Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• The Mobil 1 oil is one of the few that meets the Audi specifications. The exact information is in the owners manual, but these engines require a very specific type of oil and this is one of them.

Changing the oil this way gets 'most' of the oil out and about 1 quart is left if you have a 1.8T engine. The 6 takes more, that detail is also in the manual.

An early change should not be needed at all as the initial 5,000 should be fine.

JR
  • fourplay56,

Since you have a manual 05+, I'm pretty sure that you have the 2.0t engine. While I can't recall exactly what the manual said about oil capacity, I believe that it is around 4.5 quarts.

As JR mentioned above the 5 k interval should be fine. On my previous A4 my first change was at 5 k and the car never ever needed any oil between changes... this suggests that the engine had healthy piston rings. But a big part of that is driving smoothly, avoiding WOT, high rpms, varying rpms during that critical 1000 k break in period. I also gradually (and gently) let the rpms occasionally move further up the rpm band.

Byron
  • jenpjenp Posts: 1
    Ok, these posts about timing belts are truly scary. I have a 2001 A4 2.8 quattro w/ 97k miles. I was told, by both the audi dealer and a local mechanic that I trust, that the timing belt for an 01 2.8 quattro should be replaced at 105,000 miles. Has anyone with a 2.8 had a problem with a timing belt failing before 105k miles? All of the posts about failing belts involve 1.8 Ts. Needless to say, I intend to have my timing belt replaced as soon as I can (within the month) but wondered, if it fails before I can get it fixed and there is engine damage do I have any recourse considering I was advised that it should not be a problem until 105k miles?

Thanks,
    JenP
  • What's the ski sack on the 2005.5 Audi's that's included in the Cold Weather Pacakge? Is this something visible?
  • Have you had any news on this? I have a 2004 A4 3.0 that I recently bought and it has only 8000 miles and same problem as you and Audi refusing to honor the warranty. Today I sent a complain to Audi USA and am waiting for an answer, will also call later today.
    I think it is ridiculous that it has such a problem at this point.
  • I was about to buy a 2005 A4 convertible at a really good year end price, but after reading horror stories and talking to a few local Audi owners it seems to me that 1 in 10 Audis is a lemon. Any encouraging words to get me to join the Audi family? has quality improved in recent years?
  • Hi,
    everytime you stand in front of the question what to buy - a hard to find answer.

I consider the Audi A4 2T and Toyota Avalon Limited.
    Well, 2 excellent cars and manufactures. However best results you hear from consumers they have experience with one or even both cars.
    Any suggestions... any problems I should pay attention when purchasing one of these two cars? Tell me what it was like for you... Good experiences and bad..

From a dealership to the car itself....

Any comments appreatiated.
    I read so many reviews now, but still want to know more... the more the better and the better I can feel when I go for the deal.

Thanks.
  • Hi
    as a long term audi owner I never had this problem.
    could be there is something wrong with your AC. ( moisture getting into the system)I USE my AC to clear condensation and it works very well. AC dries the sir so it clears condenstaion at any temperature hot or cold.
    I have a 5 yr old Audi A4 with 2.4 V6, SE.
    good luck
  • if you buy an AUdi DONT buy the 2l Turbo.
    I have owned an A4- V6 2.4 L. for 3 years, and I check the forums regulary. I see a lot of reported problems re the 2 l turbo. I think its to do with the higer temperatures under the bonnet causes problems after a while.
    I find the Audi a very good car but it is not cheap to run- running costs and servicing is expensive, especially compared to my previous Toyota's. But I do prefer the Audi.
  • Hi, I've got an Audi A4 quattro, the front 2 windows do roll up and down 2-3 inches and i try to roll all the way up again and it would roll down 2-3 inches again and would do that for awhile. After this happens the automatic one-touch on the automatic window does not work so i have to hold the button down til either to close or open. In 2004, my driver side front window motor was making "cracking" and "grinding" sound as it did, the window seemed "possessed" and roll down all on own and i tried to close but wouldn't for awhile. i took the car in to a dealership and they replaced the motor but it still now and then rolls down a few inches when i try to close it. First i thought the hot weather may have expanded the weather strip so the window wouldn't close but it happened again when the weather wasn't hot!!! over the weekend, the front passenger side window made that cracking and grinding sound and went berserk so i am taking the car in for service, hopefully, knock on wood, that would help but the windows but might still roll up and down on it's own, i'm afraid.. I don't know about the 2 back windows since i hardly ever use those. I hope i don't have these problems when my 4 year warranty is over....

Please call the Audi Customer service at 1-800-822-2834 option 3 and let them know that you are also having this problem. i had called them last year and also today about this situation.
  • I also follow some Audi enthusiast forums and haven't seen any indication of excessive temps under the hood with the two liter turbo. Perhaps these are on the European forums (your use of "bonnet" suggests that you might be across the pond).

Just wondering...

Byron
  • This is a bag that is accessible from the middle rear seat arm rest. It rolls out so you can put your skis in from the boot, push it through an opening and the sack protects the interior of the car.
  • mkemke Posts: 3
    Anybody else had/heard about problems relating electrical problems due to water leaks near the A-pillar (driver side). Water leaks started about week ago and today morning windshield wipers stuck on all the time. Previous day I noticed erratic behavior on the light at the hazard light switch. Incredible a car of Audi's class can have a water leak inside...Dealer is more than willing again to repair the problem, but this is waste of my time. I love the car, but so far too many problems w only 55,000km driven (front break rotors and pads worn, worn wiper blades scratched the windshield). Maybe a BMW next time?? :lemon:
  • pej1pej1 Posts: 1
    Hi JenP

My 1999 A4...timing belt bust at 65,000 miles...still battling with Audi on the matter.

I was wondering if any other 2.8 owners with timing belt failures out there if so, whether there's anything happening from Audi to help them.

Graci

pej 1
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,419
    You might find this interesting but it looks like it doesn't apply to your engine exactly....still.....

http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2005/07/17/class_action_can_be_engine_of_cha- nge/

• I have a 2002 A4 and have had nothing but problems. It is at the dealer right now and was initially qouted $7.5 for the trasmission problem. Stay Away!
  • Sorry to hear about your tranny troubles. Which engine and transmission do you have? Isn't your car still under warranty? I recently traded my '02 1.8t with a manual. Had one bulb go and CEL but otherwise the car was perfect.

Byron
  • I cannot understand why Audi has not decided to use a timing chain instead of the belt in its engines. I too had a 1998 A4 and had the belt break and do extensive damage two times, you would think they would either use a better belt or even netter, turn to a timing chain which I understand may never need replacement.
  • I have exactly same problem on my Audi a4 1.8T 2000. Have you figured out what is wrong? I am taking main to deallership, noone else can figure out what problem is.

Alex
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,419
    Belts are quieter and simpler. You don't need a separate timing chain cover and lubrication system. Chains can get sloppy and cause poor running of the engine, too.