Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,632
    any mag would rate a four-year-old Mazda and a Korean car ahead of the all-new Corolla? Could this be the first sign of the Apocalypse?

Re "portfolio of feels and features", I think these car mag editors must get some kind of "creative writing" bonus. Maybe they could spend less time coming up with flowery language and more time paying attention to the cars they are reviewing, e.g. failing to notice that the engine on the Corolla has changed since 2002 and is no longer 125 hp.
    Edmunds.com's Top Picks are out, and I see they agreed with me on 2 out of 3 categories, the only difference being I picked the Corolla for the best under-$15,000 sedan and they picked the Elantra. I'm not unhappy about that, since I own an Elantra and love it, but IMO the Corolla is just a bit better overall, if you fit in the driver's seat. I'm still surprised they totally ignored the hatchback category in their Top Picks.
  • Instead of speculating what might be the best 2003 low end car out there, let's talk about facts for a second. The fact is that the best mileage car with a gasoline engine is the Echo (with a manual transmission). This according to the government. There are other vehicles that have achieved higher ratings, but those are all either diesels or hybrids.

Thus the choice is clear, if you want the best mileage in a gasoline powered vehicle, buy the Echo.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    So what? Does that make the Echo the best 2003 low end car? IMO, nobody in their right mind would walk into a Toyota dealership and pick the Echo over the new Corolla. There is almost no difference in gas mileage between the two cars. Hmmm...minimal (and I mean MINIMAL) fuel savings, or a better car in every way? The choice is clear.....
  • Buy the ECHO! Just kidding, both cars are good though, if you like the interior of the ECHO.
    >>> Thus the choice is clear, if you want the best mileage in a gasoline powered vehicle, buy the Echo. <<<

Last time I checked, both the Prius and Civic Hybrid have a fuel filler pipe that accepts gasoline. Does that make them "gasoline powered"? Does that mean they are better cars than the ECHO, because they get better gas mileage?

I have to agree with newcar31, saying a car is the "best" because it is tops (?) in one category seems like a narrow viewpoint. I could just as easily say that the Aerio has the most horsepower of any low-end car, so that makes it the best low-end car. Or the Protege has the best handling, so of course it is the best low-end car. The Civic has the best shifter, so it's the best car too. And the Spectra has the best... er, ah, hmmm.... warranty, yes, <i>warranty, that's it, so that makes it the best low-end car. No, wait, the Accent, Elantra, and Rio have the same warranty, so they are all the best low-end cars!

Glad to see you back posting again, Major!
  • with an unbeatable warranty. This thread just needed a little shot of common sense, that's all. Hey majorthom, where ya been? Been playing a new video game or new-world order Monopoly, eh?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

You can "win" a catagory like that. What if I was to say: "The Protege and Elantra are the best looking low end cars" How do like that?
    You CAN'T win a catagory like that.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    Car and Driver beat the Corolla, because it has the sportiest handling of the bunch, something there greatly prefer. The Corolla was the hot-rod of the bunch, but its ride is more tuned for comfort and handling.
    Did you mean to say that Car and Driver preferred the Protege because it had the sportiest handling of the bunch?
  • If you go back and read my original post, you will see that I acknowledge (though not by name) that the Prius and the Civic get better gas mileage, but the fact is those are HYBRIDS.

My original post stands.
    What was the point of your original post?
  • Where in my post did I say that having the best gas mileage made the 2003 Echo the best of the bunch? I didn't. In fact, I said that we should leave the speculation behind and deal with facts.

I also wonder about something. How many of us have actually driven or at least ridden in ALL of the 2003 low end cars. I know I haven't therefore I don't feel I can declare the 2003 Echo or any 2003 the best of the bunch. If you haven't driven or ridden in EVERY 2003 low end car out there, what makes you feel qualified to declare a winner?
  • The post I just posted deals with what my point is.
  • Don't let my presence fool you. It does not mean I am back on any long term basis. The factors keeping me from posting as much as I have in the past still exists.

The principal ones are lack of time and outdated computer equipment.

Got to get ready for work so it is bye for now.
    I just don't understand what your original post adds to this discussion. Facts are good, but if that's all that matters, then this discussion is useless. People can look that stuff up themselves. It would be like me coming in here and saying that the Protege has 130 hp. It's true that it does have 130 hp, but so what? The Echo may get good gas mileage, but there are cars out there that get almost the same mileage and are way better. Corolla anyone?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    Quote from their article
    "Faithful readers know exactly what to expect from the coolly analytical professionals who compose this unbiased journal. Here we're rating a group of frugal four-doors, right? Obviously, then, the econocar of choice will be selected for its stand-out achievement in (select one):

a. Gas mileage?
    b. Trade-in value?
    c. Passenger comfort?
    d. 0-to-60 time?

The correct answer is none of the above. We may say that we have your transportation interests in mind, but when it's time to vote, the winner is always the one that's most fun for us to drive....."

When magazines test cars, whether it's C&D, MT, R&T, CR, etc....unless you can somehow eliminate the "human" factor, it's always going to be subjective to some degree. C&D prefers cars with a sportier touch. Only on rare occasions the more comfy tuned car win (such as the Acura 3.0CL vs. Toyota Solara SLE test)
    Of course the magazine comparos are going to be subjective. What would be the point if they weren't? If you want complete objectivity, compare spec sheets and don't read magazine articles.
    I read your original post, and you said, quite clearly I thought,

Thus the choice is clear, if you want the best mileage in a gasoline powered vehicle, buy the Echo.

Also, I was really hoping for a classic "Majorthomecho post chain", which we don't see much any more. :-)

I thought maybe you were writing on the current thread of "best low-end 2003 car." Of course, what you were really were doing was starting a new thread on "best gas mileage of a low-end car." I for one appreciate your taking time out of your busy schedule to remind us of the ECHO's superiority in that area. I was wondering, with all that money you save on gas with the ECHO, maybe you could upgrade your computer. They're getting pretty cheap these days.

BTW, I've driven all the low-end cars with the exception of the Spectra. (But then, I've never tried shooting myself in the head, either.) I assume from your comment/challenge, Major, that you have driven them all, including the Elantra GLS and GT? I've never seen your comments on those test drives. What did you think of them?