Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wish list for Next Gen Tacoma - what would you improve

Comments

• Wheeldog,

My dealer has had my Tacoma's dashboard apart at least three times because of a non-functioning tachometer, and finally was able to correct this by replacing the printed circuit board that controls it. The creaking has gotten noticeably worse since the cold weather began. It gets a little better as the day warms up, but it's still there. Of course, it's at its noisiest early in the morning when I'm at my least jovial. I'll give the dealer, who has been very accommodating, another opportunity to take the dashboard apart. I don't enjoy owning the test model.
  • Ctsteve1953,

Well, I can understand your frustration then. Sounds like your dealer's service department has been trying, at least.

I have a 1995 Toyota pickup (previous generation) that I bought new. It came out of the NUMMI facility, and while it is no Lexus, it certainly has been very trouble-free (and creak-free). I have read a couple of posts here and there about the dash problems, and am interested since I hope to be replacing my pickup (and a 90' 4Runner) with either a Tacoma or Tundra in the coming year.

I live in Connecticut and I had guessed from your user name that you do too (?). If you have any opinions about your dealer or other dealers that you'd like to share, maybe you could send me an email off-line from this discussion.

Good luck in getting those problems resolved.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    >>Who in the world designed the interior of the 2001 Tacoma? The clock cannot be read by the driver unless the windshield wipers are on, and the ignition switch is placed so that anything hanging from the key (like the remote) bounces annoyingly against the hard plastic dashboard when driving over the smallest road bumps. My dashboard creaks and rattles like a vehicle with 100,000 miles of hard off-road driving.<<

Steve,

Despite the wide held belief about Toyota quality, I have to agree with you about the design and assembly quality of Toyota's interiors.

Out 1999 Avalon, while an otherwise excellent automobile, does suffer from a plethora of buzzes, creaks and rattles, much more than one would expect from the "quality" reputation of Toyota.

Yes, we have the same problem with the key chain rubbing against the instrument panel making noise. The moon roof has always made an annoying twanging sound over bumps, and there are various plastic snapping sounds that come from the dash. We now have something loose related to the right front wheel and the brakes make all sorts of pops, clicks, snaps, and bangs. And the headliner is loose and makes a creaking sound.

What is most annoying is the lack of illuminated controls on the instrument panel (mirror control, etc.) and the window/lock controls on the doors. I've been test driving at pick-ups lately and much to my surprise Dodge illuminates the power window and door lock controls. The only vehicle I have ever driven that has done so.

Toyota's execution of instrument panel ergonomics is not up to the design or quality of the rest of the car. And having been in other Toyota products, it apparent that buzz & rattle is behind the rest as well.

Our '92 Nissan Sentra at 96,000 miles is still almost 100% buzz & rattle free.

Dusty
  • Wheeldog,

My Tacoma is a 4WD XTra Cab SR5 model with the V6 auto combo. It has bucket seats and a console. If you are over 6 ft or over 200 lbs, you may want to take an extended test drive before you decide for sure if this is the truck for you. It is very maneuverable, which is important living here in southern CT where we don't have very wide parking spaces and our country roads are narrow and winding. This was my main reason for selecting a compact pickup.
    I did take the truck on a 500 mile trip (highway driving) one day this summer and got 22 mpg at 65-70 mph, so I was pleasantly surprised with that. The seats are no Barcaloungers, but I do wish that they had height adjustments- you sit too high in the cab in this truck if you're on the tall side.
    If the dealer can fix my creaking dash, I'll learn to live with the poor ergonomics. If they can't, it's going to be traded in. It's THAT bad!
  • Steve,

Thanks again for the information. I'm just under 6' and about 40 lbs shy of 200, so I'll have to see how the Toyota bucket seats fit me.

I know what you mean about the maneuverability factor - it holds true here in the Northern part of the state as well. The last thing I want to drive is a mush-mobile land yacht. I'm going to be sure and get in some quality test drives before I buy anything.

Rob
  • Odometer, clock should be visible in daylight. Clock placement is stupid; it's useless

More wishes--for DC
    Removable rear seats
    Factory installed sliding bed cover
    Better gas mileage (5 speed automatic?)
    Leather seat option
  • smgillessmgilles Posts: 252
    Fix for the dashboard rattle: It cost $3.00

Go to Menards and buy 1.25" window seal foam. They have it in gray and brown so it will match your interior. Just push it between the windshield and the front of the dash. The foam expands with the dash so it eliminates all of the squeaking. I had the same problem as you, then I added the foam and the problem is gone and headache free once again. It was definitely the biggest complaint I had of this truck. Otherwise I think it is GREAT. Hope this works for you. Just run the foam from the VIN to the other side of the dash.
  • leomortleomort Posts: 451
    how likely do think this is?
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    I guess we are driving in different sun conditions...I can see the dash perfectly, odometer and everything. The clock..yeah, I have to tilt my head to look at it.
    I'd like a sliding cover not only on DC, but on all Tacos. As for better gas milage.....I think it's getting pretty good milage. I drive an Xtracab, and get, depending upon the speed, 20mpg on highway (or 16, if I go 90), but I have a manual, although on freeway it doesnt matter.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    I had heard a rumor the DC was bringing a small 4cyl diesel over for the Dakota, Caravan, and possibly Neon/Stratus. Toyota isn't very good at creating a new market though so I doubt they'll risk it until they see how the others do. A compact truck diesel is unchartered waters here. If the DC diesel materializes and does well, I'll bet Toyota will have them here quickly. Of course, $1.00/gallon gasoline makes diesel hard to sell on fuel efficiency alone. You'd have to get better than 30mpg to break even just on fuel costs.
  • I just turned 900 miles in my 2002 DC, and I can't get used to the seats! Somebody needs to slap some sense into the person that made the decision to go with those particular seats in the trucks... hehehe
    And how about swapping positions between the clock and the passenger airbag switch?
    Roberto
  • I have a 2001 DC, the dash and the console around the gear selector has some creaks, Armor-All seems to help a little. To keep the remote from hitting the dash remove the chain and connect the remote to the key with a plastic zip tie. It looks funny but it works.
  • koko164koko164 Posts: 29
    I would like to see 4-wheel disc brakes. Chevy
    has them standard on their 1/2tons.
    I'm sure more will follow. Anyone heard of any
    plans for them on the Tacoma?
  • mralanmralan Posts: 174
    Will the reg cab be back in 2003, or will it be discontinued like Nissan did with their regular cab this year?
  • barbour1barbour1 Posts: 17
    I bought a 2wd xcab auto 4cyl.Have only 1230 miles on it but it sure seems slow to get up to speed.I probably should have gotten a 6cyl,I wonder if I can go 0 to 60 in under 25 seconds.I imagine it will acquire a bit more pep when I get more miles on it.My only real gripe is that the factory bed-liner is noisy,it flutters and flops going over bumps in the road and the wind noise around the rear corners of the cab seems excessive.
  • tgravo2tgravo2 Posts: 70
    Does anyone know if Toyota is changing the design of the Tacoma for 2003 or if they are coming out with a new engine. I heard something about a 3.7L, and a new body design. Maybe I'm wrong. Any info on this?
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    I believe it will be the 04 model for the makeover.
    Thanks for the info. I know you have an 01 TRD with the supercharger. I went ride to a local dealer a couple of days ago and looked at an 02 dark green TRD 4x4 with a 5 spd. It's exactly what I wanted, but then I find out they are gonna be redoing the Tacoma and 4runner, so I was going to wait till 03 to see them. If they come out in 04 though I may just buy one a little earlier. I would love to see a new V6 though, thats the main reason I want to wait.
  • 123321123321 Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if they will be coming out with a medium or dark blue for 03? I really hate what they are offering so far
    I don't believe they will come out with a blue, the body style will be the exact same for 03 I believe, maybe for 04 when the body style changes they will add more colors.
This discussion has been closed.