Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jaseyjasey Posts: 1
    Hello,

My 1996 Audi A4 does not start up. The gauge lights turn on but it doesn't click or anything. The gas light stays on after attempting to start. It takes push starting this thing to get it going. When it has been started it stays on for a while at stop signs but every once in a while cutting off on it's own requiring a push start.

The gas was low but not low enough to not be able to start because of low fuel but I took it to the gas station anyway to put some in there. Now it's at a quarter tank. Left the engine going since I didn't have anyone to push start the thing. On the way back home it was fine. Until right infront of the neighbor's house it cut off by itself. It took maybe 4 minutes to get there. Was able to get it going again but this time it would not idle for longer than about 10 seconds. Do you have any ideal of what the problem is, how much it may cost, & whether or not me leaving the engine on during fueling caused the vehicle to no longer idle?
  • shaned7shaned7 Posts: 1
    I have an 1996 audi a4 quattro 2.8L. It takes me about 10 trys of starting the engine for it to finnaly start. It almost does everytime but it seems to be about 10 times before it actually does. After its started and running for about 5 minutes you can shut it off and easily restart it the first time when its warmed up. When im trying to start it and i give it gas it seems to bog out. Can someone please give me an idea of what this might be?
    Thanks!
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,693
    I'd guess a faulty fuel pressure regulator. Have the fuel pressure tested in the fuel rail when the engine is cold and has been sitting overnight (I guess a shop will have to do this unless you have the gauge and the T-fittings).

If the regulator is bad, the fuel pressure bleeds off overnight, requiring the fuel pump to re-pressurize the entire fuel system from the gas tank forward.
  • dawal1224dawal1224 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 A4 . after checking oil I added what may have been too much (not sure) and then drove a couple of miles before engine light began to blink and car began to run sluggishly especially in acceleration. Had someone check it out that believes that it is the catalytic converter. Could over fill of oil hurt CC? If so, is it, how important is it to get a CC from dealer or would it be ok to get the parts online and have someone install it. It seems that the quotes from the dealership are far more expensive then what Icould get a new CC online and have it installed. Advice please!
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,693
    Why aren't you sure how much oil you added?

To knock out a CC, you'd have to add a mighty good amount, to say nothing of dealing with huge clouds of smoke.

There's no reason why the CC cannot be decisively tested, without any guessing.
  • nwalkleynwalkley Posts: 9
    Today is the day I say goodby to my 2005 Audi A4 - which I do love to drive - but it has spent a total of 4 weeks in the shop in the last 5 months, so I have had it. Turning to BMW for the first time and hoping it will be a good and longer lasting experience.
  • barryendbarryend Posts: 121
    Wife has 2007 A4 3.2. I have 2009 A4 2.0 sports package. No trouble with either. Audi has improved quality and reliability surpassing BMW. Read blogs on audiworld or audizine.

B8 A4 is much roomier and better trunk than BMW 3 series. Better looking too in P+ level with LEDs IMHO.
  • patso21patso21 Posts: 1
    I have recently discovered a hollow knocking noise from the front right area of my 2004 A4 (non-Quattro). It seems to happen most under breaking and slightly during acceleration, any time there is a significant shifting of weight forward or back.

I dont think it's my shock as it doesnt do it over every bump. Im guessing it might be a CV boot issue or something. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks
    Pat
  • audiman5audiman5 Posts: 8
    Maybe caused by motor mounts.
  • olakolak Posts: 1
    Yes there is a place. It's called HB Motorwerks, and it's in Chesapeake. I've been there to fix my power window, do oil change, spark plugs. They specialize in Audi and VW.
    Their address:
    HB Motorwerks
    936 Professional Place
    Building A, Suite 3
    Chesapeake, VA 23320
    (757) 965-7146

Good luck!
  • hey im having the exact same issues i was wondering if u figured out the problem.
    And how much did u spend to get it fixed..
    josh.evans24@yahoo.com

i hope u can help me out
  • richb1richb1 Posts: 9
    2003 A4 with 90,000 miles. At random times, I get a short (about 1 second) squeal from my engine...always when I let up on the clutch and start on a slight incline in 1st gear. Usually happens in the first 10 minutes of first driving the car. It happens so infrequently that I had to actually tape the noise on a portable tape recorder to play it for my mechanic. He's clueless as to what it could be and wasn't able to hear it when he kept the car overnight. Recently had the timing belt replaced. Another mechanic suggested that it sounds like a worn bearing somewhere in the engine but difficult to know for sure since it happens so rarely. One mechanic suggested a throw out bearing in the clutch which was replaced at54,000 miles. Any help would be appreciated.
  • 99a4q99a4q Posts: 2
    First Post- Any help would be appreciated.

My A4 recently started acting up when pulling into traffic. At around 2K RPM's the car stutters and is sluggish, but once moving seems OK. To pull into traffic, I need to get RPM's much higher in order to ensure performance. Ironically at the same time the hesitation began occuring, the Air Conditioning would fade out when sitting in traffic and would only condition the air once moving. There is a slight "Catch" I can fill before the air begins to run cool. (not sure if there is a belt that operates the AC or not and unsure if the issues are related)

Thanks
    Tim
  • lp730lp730 Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2003 A4 Quattro 3 liter. I don't seem to get the mileage posted. I seem to get about 50-60 miles less in the city. I purchased the car from Dar Cars dealership about 1 month ago.
  • weeksyweeksy Posts: 1
    My car has started shuddering when it is changing gear, sometimes the engine management light flashes and sometimes it doesn't. The garage said it was the sensors and has changed them and nothing else has shown up on their computer. It has been in the garage twice now for this problem and I have just got it back again and is now doing the same thing. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    In order to properly diagnose that problem you need to pull the codes with a code reader. Without that information it's almost impossible to determine what the problem is. It could be any number of things from coil packs, spark plugs, MAF sensor or a number of other items causing the engine to mis-fire.
  • leonglleongl Posts: 2
    Hi, all

My 06 A4 2.0T starts to jerk/shudders when I change the gear. It feels like step on brake and the car was kicking back. The problem is most noticeable when moving from 4th gear to the 3rd gear and minor when moving from 4th to 5th, it can also be felt when move the gear from parking to reverse position even when the car is stopped.

I suspect it is a transmission problem, any comments or thoughts? (no warning light is on so far). How much does it cost to fix the problem? Also, my car is close to 54k miles, and I plan to take the car to Audi service center to do the maintenance, so will 54k maintenance solve the problem automatically?
  • roxproxp Posts: 4
    My 09 TT is now having transmission problems. The part is on backorder so it is like take ur car back, drive it (jerking when switching gears) make ur car payments, and we will call you when the part arrives from Germany. They did the same thing with my A4 was returned on the Lemon Law.
  • gpb59gpb59 Posts: 69
    Different shops are giving me different answers. One tells me you have to use Mobil 1,
    another says you don't need synthetic, one says you can use 5-30 or 5-40. What do most people use and if you use synthetic how long between changes? Also I live in Las vegas where it's pretty hot
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    You need an approved oil that has the proper VW 502 spec. Mobil 1 European Car Formula meets that spec and there's also a Castrol version that's generally available. They are both synthetic, and I would NOT use that person who told you that you do not need synthetic for any work. Obviously they are very ill informed on the needs of your Audi.