Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• davida2davida2 Posts: 16
    Ben,
    So my mechanic told me to replace all the spark plug wires and one of the injectors. Seems to me it should be either/or, but I will take the wires as a tune up.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

David
  • conallconall West TexasPosts: 91
    Sorry to hear that, vicam.
    Best wishes on getting your problem resoved. ;)

The timing sprocket tooth on my Audi broke at between 50 & 60k miles, very soon after I bought it used. My mechanic said that this was because the sprocket was probably not seated properly when the belt had been replaced. So this is another thing to try and watch for during your car repairs.
  • I have a 2003 Audi A4 Cab and the transmission died at 36k miles! I serviced it faithfully too! I didn't get the extended warranty b/c I thought I would be fine b/c I had low mileage and had no intention of driving that much. Well now I'm not driving at all!!! Good luck and get the extended warranty!!!
    So yesterday, my mechanic replaced only the spark plug wires and wa lah, it's fixed. He told me that the valve cover is leaking oil on one side onto one of the spark plug wires. The oil had damaged the wire causing resistance and therefore misfiring. So i'm having him replace both valve covers and hopefully this will be behind me.

Hope this helps everyone out there in the expensive AUDI land.

david
  • Hi:
    AS you may have gathered from the experience that we reported with our 2004 Audi A4 6-spd, our clutch failure occurred well within our standard warranty period, (25000 miles and less than 3 years), but Audi would not honor the warranty, so I suspect that purchasing the extended warranty would be money down the drain.
    Regards
    athornton
  • How can I get the information on the class action law suit? The same thing happened to my daughter who is leasing her car. She has been with out a car since May and her lease is up in Sept. They quoted her $8,000 for a new engine!
  • caps56caps56 Posts: 6
    Yes, we have. They FINALLY honored the warranty and admitted to the "sludge problem". It took five months. It takes standing up to them!!! Don't back down. Good luck
  • Does anyone used any good wax, spray, or any other kind of tool to keep their car clean and shiny!?
    BTW, how long does the car wax last?

It will be great to share your info with people
    Thank You
    :)
    Does anyone know anything about sealed transmission service? My 99 audi has 125k (I about it at about 100k).

all info is appreciated

D
  • colt2colt2 Posts: 1
    you can obtain a copy of the First Amended Complaint at http://www.chimicles.com/audi/
  • mauaudimauaudi Posts: 2
    what does it mean when the ABS and BRAKE light goes on? What do i need to do???
  • You need to rebuild the electronic part of the ABS system. YOu can remove it and send it out, or have the dealer do it and pay a fortune.
  • mauaudimauaudi Posts: 2
    Thanks. What caused it to happen? how much money is it to remove it and send it out myself? Its a 97 model. What is ABS?
  • Hi everyone. I have a 2004 A4 Cabriolet and the standard 4 yr 50,000 mile warranty is about to expire. Are the extended warranties worth it? They seem expensive - $3,000 to $4,000 but it also seems from reading this discussion, that Audis have lots of problems. Any suggestions/recommendations on whether the extended warranties are worthwhile? Thanks.
  • Hi:
    Please see my replies # 1572 and # 1587 which are germane to your question.
    Thanks
    Regards
    athornton
  • Do you know how to remove it? Thanks.
  • Definitely get the extended warrenty! Our 2003 A4 Quatro has had extensive and major problems after 50,000 miles, including a broken axle, engine replacement, and electrical problems that know no end. You should also get the AAA Preferred plan in preparation for multiple tow-ins!
  • I had mine rebuilt by a comany on ebay search for audi ABS and you should find several companies that do it. The company that did mine posted directions: http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=Bosch_5.3_ABS_Removal

It was actually pretty easy.
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    2004 A4 1.8, CVT, 41K. Car has been great so far.
    For the past few months we occasionally pretty rare) hear a medium pitched hum that seems to be coming from the back of the car. The sound does not change whether moving or still, at idle or acceleration & does seem to affect the performance of the car. If we turn the engine off & restart, it usually is not there.

I am thinking fuel pump, but all the posts I have read about fuel pump failures seem to imply that it just dies without warning. We have an appointment for the dealer, but the sound is so intermittant that I am concerned it would show up at the dealer.

Any ideas?
  • mddsmdds Posts: 2
    I don't have any faith in audi anymore. Have a 2006 1.8 A4 and the transmission is a nightmare for performance. In the shop 4 times in 8,000 miles and still can't be fix because it is "within Audi specs". We have had almost 4 wrecks in the car and caused a wreck by the poor performance in traffic. Audi could care less about the customer they have your money so go play somewhere else. I have a lawyer working on a possible lawsuit against Audi to get out of this death trap. I was once a fan and owned several Audis but never again.
  • I had the same problem and found out what it was the hard way! The bottom ball bearing joint that hold your rotor has leaked and so there is no lubricant to keep the metals from rubbing. Replacing it would have cost me $1300 but my mechanic had my warranty pay for it. If they would not have covered it my other option would have been to get another joint from a junk yard to keep the cost down. Change it soon because it will surprise you one day and fall to the concrete and could cause you to get into an accident.
  • I recently bought a used 2003 Audi a4 3.0 (my first one after selling my old Toyota). It still had a few months on the warranty so I figured I was safe. I bought it, took it to the dealership and asked them to run a full check. I honestly think they did nothing to tell you the truth. A few weeks after I did this the car started "bouncing" or "jerking" when I start the car and take it from Park to Reverse. I immediatly have to rip it back into park to get the "bouncing" of the engine to stop. I took it to the dealership and once again the computer diagnostic says nothing. Now I can be driving the car on the highway and the engine in Drive will just flip back and forth into Neutral and I can lose gas power. The light across the (P,D, N) strip on the dash will jump to all being red.

Now my car has been in over 3 times, has 40K, the warranty has run out, I've paid to run diagnostics, and still nothing is coming up. Someone please HELP! What can I do? They refuse to admit anything is wrong if the "computer diagnostic" has no errors.

Suggestions?
  • kcraigkcraig Posts: 1
    The problem is my back right hand window of my Audi A4 cabriolet (2003)has separated from the canvas top. Does anyone have the same problem?
  • Any suggestions on order companies for parts like car covers and window shades?
  • hello, I have a 2002 audi a4 1.8t cvt. The PRND display fails to show what gear its in after engine temperature is optimal. It will not show for about 15 to 20 minutes of driving and then it will blink(almost flicker) and then turn on and work showing what gear im in. When it does not display gear my shift tronic does not work. Reverse does not work. If i put the car in park it display P. but will not display any other gear if shifted. When this happens and the car is stoped i can put it in nuetrol for about 3 seconds and switch to drive or reverse and then the PRND starts to flash. When flashing reverse works and so does the shift tronic. After driving for about 15 minutes with the flashing I will stop the car and put it in park and the rpm jumps to about 1500 then down below 1000 then to about 1000rpm and the flashing stops and the car works. displays what gear, reverse works and so does the auto stick. Its so weird but it happens all the time and started originally around 50,000 miles. the car has about 52k now. I used the vag com system and got the following codes out *17090 – Transmission Range Sensor (F125): Implausible Signal*P0706 – 35-10 - - - Intermittent*18032 – MIL Request Signal Active (Check TCM for errors tool)*P1624 – 008 – Implausible Signal* I was told by mechanincs that it could be a broken TCM or multiswitch.(Dealer repairs only) Does anybody know about this problem. Please HELP!! The dealer wants $2200 for new tcm. I would hate to pay that. Thanks
  • You've probably found out what your problem was by now, but I had that same problem at about 45K miles and the service rep. asked me if I was using gas from places such as Costco, Arco, etc. I said, "Who, ME?" she said only use the "Top Tier gas," which is like Shell, Chevron, etc. I haven't had that problem again YET.
  • I also had my 99 Passat towed to the dealer. They replaced the Power stage unit and I was charged $680. I was told the Power Train warranty does not cover this...is this correct?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi - welcome to CarSpace! That person hasn't been around for several years so you might want to try asking in the Passat Maintenance and Repair discussion. Good luck - hope we can help.
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    We always use "top tier" gas. We usually run midgrade finding that the performance and gas mileage is just fine with gas that is 5% less expensive. We fill up with premium occasionally & do not detect a difference.

We took it to the dealer & they did not hear the noise, but ordered a fuel filter (at least in part based on the imput I receive from this forum) anyway. A week later, my wife heard the noise & took it in. They said sounds like fuel filter issue. Scheduled to be replaced under warranty this week. Will let everyone know after a month or two if the noise stops
  • Hello,

I have a 2002 A4 with just over 90,000 miles. I have had issues with my oil level. I have had it in several times and they never find a leak. Just took it in again and they did an oil consumption test on it and still couldn't find the problem. The tech at the dealer called Audi of America and they advised him that 1 - 1.5 quarts used in 1000 miles was acceptable. The tech disagreed. I called Audi of America and they told me the same thing, I am going to have to watch the oil level every 1000 miles and then add if necessary. Has anyone had this type of problem? Please help.