Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• gunter1gunter1 Posts: 5
    I just bought a brand new 2006 A4 Avant 2.0T quattro, and it died on me the 2nd morning of driving. The malfunction light started blinking, the car started chocking and I only had time to pull to a parking lot. Once I turned the engine off and was not able to start it anymore. Had to have the vehicle towed to the dealership and they still don't know what's wrong with it (this is the 2nd day they have it in service).

What would you do in a situation like that? Would you keep the car? Do I even have an option of returning it (I don't, according to the dealer)?

Have you heard of any problems with the new A4s? It was supposed to be such a great brand, but now the more I think about it it seems to me like a piece of expensive european junk.

Opinions, comments?
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    If the issue is electronic and the dealer is competent and finds it then I would not be too upset. Electronic parts that fail usually do so early in their life and you could have a bad ECU or something like that.

If the problem is mechanical and requires extensive tear-down to repair that would be a different matter, IMHO.

Good luck,

JR
  • 2ka4driver2ka4driver Posts: 2
    My wifes Audi A4 just started to go off many times a day. Just got a $175 ticket for noise violation here in the city. ouch. I tried to turn off the motion sensor on the driver side between the doors. Didn't work. Unhooked the battery and re-hooked. Nope! Turns out that the police broke into the car, opened the hood, took out the horn and left a note saying what they did. Now the car just blinks. So, I'm with you on not paying 750 bucks to replace a door and is that really the cause? Will let you know how this turns out. -2KA4Driver
  • decoannedecoanne Posts: 3
    Horrible!
    My (98 A4) alarm started going crazy last night. It went off 5 times between 10pm and 4am. I made sure the windows were closed, restarted the car, reset the interior motion sensors, etc. By 2am I decided not to even lock the car and hence, keep the alarm off. Guess what...3am and 3:30am the alarm was going off and the CAR WAS NOT EVEN LOCKED. I was ready to start pulling wires. After a nice drive around the block at 3:30 the alarm decided to take a rest. None of the local dealers within an hour of me can fit it in for service before Friday. I am definitely disconnecting the battery tonight. I need some sleep and my neighbors do too!
    I'd be very curious to hear if other Audi drivers have had similar problems, and what the diagnosis was... Thanks!
  • watziznehmwatziznehm Posts: 3
    rowlandj & hydrocarbon,

Thank you so much for your response! Your advise has been very very helpful. I've decided to take my car to an independent shop. I've also decided to give Hessen Auto a call.

Thank you again.
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    Good luck, please let us know how it all works out for you.

JR
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    Also for decoanne: Had the same problems you two are describing. The driver's door lock "fell apart" from the inside causing all the alarm,window, and flashing light problems. Repair took 10days, a new lock was ordered from Audi in Germany,reinstalled, (the door had to be taken apart) and this solved the problem. Had an extended service plan that covered the repair, minus a $100 deductible,otherwise the bill would have come to about $750.00
    Thanks for the update...
    I just read your original post and had to laugh...our dealer visits are ALWAYS $1000, minimum. It is a total joke for us now. We take it in for an oil change and it ends up being $1000, replace a light bulb = $1000. I probably just need to drive through the lot and my credit card would magically be charged $1000.
    Good luck to everyone with the alarm problem, a local dealer was able to fit me in today so I'll report back with the damage. Anyone want to guess what it might be???
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Posts: 220
    Gunter1,

I hope that you were speaking metaphorically about your A4Q being "towed." Quattro equipped cars must be flat-bedded or the Torsen center diff will be damaged. Since you did mention that it's an '06 I assume that you do not live in the States? Anyhow hope your car is back in action soon. My '02 Avant has been very well behaved.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    The funny thing is.... have NEVER used the key to manually unlock the door.ALWAYS used the remote. Audi refused to rekey the ignition, (since nothing was wrong with it), so there are now 2 keys to this car. One to unlock manually, one to start the vehicle. Shoudn't be an issue as long as the remote works okay.

Wouldn't drive one of these Audi cars(especially w/twin turbo) without some sort of extended service plan.Find a good independent mechanic that knows these cars and takes Visa, then call Western National @1.800.722.4758 to set up an extended plan.
  • I was putting the vent mounted boost gauge from apr and as I was splicing the wires from the vent light I grounded them out, causing the entire center console to quit working minus the radio. I think it might be a relay. But have no clue where or which one. I have a 99 audi a4 quattro. Does anyone have a clue where it is. or if it's the problem. :sick:
  • 2ka4driver2ka4driver Posts: 2
    The saga continues...We brought the (00 A4) to the dealership last week. They attached their computer and didn't get any strong failure reports. They recalibrated the car computer and tried again. This time they said they reduced the sensitivity of the alarm. The diagnostic charge was 65 bucks and we _told_ them to leave the horn disconnected after reading all of the input from here. Left the car on the street over the weekend only to find another $175 ticket for noise distrubance and a dead battery. Going back to the dealership after we go jump the car. Will keep you posted. PS same thing happened to us when the car was unlocked. The car locked the doors and alarm sounded, repeatedly.
  • mer71mer71 Posts: 4
    Hi- just have to say something here- I have had numerous and unbelievable problems with my '02 Audi A4. It is definitely a problem car as far as I'm concerned. I think most of the problems come with the CVT transmission. I'm getting rid of mine as soon as I possibly can, and will lose money in doing so, but I won't put my kids back in it ever again if I can help it. Pretty strong words, but folks need to know.l
    amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi- here's my story: my 02 A4 CVT has been in the shop many, many times, mostly for a wierd thing it would do on initial acceleration. Each time, I was basically patted on the head and told that I just wasn't accustomed to driving a CVT transmission. How long does it take to get used to, I'd like to know? Seems like 3 years ought to do it. Anyway, it does this jackrabbit hopping thing if I don't milk it into acceleration, very embarrassing. Well, now that the car is out of warranty, suddenly they discover (when I took it again YET AGAIN) that the transmission is in fact shot, to the tune of about 8 thousand dollars. They every so graciously offered to cover half (which indicates to me that they know that this is not a unique problem to just my car) or 75% if I will then trade in the car for another Audi. I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER AUDI EVER AGAIN IN MY LIFE!!!!!!. If your car is still under warranty, FORCE them to look inside their wonderful "SEALED" transmission and not just test drive it. If it isn't still under warranty, get rid of it NOW if you can!!!! Yes, I'm a little upset about this situation...
    wow, that is awful!
    I think I can look into my crystal ball and tell you what they are going to say: that they can't tell you what the problem is because the battery was dead and it erased any error reports. And it's $1000. :)
    I ended up taking it to my local dealer and told them I was going to leave it in their parking lot with *the battery disconnected* as to not disturb their neighbors if it started going crazy at night. They agreed that was good idea. Then they called me with the verdict: all error reports were cleared because *I* disconnected the battery. shame on me. They looked at it for a while longer, waiting for something to happen. Of course, the car was on it's best behavior and the alarm never acted up. I was charged $85 and they reduced the sensitivity on the alarm. So, I guess I can take back my theory about being charged $1000 by just driving through the parking lot...but maybe I should wait for my credit card statement.
    Luckily, the car has been fine since I got it back. Maybe it was exorcised while in the shop?? who knows, but if anything else happens I will keep you'all posted!! best of luck to you!! Thanks for keeping me sane through this madness
  • gundagirigundagiri Posts: 2
    I have 2002 A4 3.0 with a similar problem. I recently noticed that when I am on the Hwy and the car is going at over 40 mph and then I take the foot off the gas pedal, the rpm comes down to 800 and then shoots up to 1600 without me hitting the gas pedal. This creates a jerky motion. I took it to the dealer yesterday and he said that this is normal as the gear shifts down. I have not had this 'jerky motion' before in my other cars. Do you know why this would happen? Has anyone else had this same issue? Any help will be appreciated.
  • cicerocicero Posts: 51
    I have not looked at the warranty laws for years but it seems to me that since you repeatedly took your 4 into the shop for this issue and it is well documented that the warranty may be tolled on the transmission and that they have a legal obligation to repair the defect at no cost. Now, the warranty laws were very strong years ago and have been whittled away by Republicans who are buyer beware capitalists (preaching) but it may be something to check out. Contact your local attorney general's consumer affairs division and see whether they have information on the warranty laws. At the very least, Audi should cover more than 50%. I would be ashamed if I were that dealership as they failed to find or fix the problem during warranty, then they blamed the victim. Shameful.
  • hierrohierro Posts: 1
    I just got rid of my creaks (knockknock). They appeared after 60k miles, sounding like originating somewhere between cabin and motor. When the temperature went below 2-5 deg. celcius the sounds disappeared. Same happened when driving in wet conditions.The problem was actually both lower control arms on both sides. Especially the REAR ones: most of the creaking sound was coming from the bulky ball joint which were totally smashed on both sides. Also the ball joint in the middle of the lower front arm was pretty much gone. And there existed unacceptable tolerancies pretty much between all the connections. Audi quality, huh.So after 2 hours of work and $600 the car feels nice, without the creaks. Knockknock.Good luck with your problem!Audi A4 2.6 1996
  • chloeevechloeeve Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem with the 2004 A4.... It was making a loud noise and the front, rear, lights went out. The check engine and brake lights would mysteriously go on and off while driving. Brought it in for service and they replaced the fuel filter. P.S. six week later I'm in the middle of acceleratiing on a busy highway and the car just dies! Now they replaced the fuel filter saying that was causing the problem. I believe the loud noise that occurred earlier was an early indicator of the fuel pump. Unfortunately the service department is too concerned with getting you in and out the same day!

Anyone else have a similar problem