Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Audi A4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    That seems like a very reasonable deal to me, assuming the car is in pristine condition and with a good service history. I wonder why the previous owner decided to sell it?
  • I purchased my 1997 A4 in Feb of this year and love it. I have had no problems with it really except for the steering pump had to be replaced in March. I'm knocking on wood because I have recently noticed that when I start up my car in the morning and put it into reverse I get a large puff of smoke( obviously oil) out of the exhaust pipe. My dealership Valenti in Watertown CT told me not to worry about it. I recently spoke to Bennett Motor Werks in Litchfield CT and he told me what could be the problem and suggested that I ONLY use Synthetic 15W40 oil in the car and that would help with the smoke. He said that all that he had to do was see and smell the smoke and he would know what the problem was. MY suggestion....don't take your car to a dealership. They don't want to deal with you especially if you didn't by the car from them and your car is over 3yrs/50,000 miles.
  • parker19parker19 Posts: 59
    i really like the a-4 ... the dealer wanted sticker which at that point i left figuring there was no point in negotiating ... at this point what is a reasonable figure to get an 2-4 quattro with a sunroof for
  • jaydolljaydoll Posts: 120
    Hi,
    I was able to get dealers in my area to quote me $1000. over invoice on any in stock 2002 A4. Don't settle for the additude
  • greggsa4greggsa4 Posts: 24
    I HAD ALMOST THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS WITH MY 97 A4, INCLUDING A NEW TURBO. THE CAR ONLY HAD 38000 MILES AND WAS IN GREAT SHAPE. I AGREE WITH YOU IN REGARDS TO AUDI BEING A HORRIBLE PRODUCT. I SOLD MINE AND WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER AUDI AS LONG AS LIVE
    PREVIOUS POST WAS IN REFERENCE TO POST #23 ON THIS THREAD.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    Pertaining to greggsa4's comment about the horrible quality of Audi automobiles, I would affirm markcincinnati's comment about always having the Audi warranty in force.

These high-buck German cars w/turbo's and other high tech gadgets do and will break down. The warranty is an important issue for anyone to ponder before buying these types of cars.

Of course, I do not know the intimate details of greggsa4's Audi breakdown, but there is the issue of maintenance and how these cars are driven. I went new because I know the turbo models have the tendency to be driven harder than the average car, and the upkeep is more demanding... i.e.-low oil levels can be death to the turbo units!

I'm not saying by any means that greggsa4 beat the crap out of his Audi and never changed/checked the oil- I'm saying these vehicles are more complicated, are driven faster, and require more watchful maintenance than the average Honda or Toyota!

Greggsa4 had a terrible out-of-warranty experience with the Audi brand and I can't blame him for never coming back, probably for reasons beyond his control inherent in the brand!
    I BOUGHT THE A4 USED WITH 17000 MILES ON IT. I CHANGE THE OIL ON MY CARS EVERY 2-3000 MILES. I'M 36 YEARS OLD AND HAVE A 1 YEAR OLD. I BY NO MEANS DRIVE HARD OR FAST. MY FRIEND ADVISED ME TO LET THE CAR RUN FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS AFTER DRIVING TO ALLOW FRESH OIL INTO THE TURBO. I WAS VERY DILIGENT ABOUT THIS. IT DIDN'T WORK. AS STATED BEFORE I ALWAYS BOUGHT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY AND NEVER ONCE GOT MY MONEY OUT OF IT. I PICKED THE WRONG CAR NOT TO BUY A WARRANTY. I HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK THAN ME. I'LL STICK WITH TOYOTA.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    When you bought the car at 17,000 miles, did you inquire about the car's previous history and maintenance record? I wonder if it had been allowed to run real low on oil at some point, or if it had been routinely driven real hard before the oil had a chance to warm up. I agree with marleybarr about the dangers of buying used - especially turbo cars of any brand and expensive European models in particular - unless you can be absolutely certain of the car's history.

P.S. I follow the RX 300 thread here, and if you read back through the various posts, there are a lot of posts about that car's engine and its tendency to develop "sludge" which many owners are very unhappy about also.
    THE TURBO WAS NOT THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAD. NEW TIE RODS AT 37000 MILES $900. A NEW COMPUTER (AS PER AUDI) THAT COST $650 AT 37000 MILES. THE REAR PASSENGER SIDE DOOR RELEASE WOULD NOT OPEN FROM THE INSIDE. THE NUT THAT HOLDS THE WINDSHIELD WIPER IN PLACE BECAME LOOSE AND SCRATCHED THE WINDSHIELD SUPPORT AND SIDE VIEW MIRROR $400. NEW BRAKES AND ROTORS AT 32000 MILES N$600. NOT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING.
  • For what it's worth, Byers Imports in Columbus is doing a knock-down job of customer satisfaction. I've been shopping for an A4 for a couple months, and made one of my last stops at Byers. Within an hour, I had a trade-in offer that was $1.5k higher than the nearest competing dealer, and was offered a loaded 2002 3.0 Quattro at invoice. Within a week, I came to negotiate financing, and the deal was done. Easy, honest and friendly folks all around, and no typical salesmen scams, last-minute changes or pressure to buy extended warranties or other things.
    Ten miles from the dealer, I got my first speeding ticket in six years!
  • For what it's worth anyone considering purchasing an Audi from Bellavia Audi in West NY, New Jersey beware of the service department hassles. I have owned my car for almost 2 years, only some minor problems with squeaks and rattles. On 3 occasions I have brought the car in and asked for a loaner, on 3 occasions I was told that they had no loaners when I arrived after being told no problem on the phone. Part of the reason that I bought the audi was the 4 year warranty and what I thought would be easy drop off an pick up service. I don't know about other Audi dealers in NJ, but I will never be back to Bellavia again!
  • Just bought a new A4 1.8Q for 750 over invoice and 2.9% financing for 60 mo. in a no hassles, very pleasant buying experience from Lasher in Sacramento, CA. Though not the most aesthetically pleasing dealership, the salesman (Ralph J.) and manager (Patrick) were very sharp and forthright. I had my quote within five minutes after they knew I was serious without any need to haggle. Probably could have gotten to 500, but as markcincinatti emphasized, no need to beat up good dealer experiences, and I knew this was a good deal from shopping experience. There were no attempts at any hidden costs and and all details on the car were carefully described by Ralph. As he had almost the exact same car, his credibility was good, as was his insight about details and problems common to the model (radio dying on '02 models). The other local dealer (Niello) had all Audis on the lot marked up an additional $1900 so as they said, "we want to eat steak, not beanies and weenies." As you can imagine, this was all I needed to hear to walk away. By the way, I am in the health care profession, not affiliated with either of these dealers.
  • My wifes car is a 01 A4 1.8t Avant, the car was purchased over the phone from Audi of Charlottesville, VA. The saleperson there was very helpful but the financing manager almost blew the deal for us, he was very dishonest and tried to scrape more money out of us. I would not buy a vehilce from this dealership. The car has had NO mechanical problems to speak of. The quattro system has worked beautifully in the snow, cruisng right up the slick hills past other cars spinning all over the place without so much as slipping a tire. I have had the car serviced at Audi of Richmond, VA and Duncan Audi in Raonoke, VA. Both service visits were a pleasure, as a matter of fact Duncan is so nice they are almost annoying. Both are fine choices. I choose to purchase my car from the lowest bidder and did not have a good experience. Audi of Richmond was excellent when I was shopping but could not beat the price of the other.
  • pbvdqpbvdq Posts: 14
    Hi All.
    I've been reading the board to get an idea of how reliable (or not reliable) the A4 is. I'm looking into the A4 and a Nissan Maxima but I can't decide. One week I love the A4 and the next, I want the Maxima. I've been indecisive for about 6 months now (and still no new car). Also, what should I expect to pay for an '03 A4 (automatic)? I don't even want anything special in it (not even leather). And can anyone tell me what the track record for the A4 is on reliability? I drive 25 highway miles to work and the last thing I need is to be stranded. I apologize for my ignorance. I know the Maxima is reliable but I really like the idea of owning an Audi (and I hear it drives really great), but I don't want to end up regretting my decision. Thanks!
  • I am in the market for a used audi A4 which I am told is audi assured. I would like to know:
    1.)The cost to transfer the policy
    2.)what is covered during the 2yr/100,000 mile warranty. (i.e parts/labor, deductible)
    3.)Can any audi dealer service the car besides the dealer where car/warranty was purchased from. Thanx in advance.
    4.) Is a loner car covered in the warranty
    5.) I like to do my own oil changes, will performing scheduled manitenace nullify the warranty
    6.) What are the limits of the warranty in regards to recurring problem(s)

Also is there a fee to transfer the balance of the remaing factory warranty to the new owner. This is a 02 demo model. What should I be on the look out for??
  • Has anyone recently purchased a new/used audi with the 2.9% apr offered by audi. What are the requirements to getting the deal. Called several dealers with different requirements.
  • nerdnerd Posts: 203
    I suggest you check jdpower.com for initial quality reports on these cars. Their data is much more objective than the comments I see on chat rooms. Also, Edmunds' website has reports of their test drives and long-term tests; I consider these reports to be reliable also. As a final check, ask the dealer service manager what problems they see (if they say "none", beware) and see how many new cars are in the service department for more than an oil change.
  • awd2003awd2003 Posts: 33
    What kind of warranty is available for a 2000 A4 1.8T quattro 5spd. with 36000. It just came off factory coverage with a good inspection report.
  • dgreeneydgreeney Posts: 3
    My 96, which I purchased used at 36,000 three years ago, now has 105,000 miles on it. Local imported car repair shop says I need a new timimg belt plus a major tune up, cost around $1,300. Does this sound reasonable?
  • Yesterday, I bought an A4 1.8T quattro 6sp. from Metro in San Diego for $32,000 + TTL. It has everything on it except for the Cold Package and OnStar. The price I paid was almost $1,200 under MSRP.

The salesman and I went back in forth for about an hour. The last $175 dollars is what ate up most of the time. The salesman pointed to the scarcity of 6sp. quattros, and how Audi will be very slow to get any more in the supply pipeline for the next 4 months or so. Anyone else care to confirm/deny this?

We also kept talking about the tripling of the registration fees, which kicks in October 1st, and who would be more affected by it -- me, because I'd have to pay an extra 500 to 600 dollars, or him, because sales might take a nosedive after the tax hike. I made it clear I was willing to wait up to another year to see if the tax hike would be rolled back. They acquiesed.

I highly recommend Metro. The people there seem honest, and they don't do what Miramar does -- tack on an extra $2,400 to their similarly equipped quattro 6 sp. just because they can. Miramar likes to point out that it has free loaners for routine service visits (whereas the others only provide shuttles). But I do not see that to be worth the difference.
  • In the past, has anyone seen any good leasing plans on the A4?

Earlier in August and September, Audi was leasing their 2003 A4s for $289 and $299 in California in order to clear out their inventory for the 2004s. Now I truly love the A4 and have been looking to acquire one for quite some time now, however I'm very apprehensive about its reliability in the long term. I've heard so many stories and would simply like to lease it so that it's under warranty during my "ownership" period. But the current lease rate is $3000 down and $380 or so for an A4 quattro. Does it get better later on in the year? Thanks!
  • oh, and I meant that 2004 A4s were going for that $3000 down, $380/month lease price.
  • All of those leases you were talking about are BS, by manipulating your downpayment you can advertise it as 0 monthly payment, with 1800 down :)
     In that respect lease with 3000 down actually means that you prepay about 80 bucks from you monthly payment upfront, menaing that you real monthly payment is about 460, not too hot, but not bad either.
    What you have to realize that Audi lease is generally a good deal, and here is how to think about it:
    If you can get your Audi A4 price to somewhere 1300-1500 under MSRP, the rest is just simple math and pretty much non negotiable, they give 0.00175 money factor for 36month, or 0.00185 for 48 months, residual values are the highest between any cars (artificially at that- cause Audi doesnt sell to rental fleets) somewhere about 62-63% for 36 months, a little less for 48. So all in all you can get A4 quattro with options for no money down (other than fees - about 500 in acq. fee, plus tags) for about 430 for 48 months.
  • I meant $0 monthly payment with 18000$ down, sorry about that/
  • Well, let me give you a comparison. BMW is currently having 3000 down, 289 for a 3 series. 48 months as well, however this is for a 2003. now, has anyone ever seen audi's go for this lease price in the past? and i dont' mean for 2003s, but in general, does audi ever go this low in Feb, March, Dec, June, whenever? i know you fudge with the numbers and can manipulate per month fees, but i'm really looking to see if audi a4s can be matched to BMWs similar numbers besides end-of-year clearance times
  • I am looking for A4. Should I buy a 1.8T or 3.0? How much more problems with 1.8T and quatro?
    Also the dealer told me that I have to buy a quatro since the resale on regular is not good.
    I don't think I will need the quatro in Chicago area. With ABS & traction control I can handle it easy. I also think not to have too much on it to save money. That a good deal in Chicago area is? Any suggestions?
  • I am looking for A4. Should I buy a 1.8T or 3.0? How much more problems with 1.8T and quatro?
    Also the dealer told me that I have to buy a quatro since the resale on regular is not good.
    I don't think I will need the quatro in Chicago area. With ABS & traction control I can handle it easy. I also think not to have too much on it to save money. That a good deal in Chicago area is? Any suggestions?
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    In this case, I'd go with the dealer and recommend the Quattro. It's not very expensive, it will really make the car a lot better in Chicago winter driving (ABS and traction will only go so far), and in the US, most people who buy Audis want Quattro, so resale might be a problem if you flip in a few years. An Audi without Quattro is a little like a chicken salad sandwich without the chicken.

The 1.8T vs. 3.0 question is harder. If you're going manual tranny, you could do either, but the 1.8T is a very nice engine, a lot cheaper, and makes the car lighter and sportier. In an auto tranny, I'd tend to go with the 3.0 - there have been reports that the turbo and the automatic don't get along especially well.

- Mark
  • lipolipo Posts: 1
    Denim Blue pearl effect exterior/black interior; Sport Package, Premium Package. MSRP $32,110.

The car was a demo model with more than 7000 miles.

Purchased 12/2003 for $27,800 plus taxes and fees (grand total just under $30k) from Key Audi in Jacksonville, FL. The salesman, "G.O.", was professional and courteous and everything was handled quickly and deliberately with an attention to detail. Highly recommended.

I think mine was a good deal, considering the car was not exactly new but not used either. Even so, it was in immaculate condition.

Lipo