

If I were to look at the rest of my overall list as replacements, I would be motivated by quality, probable dependability, fuel economy, decent performance, and looks. I really think the rest of the list would come up short against the Echo and that being the case, I would be motivated to keep the Echo.
    If you're going to replace your beloved ECHO, you might as well go for something different. The 1 Series intrigues me also but I wonder if they will be at this year's auto show. How about the Focus SVT? That's received excellent reviews by the car mags.
  • the Boeing job and the brighter future ahead. I am feeling pretty upbeat about what I'm training in right now and I'll eventually go get myself a good job. Gone is all of the negativity surrounding sorry Boeing Commercial Aircraft.
        As to your impending car search, what do you think of the Scion's? For instance, what about the Scion xA for you? A competent design AND a low price and that reputed Scion quality(I'm going out on a limb there a bit but you know that it's not by much, major, right? Toyota with a different badge, eh?

• majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    I am not really a hatchback kind of guy and I believe both the Scions and the Focus SVT are hatchbacks.

The SVT would also have to overcome the negative feelings generated by the test drive I took of the Focus sedan.

And both Scions currently available are the Echo in different bodies. Not quite different enough and they come with the same engine as the Echo but with a greater weight for it to push around which means performance suffers.
    Here are some quick thoughts about the Aveo. It will probably not have the quality of the Echo. Probably won't be as durable as the Echo. Doesn't get the great gas mileage of the Echo and with gas expected to reach $2.00 a gallon this summer where I live, that is a consideration.

As far as body style goes, I don't like that the gas tank is located on the passenger side. It seems much easier to me to fill up when the gas tank is on the driver's side.
    Other than offering another new-car alternative for people who only have about $9000 to spend on a new car, I don't see the value proposition in it when larger cars that are better equipped and offer comparable or better fuel economy are available.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    Keep in mind, Aveo MSRPs are before rebates. There are Aveos (stripped) for sale in Los Angeles for $7999. That is a _lot_ of car for the money. When you consider that the xB is $6500 more, all of the sudden the Aveo seems like an amazing value.

Better gas mileage, better acceleration, $6500 cheaper, those are big issues. Of course, it probably won't be as reliable, and it doesn't have the xB's biggest selling point, it's looks, but I would definitely consider it if I was going to buy a car right now.

I'd really like to see a comparison between the Aveo, xB, xA, and whatever else is hanging out down there in the sub $15,000 5-door hatch category.
    You folks in L.A. are lucky--cars sound a lot cheaper out there. What is the going price for a Rio or Accent these days? Here in Minnesota, you can get a Rio for about $7500. The lowest advertised price I've seen for a base Aveo is $8999--no air of course. I also saw an ad for a 2003 Elantra with 12,000 miles, automatic, power moonroof, and full warranty to 100,000 miles for $7999. I think that is the kind of car that is the real competition for the stripped Aveos (and Rios and Accents).

Actually the xB has slightly better fuel economy than the Aveo. The Aveo's numbers really aren't that great for such a small car; e.g. just a hair better than the larger Elantra and worse than Japanese compacts.

I think the sub-$15,000 hatch comparison would be very interesting. Depending on how you define "hatchback", there's the Aveo, Focus, Accent, Spectra, xA, xB, and Rio all under $15k before discounts/rebates, and a few more like the Matrix and Elantra just over $15k.
    I did already, but IMO some of the categories are messed up. For example, how can you have cars like the Sentra SE-R, Focus SVT, and Neon SRT-4 in the "Under $15,000 Sedans" category? That destroys the integrity of the category. Also, if you're going to have those cars in there, you might as well include the Mitsu Evo, which is a gussied-up Lancer, right?
    Hi backy - why don't you send those comments to the editors via the "Contact Us" tab found under the "Help" link at the top (and bottom) of the page.

It's not very likely that they will see them here.
    I'll let you know what they say.
    My long reply got erased, so I will summarize.

You're right about fuel economy. I really want to test drive an Aveo to see how it compares to the xB, I've only sat in one up until this point.

We need to come up with some hard and fast rules about what qualified as an xB and Aveo competitor. Upright 5-door wagon? What makes them different from other wagons? Distance from c-pillar to rear window?
    Not sure what you mean by that, but none of your posts have been deleted. Hope we don't have a glitch somewhere.
    My trip to the auto show is later today unless I can score some tickets to Art Garfunkel which would mean the auto show gets pushed back to Sunday. I will try to post my impressions on Monday.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    A glitch? The site is full of them. Every topic I view today says it is - READ ONLY and created by me.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    grandtotals comments above. It says 'Read Only' atthe top of every thread and that I created them, when I didn't create them. Also, I went to edit one of my posts in the 'Chevrolet Aveo-sedans'thread and it told me that it couldn't trace the source of the post, or something like that. It didn't say 'Guest' at the top but it said my nickname, too. I don't know what's going on but there's something a bit awry. With the Aveo post I wanted to edit and it wouldn't let me, I just deleted it and re-posted my revised thought. FYI. Hope this helps explain the problem and doens't muddy it firther!

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    here we go again. See my post above and the grammatical errors in the first line? I tried to select 'edit' and go in and fix them. It comes back with a message about 'Could not locate message-pathname is not valid'. Something's awry all right. My name and nickname show up above like usual but it still says that this is a 'Read Only' thread and that I created this thread, which I did not. Whattup?

Yeah, I'm having all the same issues - it's been reported and is being looked at.

But this isn't the same thing as someone thinking their post was erased ...
    The issues that some have been having with seeing the discussions as created by themselves and titled READ-ONLY, and not being able to edit their own messages appear to have been corrected. If anyone else is still having a problem, please report it in the Our Software dicussion. Thanks!
    ...but actually I erased my own post by being stupid enough to not dump my AOL subscription and subsequently getting knocked offline.