Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• marv7marv7 Posts: 1
    We just read about the A4 class action lawsuit re: timing belts. Our timing belt just blew on our A4 1.8T with 88,000 miles. Do you know if we're eligible for help from Audi to fix it? I just read a Boston Globe article that mentioned Audi will cover all fixes in 97-99 Audis below 105,000 miles. Does that mean for people not included in that class action lawsuit? Any advice? Thanks!
  • This car sucks and I won't ever buy an Audi again. The car has around 85k miles on it and we just replaced the battery, a tire and motor mounts.

Now my wife was driving home and the key wouldn't come out of the iginition. Has anyone had this problem or know how to correct it?
  • I have a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro and I need a new clutch. The Santa Monica dealer quoted $2800, which seemed a little steep. Does andybody know if this is too high? I found some high performance clutches for about $500 online that are compatible with my car. I realize that labor will make it at least $1500, but that is still significantly less than $2800. Also, anybody know of a certified Audi Mechanic in LA area that could do this for less? Thanks for your advice.
  • 2002 A4 was brought into dealer with minor turn signal problem. Check engine light went on at dealer. Needed new turbocharger (on warranty, as it was replaced only last year). Dealer said residual oil would cause minor smoking for a while. Major smoking occurred. Oil being used up at a quart every two days. Oil apparently being shot somewhere and burning up. Dealer stumped so far. (Note: these Audis have a "sludge" problem that dealer says can be fixed by using only synthetic oil.) Anybody have any suggestions? Car has just over 60K miles. Unhappy driver needs comforting.
  • I am in the market for a 98-00 2.8 5speed. is there anything to look out for....problems ect. How are the cars generally? thanks Nate
  • Can anyone tell me how to reset the oil service light? I don't have a manual. I have a 99 A4 Quattro. Thanks for your help
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    Audi makes it almost impossible, the console had to be taken apart.
  • nachonacho Posts: 5
    You'll have to take it in to the dealership to have it reset.
  • Save your money, you don't have to take it to a dealer. This link will tell you how to reset it. I found it after I posted my last msg.
    http://www.autoshoppingcenter.com/servicelights/Audi.html
  • koskos Posts: 1
    Help-My 1999 A4T Quattro has in intermittent problem. It seems to run fine when I first start it up and go. But when I come to a stop, it runs rough and either tries to stall or does stall. If I manage to keep it running when it is acting up I pull into the intersection only for the car to chug chug back and forth and have no power. It usually eventually stalls. It restarts immediately. Sometimes it is fixed when I restart sometimes not. When i do get the car to move forward and I am going about 45 the car again chugs. It acts as though it cuts out for about 2 seconds and then goes again. Other times the car runs fine. Especially when I take it in for repair. I cannot seem to get it to reproduce the rough running and stalling. Today I slowed to take a corner and it stalled in the turn and I lost all power. I have had several things replaced but it seems to be a cat and mouse game of repair and I still have not found out what it is. I do not trust the car and need help fast. ?? Also during one of the repair visit my mechanic told me it needs a timing belt. Can anyone tell me if this is warranty since it has not broken as yet but he is saying it could at anytime, something about it being loose. I bought the car used recently and didn't know anything about the class action suit. Can anyone tell me where to get some info on that as well??
  • Has anyone else found that when the outside temperature gets into the eighties or higher their car stalls all too often when slowing down for lights, a corner or whatever. It did cause a fright to begin with but I now expect it. The only cure I have found is to be very quick on the clutch. Any further advice would be well received - or is my car just unique?
  • jima4jima4 Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 A4 Cabriolet and have been having the same problem for over a year. Since both keys fail, the lastest suggestion from the factory is to replace the inductive coil. The car has been at the dealer over a week now while they try to locate the parts.
  • I've recently moved to the Chattanooga, TN area and I want to know if there is a good audi mechanic in the area, or if anyone knows how I can find one. I'm having problems with my steering, some clicking when i turn it right, I have also had the alignment done twice by the dealer and it is still off. thank you so much for anyone who knows of someone who can help me
  • drewarddreward Posts: 13
    If you have one of the newer Audis with the SD card based music system for playing MP3 files you may have noticed that some songs play and some don't. This is a result of some incompatabilites between standard MP3 file formats and the Audi. I have written a program which fixes the files so that they all play you can download the program from Audi file cleanup program enjoy!
  • rich21rich21 Posts: 1
    I want to check the battery water level and possibly replace the battery in my 2000, A4, 2.8Q. How do I move or remove the black plastic cowling covering the battery, that is preventing complete access to the battery?
  • I have a misfire problem on #2 cylinder I've switched coils, plugs, checked compression and there's power at #2 coil plug I cant afford to bring it to the dealer so any help would be appreciated. I think it might be the ECU ?
  • bdoonbdoon Posts: 4
    Fuel pump?
  • bdoonbdoon Posts: 4
    this happened to ours at 58k miles...$700...watch out for ignition coil failure.
  • civic4civic4 Posts: 33
    You can fall in love with the car and continue to pour money into these vehicles only to find that the repairs mount successively upon each other or you can realize that the choice to stay with an Audi beyond its statistical lifespan is not a wise one, better to buy a new one, (obviously an option for those who can really afford these cars), or realize this nameplate is just for those who can afford them. I made the mistake of falling in love with my Audi 90, A4 and A6 4.2, which was recently sold BEFORE the fateful 50K appeared on the odometer. I finally learned that no matter how nicely a car drives, and how attractive it may be, it is only as good as its reliability....and any decision to extend the lifespan of a vehicle that costs so much to repair and breaks again, shortly after that repair, cannot be a vehicle one should ever consider to put in their garage bay. Unless, you are a multi millionaire who can afford to turn your car in every 3 years for a new one. Good luck to all who decide to pour dollar after dollar into these very attractive and seductive cars, but remember, I warned you,....... I was you..............now, I own a civic.
  • bokshibokshi Posts: 1
    hi
    I think i have the same problem with my 1997 Audi a4 1.9 TDI some times the power it cuts in half it goes until 4000 rpm i think its a electrionical problem when i turn off the engine and start again it works just fine if you have the same problem and you solvet it please let me know.
    Ylli