Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Hello everyone.
    I am not much of a car guy, so I wanted to solicit your knowledge/expertise on what seems to be a problem with my 03 A4 3.0's engine.
    Not soon after I purchased my used A4 about 7 months ago, I noticed that my RPM goes up and down sometimes with noticeable "revving" noise when I put in in park. It doesn't do it all the time though. But now, I am noticing a similar problem while I am driving. When I slow down for a red light, I see my rpm goes up a tick or two as soon as it reaches the 1(1000) mark and comes down again. And I feel a slight push forward(but not to the point where I'd hit a car in front of me that's 5 feet away). I also notice a louder noise with car's engine. As I said, I really don't know too much about cars, so I wanted to ask for your kind feedback on what might be causing this. Does ignition coil have anything to do with this? or the fuel pump? Reason why I am asking this is because of the recent recalls regarding these two parts on my particular model and year.
    I'd appreciate any feedbacks. Kindly.
  • can any please give me a procedure and specs on how to change the timing belt
    on a A4 Audi.'96.
  • I have a 2001 Audi A4 1.9 TDi (turbo diesel) Quattro wagon, which is almost perfect, except for an impossibly foggy, drippy, even iced windshield, that cannot be cleared.
    I've tried everything, AC on, high heat with full defrost fan, nothing works. (In fact the entire car is like a rainforest whenever the temp drops below +3 deg C, and is often worst around 0 deg C). Service has changed the filter, checked for leaves in the system, and other obvious fixes – and no fix. They're clueless, no ideas.
    I heard something about a broken (puctured) heater core, which would leak anti-freeze and blow a mist of it onto the windshield. But we have plenty of heat, no problem. Any ideas??? Please help, this is dangerous. Thx.
  • It could still be a very small leak in the heater core---barely a dampness would be enough to fog the windshield---however, you'd probably notice the coolant smell in the car at times (sweet smell).

Has anyone checked for a clogged line in your AC evaporator drain?
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    If there is no leak then perhaps your system is stuck on recycling of the air inside the cabin. Meaning that no fresh air is being introduced into the heating system. By any chance do you have your system set to recycle by accident? If not, perhaps that vent is stuck and no outside air is being allowed in to the cabin.

I know if you leave your HVAC setting on re-cycling condensation can build up.
  • That's a good point that rowland makes.

You wouldn't even need a real "leak" to cause condensation from a heater core---just a weeping or wetness would probably do it. Coolant loss could be minimal.

The evaporator drain is important, since moisture is gathered up by the AC system (which operates when you are on defrost). If this gathered moisture has nowhere to go, it just sits there in the drip tray like a little swamp or fishtank.

There could be new forms of life down there!! :P
  • That's a lot of info and photos and diagrams to post---you probably should have yourself a workshop manual or printable CD format for this work. This isn't something you want to have to do twice because of some missing info.

You may also need to rent or borrow a holding tool and a puller---special tools for this job.

Mechanic's time, with the right tools, is 4.0 hours.
  • Did you resolve this? I have the same problem, the gas tank stops filling when only half full. Check engine light on.

Audi dealer has replaced fuel canister, to no avail. Now says needs to replace fuel floations(?) for $600, and if that does not work the whole fuel tank. This is a 2005 , of course past warranty.
  • vwdawgvwdawg Posts: 162
    Hello all: 1997 A4, 2.8 Quattro, 100,000 miles. Engine started to miss, took car into shop for diagnosis. #6 plug misfire due to bad coil. Tech said cost would be about $700 for parts and labor, which of course, made me gag. Found part on out- of-state parts supplier's website for under $150, and I'll install it myself. I assume this is a simple "remove and replace" procedure, but does anyone have any specific cautions or critical knowledge that might not be included in my basic DIY manual? Thanks, vwdawg/audiphile1
  • No but one hopes this cheap coil is up to the job. Does it have a brand name or ??? Also was the bad coil actually identified by testing it hands-on, or are we just working off a trouble code description?

What I'm driving at is the "return policy". If you guess wrong, do you own the coil or what?
  • igiturigitur Posts: 1
    Putting a new timing belt on my Audi A4 with an ADP engine code.

How come the timing belt installation is slightly different on this model.

With it insisting that the line on the crankshaft pulley must be aligned with the dot on the intermediate shaft sprocket.

When the orginal came of the engine was running perfectly but the dot did not match.

On other engine codes it says not to worry as it only drives the oil pump.

Perlexed
    Hi Shiftright: Thanks for feedback....you raise some good points. I brought the car into my local repair shop. I think they were working from a diag code, but not sure what if anything else they did to verify. They were sure enough that they were ready to order the new coil, but I just can't handle $700 for the repair. I have ordered parts from this supplier before, and they seem to have a very good rep among other Audi owners, so I am comfortable with them. Their written return policy seems fair...I'll see what happens if I have to do that. Even considering this cheapie, the markup on these parts must be phenomenal. I'll let you know if anything goes wrong. Thanks! vwdawg/audiphile1
  • Parts prices at Audi dealers can be scary. Well good, if you know the reputation of your source.
    Hello Shiftright and others: '97 A4 2.8Q...started igntion coil replacement last night. Coil R&R is certainly straightforward, but the challenge is to determine where the two wiring leads end up. Both of them run from the coil downward, toward the rear of the engine, alongside the left cylinder bank. Visibility is limited, but I found that one lead ends up at a connector panel mounted on the left side of the firewall. The other lead makes a right turn around the backside of the engine block and seems to hook into some sort of plastic protective (heatshield?) tube. Can't see where it emerges, but I did note that there is an identically shaped and colored 3-prong plug which connects to an electronic part (transistor?) at the top, right side of the engine. Is this the proper connection point? Thanks! vwdawg/audiphile1
  • jebtdijebtdi Posts: 5
    Rowland, Mr Shiftright
    Thanks for the suggestions, will look into these and see (hopefully, through the fog) what happens.
  • I have 2008/2009 Audi A4 2.0 TDI. I haven't been driveing it for a few days, and now it's making this loud "peep" sound every 1 min.. It makes this sound even when Car is turned off, locked and parked in garague and also it makes this sound while engine is ON. Can't figure what is it...
  • My 4.5 year old 2.0/quattro, 62,000 miles, started having problems when filling the tank - would click off when not full. When I brought the car in to the dealer (after warranty expired) after "check engine" light came on I was told there were 2 things wrong - coolant system problem and evaporation system problem. The car had been in there a few weeks earlier for a regularly scheduled check and none of this was apparent then. After fixing the first to the tune of about $550, and the second for another $500, the gas problem was not fixed. Then they tried replacing the "floaters", $600. Still not working. Was told new fuel tank needed - for which Audi would absorb $1500 of the $3000 estimate. $3600 later, all seems fine. Anyone else with this model/age car have this problem? Seems to me this should not be happening on a car this young. I love the car but after this may not buy another. P.S. the 2010 loaner I had for 3 weeks during repairs was even better to drive.
  • mercopsmercops Posts: 34
    You may want to check out two prior threads related to problems when filling up your gas tank. Could be that your problem was related to gas pressure in the tank causing the nozzle to shut off prematurely. It appears that there is a spring acuated shut off in the filler neck that will cause this problem. Here are the items in the Message board:

Message #1707 Re: Gas tank problems [leejamesk] by jweaver1 Dec 30, 2007 (6:10 pm) I had a problem with my ex- 2003 A4-3.0 in that the gas pump would also shut off. I pulled the nozzle out and stuck a pencil into the filler tube, and could feel (and smell) the fuel vapors escaping from my fuel tank. After the pressure was relieved, I could continue to fill the tank. It finally happened when ...

Message #1685 Re: Gas tank problems [samaudi] by leejamesk Dec 19, 2007 (5:45 am) I had this similar problem and it is the little spring-flap inside the Audi fill-pipe that blocks the gas from going-in. You need to really push the gas filler deep into the pipe so as to ensure the ...

Also, don't place much faith in your dealership, especially when they want to "split" the difference in a repair especially when fuel vapor recovery (evaporation recovery) and emission related items may be covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty Law. You may want to check the Fed Website for more specific info as I believe it covers vehicles for 8 years/80,000 miles.
    Cheers,
    Mercops
  • there is a leak coming from something next to the front right tire, the fluid is dark brown, prob. oil, and is dripping onto the ground next to the tire. I do not remember running over anything, any ideas on what could be causing this?