Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wish list for Next Gen Tacoma - what would you improve

Comments

• beantacobeantaco Posts: 12
    My local toyota dealer says there is nothing new for the 2002 tacoma, has anyone heard otherwise?
  • got1bgot1b Posts: 48
    I'm not technically smart, but I've test driven a lot of four doors, and probably have seen them earlier then most (Haiti, 93). Here is my dream:

1. I like the Dakota's size and power ( to bad that won't make them well). Not to small, nor do I feel like I'm driving a tank down the road, especially in the city. So, I'd say increase the size a little and add an 8 cylinder option with the towing ability to go with it.

2. Mid-gate's are the future. Chevy has it, Subaru will have it in a year or two and I believe VW has something in the works. I'd also make it with an electric slider.

3. A built in cargo bed liner and hard taneau cover are good. I especially like Sport-Tracks with the tie down points. Practical if carrying a lot of gear for the outdoors.

4. If the 8 cylinder does not happen, I'd go with a Supercharger package. Nissan has it, and from what I can see, Toyota's is much better.

All with Toyota's quality and ruggedness.

That's my two cents worth.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    1. Offer IRS. If anybody can make a truck with IRS, Toyota can—and I'm sure it can be made to tow. The IRS-equipped Mercedes ML and BMW X5 currently match or exceed the current live-axle Tacoma as far as towing is concerned.

2. Offer a 5-speed automatic.

3. Offer a triple-range full-time 4WD transfer case, with shift-on-the-fly capability between High, Medium and Low ranges. High range would be for normal driving. Middle range would be for towing or heavy loads, and moderate off-road use. Low range would be for the most difficult situations.

4. Offer a fold-out and drop-down tailgate that could be used as a loading ramp for motorcycles, etc.

5. The crew cab needs larger rear doors.

Bob
  • amoralesamorales Posts: 196
    greater towing capacity for your Drag boats, Jayco camping trailers, stalled domestic full size trucks that run out of gas
  • but adding the V8 as an option and the possibility of getting the extra foot back for my DC bed would make me think long and hard about trading up. I would have to clean out my garage to get the thing in there, but it sure would be nice.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    for a limited slip diff in the future.The 02 tundra will be offering it as an option so hopefully they will also for the tacoma!
  • Isn't the limited slip available through TRD as a replacement part? I originally thought that limited slip would be better for my rare use because it automatically sends at least a portion of the torque to the wheel that needs it. However, I understand that the clutches will wear over time and it isn't apparent until you need it and it isn't there. Maybe the locker is better in that respect for my expected usage.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    Yeah ive seen that listed but it's not for me since i lease the truck.
  • To LSD or TRD.... that is the question.

Ya know, if you have a selectable option, and you need traction, locker is better.

If you were looking for traction in the snow, get the 4X4 with the 4wheel on demand button. It will do the job and you'll avoid the headache of an LSD.

John
  • To have a bare bones 4x4 DoubleCab, it would have saved me $4000 in SR5 packages, with all this extra TRD sticker, white speedo, CD, electric this and that, bla bla bla... they forgot to put a electric sunroof, and a locking fuel door.

I would have purchase the Nissan SC CrewCab for the same price. If I know the Toyota transmission was crappy.

Don't get me started on the clock.
  • Well, I sure hope they improve the bushings in the clutch assembly. I'm tired of hearing my clutch's squeaking bouts, even though it works just fine.

Hmmm, what else? GET RID OF THAT HIDEOUS NEW GRILL DESIGN AND GO BACK TO THE 1998 STYLE!!!

The curved/sloping shape of the top of the doors and roof means that anytime the door or window is opened, a mini-avalance/downpour of snow/water (depending on where you live; I've seen both) falls directly into the truck's interior. It is substantially worse than other vehicles I've had.

I'm not fond at all of some of the pinstriping, graphics, door molding, etc. some of the new Tacomas are sporting. Keep it plain.

That's it. I'm thankful that my gripes are very minor annoyances, not major headaches. After over three years, I still love my truck and wouldn't trade it in for anything else.
  • jim4444jim4444 Posts: 124
    Please explain. (Not the drug, the differential!)
  • Like your comments sebring. I agree, Toyota should add at least one more engine option to the Tacoma 4x4. I'm not sure they need to go with a V8 but certainly a bigger V6 with a few more horses and torque. I've driven the 3.5L, 240 HP Nissan Pathfinder and man does that vehicle move!

I'd like to see an option for either a bigger interior or longer cargo bed. Of course having all these different options means more cost in the mfg. process. But it looks like Nissan is going that route. Something Toyota is not going to do. Toyota's motto, 'Keep it simple'. I'd also like to see Independent Rear Suspension for a softer ride. Lower the ground clearance and smaller tires for us folks who aren't going to be doing any serious off-roading. Wasn't that the idea behind the double cab? A more family oriented truck?

And maybe some day fix the location of the clock and add a locking gas cap.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    My 95 Tacoma had a locking gas cap, keyed the same as the ignition. Very nice. Seems like Toyota keeps getting rid of the simple stuff that is actually useful. I was bummed when my 97 Camry arrived with a cheap prop rod for the hood instead of the gas struts which previous models had. Nickel here, nickel there, before you know it they'll be down there with every other vehicle on the road.....
  • Overseas calls the Tacoma Hilux, they have Turbo diesel version of the Hilux, it will not sell in US, but i would buy one. I really don't think anyone else in the world use the four door Tacoma for a "family oriented truck", except US. it's used for the dirty job site. There were Four Door trucks out there way before the term "CrewCab or DoubleCab", and family was not in mind.

The ladder chasse was the reason i purchased my truck, designed to go off road and less twist to the chasse, if i want a uni-body, i would have purchased a SUV (yuk). I Snow Ski in the winter and Jet Ski in the summer, the rear door was in ocean water last month while hauling a ski in the bed through a sand dune. I need the height. Please don't make this a puss mobile. It was already a puss when they made it 40 ft turning radius, factory changed it for people who does not know how to drive a high CG vehicle.

The Toyota keep it simple does not applied for some Tacomas, there are too many electronic sensors that will keep the truck not starting. When i brought my truck back to the dealer, the mechanic told me if the truck will not start within two seconds, wait a couple more, the computer needs to check all sensors before it will start. i feel like driving a microsoft os based truck sometimes. The difflock and 4WD-H is also electronic, i hope it will last longer than my 100k extended warenty.

I love my Taco TuRD 4WD DC, it will never replace my 88 Honda Civic with 264k miles it's been the same places my truck has, not as smooth but it has. But I hope Toyota will fix the bugs we all have listed. We can only sit back and see, will they listen?
  • I agree with chiweiho on his ideas of what a truck should be. The first things I would change on mine (if I thought I had a snowball's chance in hell of getting it by the marketing dept.) would be to go back to a vinyl floor liner and more durable cloth for the seat covering. If not for the husky liners that I had bought for my truck, I would have already ruined the carpeting with red Georgia clay. Electronic gadgets are nice and usually much more convenient but they always increase the possibility of something eventually going wrong. Ground clearance is another plus for me too. Everything my wife and I drive is 4WD ('01 D-cab, '92 Pathfinder, '85 Toy Pickup) but we rarely engage 4WD on any of them. The ground clearance is really missed when you don't have it though. My wife's previous car was a '96 Saturn SC1 and we had to be ever vigilant since we live out in the sticks. I know the IFS front end is here to stay and it does drive out much better than the live axle front end, but the performance of the live axle is the main reason I hate to get rid of my '85. As for the diesel, I would consider it but from what I have seen in the past, Toyota diesels run virtually forever but are a pain to have serviced because not even the dealer is familiar with them.
  • The Tundra V8 engine...

So I could mop up Dakota V8s and the upcoming 1-6 4.2 S10/Colorado. With the 3.4 in my 99 Tacoma I already give the Dakota V8 a run for its money... But a 245 horsepower 315 ft/lbs of torque engine in the Tacoma would be just toooooooooooooo swwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeet....
  • I could be wrong but I believe a new V6 will come out with the 2003 Tacoma. Would anyone have any info on this?
  • Why would someone who design the TacomaDC cup holders with different diameters (size). Was ordering 2 Super Quencher drink from Jack in the Box, one fit in the back holder and the other did not fit in the front.

I am still looking for the ergo designer for the TacoDC. This person need to design function before form.
  • mpazosmpazos Posts: 42
    Auto makers need to bring small displacement diesel engines to the US. Have a bigger gas engine available for the racers, but have a diesel available for the folks who use their vehicles for working. They are very dependable, last a long time, and are very economical on fuel. Diesels engines are not rocket science and the maintenance/repair can be learned by most. The main reason I drive a 3/4 ton heavy duty pickup truck is because of the diesel engine. Put a diesel in a smaller truck and I would probably downsize.
This discussion has been closed.