Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dxc001dxc001 Posts: 1
    I've got a 2002 audi a4 3.0 and for the past few weeks, no matter what the temperature setting is on its climate control system, its only blowing hot air.
    Someone told me it might be the pollen filter. If so, what does this filter do, is it needed, and how often and easy is it to replace? Also does anyone
    have any idea how much a filter would cost?
    Thanks
  • hanivwhanivw Posts: 1
    hello im having the same [problem like u , did u find what it is..............and can u tell me where is the headlight washer motor located at i have a 1997 audi a4 1.8 t thanks ahni let me know
  • sljslj Posts: 1
    The climate control fan speed in my new 2004 A4 Avant never goes below 4 bars. I had a 1999 A4 for 4 years before, and never had this problem. The air temperature is perfect... but when the air comes from the panel, it blows me away. Even when driving at night and the temperature is mild. I always have to manually lower the fan speed. Has anyone heard/experienced of this problem? Ii took it back to the dealer and they said there wasn't a problem. I disagree.
    Also, my engine runs rough and loud for the first 2-3 minutes every morning... dealer said there wasn't anything wrong,but again, I never had this issue with my other A4 (1.8T). Anyone experience this? Thanks!
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    Same thing here on mine and from what I have been told it is normal. I also find it running too high and somewhat noisy, however, it seems we have to live with it as it is part of the programming of the climate control system.

JR
  • 04eph04eph Posts: 2
    I've recently gone through Time Belt/Tensioner and Oil Pump problem with my A4 1.8T. I just wanted to recommend HBL in Tysons Corner (AUDI Dealership). They were so nice about everything (tried to cover as much as they can with the Audi warranty without me asking for it) and treat you like a human being. Thank you HBL Audi
  • al1d8gunal1d8gun Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 1997 A4 1.8 Turbo Quatro with about 72,250 original miles and has been a great car till the end of last summer. I had the car serviced at the end of August because when the car turned left or right, there would be a terrible squeaking noise coming from the front suspension area. The dealership replaced both right (passenger side) upper control arms. After that service, there were no problems till the end of October where the squeaking noise, when turning, reoccurred again, which progressively got worse. Again the car was service again at the dealership where the lower control arm was replaced along with the wishbone. Come January, the car was serviced again because a squeaking noise when turning. This time, the lower control arm and the wishbone on the driver side of the car was replaced. After that replacement, there hasn’t been problems till now, when each time I turn the steering wheel left of right when I drive, I can hear the squeaking noise again and it is progressively getting worse each time I drive the car. Also, when the car goes over some minor and major bumps, sometimes, you can hear the same squeaking noise as well. Has anyone experienced this problem before and can anyone please tell me what the solution to my problems without forking over several more thousands of dollars in repairs and parts. Thanks.
  • rambo5rambo5 Posts: 37
    I think that I was raped by my dealer in a repair of a lower control arm. Could someone with a Chilton Flat Rate Manual look up the labor for replacement of a lower control arm assembly in a 99 A4 2.8. Thanks.
  • lilyplilyp Posts: 1
    I'm actually new to this message post. If you haven't already bought the tires, I'd recommend P-Zeros or Pirellis (spelling?). I own a 02 A4 1.8T and I have only had Pirellis on my car, all season tires and they are AWESOME. I lived in New England for 3 years with those tires. P-Zeros are nice too but pricey. I've used www.tirerack.com to get my tires before. Most recently my dealership have been willing to negotiate the price of the tires to match what I've found on Tire Rack and included putting them on and balance for the life of my vehicle. Not too shabby. They're great in all sorts of weather. If you really want your car to be a ripper in the snow, I'd recommend getting Pirelli Winter Tires! Good Luck.
  • lviv35lviv35 Posts: 5
    I was changing a flat tire when jack bended and collapsed half way up ripping through door button molding. First, Audi said that I placed it in wrong place, but when I proved them wrong they said that I must put on handbrake before lifting the car and this is listed in "tips" section of manual. Jack has installation instructions on the side and there is no word about it. If it's that important how come it's not shown as the first step in the instructions?

Did anyone had problem with Audi jack.
  • davkingdavking Posts: 51
    I was taught to always set the handbrake when changing a tire. But what that may have to do with causing the jack to bend, if that's what you mean, escapes me. Do you mean, perhaps, that the jack leaned as the car moved to the front or rear because the brake wasn't set?
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Posts: 138
    I just came back from having my first 5,000 miles maintenance (oil change) on my 2005 A4 1.8 6M. When I leased the car on January of this year, it came with free maintenance schedule included. However, I am questioning why the service manager told me to come back at 15,000??? I am used to change the oil on my other car (1994 Toyota Celica) every 3,000 miles religiously; thus I don't quite understand if it is safe to skip 10,000 miles!. Then he asked me if the car was leased, which I said yes, then he told me that he recommended to change the oil (at my expense) when I reach 10,000. Do you guys have any thoughts on that??? Is this normal for Audi (it is my first Audi).

Lastly, what would be the best way to clean the interior of the car? I have black interior and for the leather I used a leather product, but for the other plastic surfaces I tried ArmorAll and it was a disaster. I have spots and streaks all over the dash and door panels. Although the manual said to clean it with a damp clean cloth, I am afraid that this method will not protect the interior from the UV rays. Any ideas??

Thanks

R
    I change oil and filter every 5000 miles on my 01.5 A4 1.8T because I do mostly short trip city driving. I have used synthetic oil since 10k miles. Now it is recommended.
    Me again. I mispoke. I change oil every 6 months or 5000 miles. Time has always been the controller.
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Posts: 138
    davking...do you take it to the dealer or to an outside mechanic. If you take it to the dealer, how much do they charge? I think I'll do the same and change it every 5,000 even if I have to pay out of my pocket. I don't feel confortable waiting another 10,000. That is just crazy.

Thanks

R
    rjorge -- always have taken it to the dealer. The last time it was 61.93, not including taxes.
    Labor -- $20.00, filter -- 8.99, washer -- 0.29, oil (Mobil 1, 6.5 qts) 32.65.
  • nvertnvert Posts: 1
    Aight so I just bought a 97 A4 yesterday, and today while I was driving all of a sudden the power went to [non-permissible content removed] and everytime i hit the gas i hear a winding/whistling noise. I left the car there over night and am planning on taking it to the audi dealership tommorow. Anybody have any idea what could be wrong?? I'm thinking maybe the turbo or the transmission?
  • I just purchased a brand new 2005 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T (B6 model) and am really satisfied with it's performance except for the fact that it makes a very faint whine or hum as it accelerates out of the lower gears at around the 2000 to 3500 RPM range. Also, the noise is not the typical sound of the turbo initiating, From a performance perspective, the car really moves. Absolutlely no detectable problems from a perfomance perspective. However, the faint noise made me take it to the dealership to see what the problem was. A quick description: the noise can only be made when the car is driven, not when up on the lift. Also, the noise is only heard after the engine is warm i.e., the car has been driven for over 30 to 45 minutes in city traffic. I took the car into the dealership where the lead technician heard the noise and acknowledged that, " this was not an ordinary noise of the engine". After a few days of investigating, the mechanics diagnosed the culprit to be the turbo booster valve and replaced it. However, the noise is still barely heard and not as often (they improved the situation, they just didn't fix it totally). The Audi technician has acknowledged the noise is still there and is "submitting the problem" to Audi tech support to see if there is an existing remedy to the situation. I am still quite happy with the car and want to get to a solution. Has anybody else heard similar noises with this model car?
  • kjana1kjana1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 A4, 2.8 -- which I loved for the first 3 years. For the past 1 1/2 years it has been making a groaning, creaking noise that seems to be coming from the steering column area. It isn't directly related to turning the steering wheel however -- it seems more related to movement. I've taken it into the dealer 6-7 times (all documented) and they've never been able to fix it. Last week while driving on a residential street (thankfully) the noise was back, got louder, then the wheels snapped and the car was undriveable. I was told that a bolt which holds the wheel 'arms' together (in the shape of an inverted "V") had broken off -- and that the grinding, groaning noise I had been hearing was something probably wearing on the bolt until it broke. They assured me that the problem was fixed, the noise gone, and everyone was happy. Ten minutes after leaving the dealer the noise was back!!! I want to give the dealer one more try -- but would like to tell them to look at some specific things. Has anyone out there had any kind of similar problem? Thank you!
  • Trying to blame the problems on me in regards to my Audi are ridicules. The only German cars that are worse are VWs (which are basically the same thing). The quality of Audi is crap. The cars are slow, heavy and unreliable. While they are gaining in popularity in Europe and the US they will eventually fall out of favor due people starting to find out they are cheap junk. Honda Civics are made better and more reliable. While I am not a huge fan of BMWs I never had the type of problems that Audis have. The car handles
    ok in the "twistys" but is too heavy and lacks power coming out of turns. When was the last time an A4 won a comparison in any car magazine? Audis suck.
  • jabozejaboze Posts: 1
    My wifes 99 Audi A4 audible alarm has just recently started going off a few times a night. It goes off at random intervals and the neighbors are pretty mad. I can't even just lock the door with the key because it automatically engages the alarm. I took it to the Audi and they said I need a new door locking mechanism and that will set me back $750. Being that there is no way i am paying that much for it does anyone know how to disable the audible alarm myself. Or has anyone ever heard of a problem like this. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    Check the owners manual and if the fuse is on it's own circuit your in luck, just remove it.

JR
    Has anyone else had a problem with dealer technicians putting in too much oil when they change oil? Time before last it happened and now it has happened again. This is not rocket science!
  • dchondadchonda Posts: 8
    My wife just purchased an A4 Avant and is having trouble with the radio controls. The mode button on the steering wheel does not seem to do anything. Can you switch between CD and Radio from the steering wheel?
  • nismo1nismo1 Posts: 5
    you should take it to a garage you trust or heard good things about and get them to do a diagnostic test on it, these tests that i now do myself helped me alot !
  • cmjcmj Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2000 A4 for 6 months. Took it to the dealer twice. Both times they claimed to have fixed it, but the light came back on within a couple of days. Took it to another mechanic who tried to fix it - same thing. Interestingly, when vehicle inspection time rolled around, the car didn't pass inspection because of emissions! This time the dealer found the problem, fixed it, charged me $250, and all is well. Unfortunately, the mileage was about 2000 miles past the emissions warranty limit (although not at the time the original problem occurred). Trying to convince Audi to compensate me for this expense, but no luck so far!
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    Had the same problem on my 2000 A6 2.7T at 60,000 miles.. Alarm was going off and the windows and door locks went on and off and up and down in an uncontrolled fashion. Dealer said the driver's door lock mechanism "fell apart" and needed replacing. Took 10 days for the repair, dealer had to order new door lock/key from Germany. Covered under extended service plan w/$100 deductible. $750 quote was close to my repair figure.The remote locks/unlocks okay now, however, this car uses 2 keys , if the remote ever goes dead. The first key manually unlocks the driver door, the second key works in the ignition, as before. The dealer was not going to change the ignition to match the door key, since the ignition was working okay. I keep the "second" key in the trunk, which on the Audi can be opened manually by the "first" key, if the remote happens not to work.Kind of bogus having 2 keys, one for the door and one for the ignition, but that is how it worked out. The Audi dealer claims you will have all kinds of problems trying to "disable" the alarm, it is an intregal part of the electronics on these cars. My experience the last 5 years would be NOT to own one of these cars w/o the extended service plan after the factory warranty runs out. This Audi has 75,000 miles currently, and when the plan expires at 100,000, I'll reup with another or sell the car , join the leasing crowd and ALWAYS have a vehicle under warranty. Virtually every repair issue that is brought to the dealer has escalated to near $1000 or more for out of warranty services.$100/hr. labor rates do not mean much, because most repairs are "menu priced" by the item, not actual time involved.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    To give you one more service example: The "airbag" light stays on with my A6 w/75,000 miles.. NOT covered with the extended service plan. The Audi dealer wants $450 for the replacement air bag module and 3 hours @$106.50/hr to install. $770.00 plus tax, shop supplies, environmental fees, etc.
  • dc catdc cat Posts: 2
    this car is awful.
  • Funny thing is, I've only ever owned Honda. This is a car that seems to be something that is referred to as a dependable car. Thing is, after 5 to 6 years, the front end assembly, engine lights and windows start to malfuntion. Just take care of your car..and don't buy someone else's problems.
  • a4_trinia4_trini Posts: 1
    I've got a late 2002 A4, the windows on the front passenger side will roll down and won't go back up. Second time i've had this problem. The first time the problem some how corrected it's self. Checked the fuses all is fine. The automatic window control on the remote key set doesn't work either.

Any suggestions on fixing this problem?