Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• seslsesl Posts: 1
    I had identical problem 6 months ago both brake light and accelerator pedal.
    Dealer corrected it after 2 visits. It never re-occurred
  • jknutsonjknutson Posts: 3
    Ok I have a 1998 A4 when I start the car it idles perfectly, however when I take off and come to a stop the idle starts to come down a little (like it should) and then jumps back up to like 2000 RPM it then bounces inbetween 2000 and like 2500 RPM while I am stopped. I then take off just fine. After about 3 minutes of driving it is fine when I come to a stop and idles perfectly. This only occurs after a cold start. Once the car is warmed up it does not happen. It is a manual and I recently changed the air filter to a K&N, not sure if that matters but I thought I would mention it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • mogila1mogila1 Posts: 1
    HI all. my car is making a whisling noise sounds like it has turbo when accelerating. At cruising speeds this noise is gone. It coming from the passenger front side somewhere from behind the wheel. Also this whistling noise could be sounding like the belt is rubbing on something. Can you please suggest what it could be. Car has 145000km on it and its tiptronic tranny. Could this sound be the T-belt?
    thanx alot for all your input.
  • I have a 2005 A4 1.8 Avant that I purchased in October 2004. I have put on about 5,000 miles, predominately highway driving. Recently, I noticed pulsing when braking. I brought the car in for the 5000 service and was told that the rotors (front and back) were rusted and warped. Audi asserts that it will not cover rust under the warranty. It seems to me that 5,000 miles and 9 months of use should not result in warped rotors. Hard to imagine that any car could be rendered effectively inoperable in the matter of months. Does anyone have experience with this problem and/or with getting Audi USA to honor the warranty?
  • I have a 2000 Audi A4, and I am on my third clutch. I made it over 60k miles on the first clutch, but only about 30k on the second one. Now my third clutch is showing signs of wear after only a few 1000 miles. Sometimes when I shift, there is a jerky feeling, which makes me wonder whether there is something about the transmission that is wearing out the clutch prematurely.

This is also not my first car with a manual transmission, but it is definitely the first one on which I had to replace the clutch this early and often.

This message probably doesn't help you find a solution, but at least you know there is someone else who is not completely satisfied with his Audi clutch.
  • fireflyfirefly Posts: 2
    Hi All

I have a 1997 A4 1.9TDi with 275,000 on th the clock.The car is going the best but there is a problem with acceleration. When there is any kind of loading on the engine ie going up hill on motor way or driving on wet roads the acceleration cuts out at 70mile/hour. (60miles in fourth gear) the throttle is still there and the rev counter still goes up but there is no power it feels like the turbo just cuts out.Once the power goes the only way to get it back is to switch the engine of and restart. Full power is restored then immediately. Like i say its seems to happen when the engine is under extra loads and only occurs in 4th and fifth gear . Does anyone know what is causing this?What can i do to rule out the electronic throttle as i have been told is a possible cause.?
  • audi_a4audi_a4 Posts: 1
    I have an Audi A4 convertible and I have bought Sat Nav, a TV Tuner and 6 disk DVD changer. I need help with connecting it all together.
    Does anyone know some in the UK that could help, or is there anyone on here in the UK local to me (I am down in Devon) that may be technically minded to assist me.

Thanks

Graham
  • drewarddreward Posts: 13
    When using the SD card I discovered that certain of my MP3 files would not play after some investigation I found that the file name length was the controlling factor and after shortening the names they showed up in the list. After referring to the manual I noticed that the file name length is limited to 64 characters I have not determined whether this includes the .mp3 or not. I have noticed several people noting that some files play and some don't perhaps they need to check the file name length. :lemon:
  • gunter1gunter1 Posts: 5
    Hi, have you found out what the problem was? Were you able to get it repaired?

I just bought a brand new 2006 A4 Avant Quattro and have been experiencing the same problems in just 2nd and now 3rd month of driving it. First time, when the mechanic at the Audi dealership denied reset 'something' after his comuter show that there was 'something' faulty in the transmission. They don't even give any straight answer and he basically denied experiencing the problem while test driving my car - quite interesting since I was able to point the noisy shifting everytime the car was slowing down or coming to a stop. Then, he simply said that indeed the shifting down was a bit hard. A bit! I would rather say it was harsh a big deal! A couple of weeks since that time, the problem is starting to reappear and is getting really bad.
    There are two people in the household who drive this car, but our driving habits are very similar, and there is no way this car will be driving by one person only.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem - because it appears that the mechanics at the dealership have no clue.
  • jboomjboom Posts: 5
    I have a 98 audi a4 2.8 quattro and im looking to put rims on it, the only thing im not sure is what size to get. I like 18's, can anyone help me out? has anyone had any problems with 18's, are 17's better? any feedback would be great, thanks.
  • gunter1gunter1 Posts: 5
    I got a brand new 2006 A4 Avant three months ago - truly a beautiful car and a piece of garbage at the same time.
    It broke down completely on the 2nd day - the dealership kept it the garage for a few day because they had no clue what went wrong - had to call their tech line - finally they recognized that the ignition coil needed to to be replaced.
    Fine, the car was repaired.
    4 days later, one of the key remotes stopped working on occasions - the dealership's only solution was to reset the electrical system.
    Couple of days after that, the same key stopped working completely - the dealership suggested that apparently two people were using both key remotes at the same time and were too close and the system locked itself - that's ridiculous, and "two people" were not using both key remotes at the same time. So, the dealership asked to bring the car again because maybe there needs to be a part replaced in the remote. Here goes my 3rd visit at the garage - just to find out that they don't have the part and have to get it from Germany, so I had to bring my car again when the part arrived. That was my 4th visit.
    Ok, the key remote was finally repaired.
    But, that's not everything. A couple of weeks after, I started to feel a very abrupt and harsh change of gears (automatic transmission) when slowing down or coming to a stop. At first it would happen once/twice a day, and within a week it started to happen with every slowing down and with every stop. It was so harsh that it was even felt in a passanger seat.
    Slowly I was running out of patience. It was time for yet another visit at the dealership.
    Meanwhile, when driving with the sunroof open, all of a sudden the sunroof started to close and stopped half way. This happened only once - the dealership didn't know what the problem was but they had a brilliant solution - as always - resetting the electrical system!
    Back to the transmission problem - on one hand the mechanic denied feeling/hearing any noise, but on the other he said that the shifting down was abit harsh plus his computer showed something faulty in the transmission. The solution? Of course, resetting the electrical system. Fine. It resolved the the problem for about 2 weeks. Now, I was into my 6th visit at the garage because the "harsh shifting" started to reappear. It started gently, so I was not able to guarantee that the problem will be duplicated when I take my car in. I told that to the mechanic, and he almost went out of control, yelling "What do you want me to do? How can I fix the problem if you don't show me what the problem is!". It was a bit offensive, but I am patient (perhpas too much). This time his computer did not show any problems, so I asked him to phone his tech line and find out if they heard about a smilar case and to find out how to fix it. He said he would do that and phoned me back - have not heard from him since.
    A couple of days after that visit, I was driving and had to come to a stop, and all of a sudden there was this big thump in the transmission. It happened once, twice and after the third time and simply turned back and headed for the dealership (coincidentally it was nearby). They were about to close for the day, all mechanics were gone, but luckily one of the customer service guys was able to go for a ride with me and experience the noise. It was not as harsh as a half an hour before but were were able to experience it twice during a short drive. So, now I will be bringing my car for service for the 8th time, and it has been only 3 months since I bought it.

Audi customer advocates and even customer reps from Germany, both of whom I contected don't give a damn about my problems. All I hear is "We are sorry" (pg. 1 of the customer service manual), "We are very, very sorry" (pg. 2 of the customer service manual), "We apologize for the inconvenience" (pg. 3 of the customer service manual). I'm sick of hearing the word "sorry"!

So, my recommendation for everyone out there would be: DO NOT BUY AUDI!
    It was my first and last Audi purchase and I have become a walking anti-Audi advertisment. Noone will hear anything positive from me about this brand ever!
  • hey whats going on. i have a 1996 a4 with 60k, and i absolutely love it. the problem is, probably about a year ago, the sunroof stopped working, well partially that is. It will still pop up, but when it goes to retract to open up the sunroof completely, it starts to go down, but will not retract. I think either something is stuck back by the motors, making so it cannot retract, or simply one of the sunroof engines went. I talked to my dealer about it, and they gave me an estimate of 600-800 dollars, totally absurd. Way too much to go out of my way to fix it. So the question is does anyone know how to take down the roof lining and get up into where the motors are? i know if i can get into there i could fix it, im just not sure about the whole roof lining and sunroof slider cover dismantlement. I dont want to ruin the liner, it is expensive to replace. Any help will be greatly greatly appreciated. thanks
  • Unless you have "special" Audi Kung Fu skills, you might be better to find an independent mechanic that specializes in Audis. With older German cars this is almost a necessity.

Best of luck,

Byron
  • It is perfectly ok to have your Audi's oil change done every 10K miles. After it hits 50K, you may want to switch to every 7K miles. With most new cars, you don't need to change the oil too frequently, but of course, the more often you do it, the better it is for the car, though more wasteful for the oil and your wallet. If you are still concerned, my dealer suggested Mobil 1 oil (synthetic oil). You'll have to pay for the difference (approx. $12), but your car will last longer.
  • I have an identical problem with my 1999 A4, so if you figure out how to fix it, please let us know. Thanks for the dealer price information too. Sunroofs are tricky....
  • ppugppug Posts: 9
    I had a 97 a4 and the timing belt broke. for those curious I did get the notice in the mail, sent in all my paperwork and got my $4700 check about 4 weeks later... I won't ever buy an audi again, but sure was happy with the class action lawyers
  • etxingetxing Posts: 4
    Please help. I have a 99' A4 (FWD). The turn signals were stuck off and on sometime they flash sometime not. I was manually clicking them for awhile and now that does not even work. All the bulbs are still good. I was told that the relay is bad, which is built into the Hazard relay. The flasher for the Hazard still works. I am thinking about changing the Hazard relay but having problem accessing the switch itself. Has anybody have any experience on replacing this Hazard relay switch? Any advice would be helpful. etxing
    auditech, can you tell me how to remove or have access to the hazard switch? etxing
    Mike, has anyone answer your question on how to access the hazard switch? If yes please foward it to me, I would appreciate it. etxing
    marleybarr, how did you get access to replacing the hazard switch? etxing
  • marv7marv7 Posts: 1
    We just read about the A4 class action lawsuit re: timing belts. Our timing belt just blew on our A4 1.8T with 88,000 miles. Do you know if we're eligible for help from Audi to fix it? I just read a Boston Globe article that mentioned Audi will cover all fixes in 97-99 Audis below 105,000 miles. Does that mean for people not included in that class action lawsuit? Any advice? Thanks!
  • This car sucks and I won't ever buy an Audi again. The car has around 85k miles on it and we just replaced the battery, a tire and motor mounts.

Now my wife was driving home and the key wouldn't come out of the iginition. Has anyone had this problem or know how to correct it?
  • I have a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro and I need a new clutch. The Santa Monica dealer quoted $2800, which seemed a little steep. Does andybody know if this is too high? I found some high performance clutches for about $500 online that are compatible with my car. I realize that labor will make it at least $1500, but that is still significantly less than $2800. Also, anybody know of a certified Audi Mechanic in LA area that could do this for less? Thanks for your advice.
  • 2002 A4 was brought into dealer with minor turn signal problem. Check engine light went on at dealer. Needed new turbocharger (on warranty, as it was replaced only last year). Dealer said residual oil would cause minor smoking for a while. Major smoking occurred. Oil being used up at a quart every two days. Oil apparently being shot somewhere and burning up. Dealer stumped so far. (Note: these Audis have a "sludge" problem that dealer says can be fixed by using only synthetic oil.) Anybody have any suggestions? Car has just over 60K miles. Unhappy driver needs comforting.
  • I am in the market for a 98-00 2.8 5speed. is there anything to look out for....problems ect. How are the cars generally? thanks Nate
  • Can anyone tell me how to reset the oil service light? I don't have a manual. I have a 99 A4 Quattro. Thanks for your help
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    Audi makes it almost impossible, the console had to be taken apart.
  • nachonacho Posts: 5
    You'll have to take it in to the dealership to have it reset.
  • Save your money, you don't have to take it to a dealer. This link will tell you how to reset it. I found it after I posted my last msg.
    http://www.autoshoppingcenter.com/servicelights/Audi.html
  • koskos Posts: 1
    Help-My 1999 A4T Quattro has in intermittent problem. It seems to run fine when I first start it up and go. But when I come to a stop, it runs rough and either tries to stall or does stall. If I manage to keep it running when it is acting up I pull into the intersection only for the car to chug chug back and forth and have no power. It usually eventually stalls. It restarts immediately. Sometimes it is fixed when I restart sometimes not. When i do get the car to move forward and I am going about 45 the car again chugs. It acts as though it cuts out for about 2 seconds and then goes again. Other times the car runs fine. Especially when I take it in for repair. I cannot seem to get it to reproduce the rough running and stalling. Today I slowed to take a corner and it stalled in the turn and I lost all power. I have had several things replaced but it seems to be a cat and mouse game of repair and I still have not found out what it is. I do not trust the car and need help fast. ?? Also during one of the repair visit my mechanic told me it needs a timing belt. Can anyone tell me if this is warranty since it has not broken as yet but he is saying it could at anytime, something about it being loose. I bought the car used recently and didn't know anything about the class action suit. Can anyone tell me where to get some info on that as well??