Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Luckyluke, I have exactly the same problem, no joke I can't believe I am reading this, can you email me erlalonde@hotmail.com if you have gotten the issue fixed the dealer is trying to tell me I need to replace the Transmission...
    Thanks
  • Hi,

I have the same problem, its a A4 2003 Cabriolet, I have extended warranty, but the dealer refuses to honor it. I will complain to Audi directly about this. This is definitely a craftsmanship defect. And you can't even repair it, becuase the glass uses a special glue/press machine. You need to replace the whole top.

Shoot me an email if you want to hook up: christianstaack@gmail.com
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's share experiences right here in the discussion rather than take the conversations to email. That way all can benefit and you have a better chance of getting feedback.

Thanks!
  • hI
    i JUST HUNG UP WITH MY AUDI DEALER IN THE CITY I LIVE IN. i AM ABOUT TO SREAM. LET ME GIVE YOU THE DETAILS.

MY CAR IS A A4 1.8 TURBO 1999 WITH 33,000 MILES. I BROUGHT THE CAR BRAND NEW 8 YEARS AGO, I DONT DRIVE THE CAR HARD. mY ENGINE IS CLEAN!! ON START UP I HAVE BEEN HAVING A BLUE SMOKE ISSUE, AFTER IT WARMS UP IT DISAPPEARS.I DO NOT HAVE ANY OIL LEAKS AT ALL, THE CAR IS VERY WELL MAINTAINED. I AM ABOUT TO CONTACT AUDI. THE DEALER JUST TOLD ME I HAVE TO REPLACE THE WHOLE TURBO!!!!! NOW IF THE CAR HAD 133,000 I WOULD UNDERSTAND, BUT AT 33000 MILES?????????????? IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE, BESIDES THE COST OF FIXING THIS IS TOTALLY SICKENING. IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO OR OPINIONS PLEASE!!! FEEL FREE TO RESPOND BEFORE I CALL MY AUDI DEALER BACK....
    TYS ALL
  • bkanbkan Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have the same problem with my 2003 A4 cabrio. I have extended warranty. But I haven't taken it to Audi yet. Now i'm wondering what they're going to say. I guess this is a common problem with convertibles. I really don't want to have the top changed.

have a great day
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,930
    Is this turbo very noisy? Usually for a turbo to suck oil, the bearings have to be bad in the turbo itself--so they'll scream before they smoke. But the symptoms you describe could very well be a bad turbo.

Also could be old or crack valve stem seals. I hope the dealer's diagnosis is accurate.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• no the turbo is not noisy, its not sucking oil, there is no oil in the engine. the car has never "screamed" What i think it is, even if the car only 33,000 miles for a 1999 the seals are cracked :( I did call the dealer where i got the car and spoke to the manger, so now i have to decided to fix it now or wait a little bit..i am just a little mad thats all..
    mel :mad:
  • I have a 98 Audi A4 1.8 and it has 100551 miles. My husband has pretty much replaced all major parts on it. I am having trouble with all the indicator lights remaining on..I can't find in my manual how to correct the problem. My most recent problem is the hot radiator light comes on sometimes but, the c/ guage shows it's not hot, I can only put water in the overflow,. I have no idea where to put coolant in the radiator.... :cry: my husband recently changed the thermostat so we know it's not that. Please help.
    Aha! If someone put in a new thermostat they might not have bled all the air from the cooling system.

• I'm in the market for a used car(2006/07 A4), and really like the Audi, but as I read more and more on the web about the cost to maintain the Audi, I'm starting to have second thoughts. I plan to keep the vehicle well past the 5/50,000 factory warranty. Are the repair cost really that expensive?? Any personal experiences would be helpful.
  • davida2davida2 Posts: 16
    skinsfan1,
    Just to give you an idea. I have a 99 A4 with ~130k miles on it. (I bought it with 100k miles). SO far I have changed the timing belt ~$800, Front shocks, bearings, lower arms-$1200, valve cover leak-$400, Need to service tranny-~$500. Hope this info helps you with your decision.

d
    Yeah they are expensive to repair. Parts are pricey.

• Hi
    You have probably read my comments on Audi (and by implication, VW).
    Audi has steadfastly refused to honor its warranty commitments on failures which should not have happened, given the age, mileage and top-notch treatment that we have given the car (2004 Audi A4, 25000 miles). Our repair costs have totaled about $2800 in this time.
    Our treatment at the hands of Audi has been so abysmal that we will NEVER buy another Audi (or VW). It is a matter of corporate policy on their part to blame the car owner for their problems of design and/or manufacturing.
    Our experience parallels that of many people who have submitted comments. All across the country, Audi service people are reading from the same (corporate) script.
    Regards
    A Thornton
  • Hello,
    Thank-you for your personal experience. I have since talked to a repair shop that works exclusively on BMW/Audi/VW. They advised "hell of a car to drive...tough on the wallet to own". I have moved on from the Audi, and now looking elsewhere. Thank-you for the swing vote!!
    My buddies own a very successful Porsche/Audi independent shop and they also love and respect Audis---but they also have their little jokes about the expense of keeping them up. And you know, when a Porsche mechanic talks about Audis being expensive to run, you have to at least listen to that.

it's really the parts prices. I mean, labor per hour is the same for a Porsche or an Audi, but some of the Audi prices for components are pretty hard to take.

I guess if you are just maintaining an Audi and not replacing parts, you're okay, but when it comes to buying major pieces, it seems like the bills add up quick.

• 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    I have a 2004 A4 w 42K miles. While trying to quickly adjust a mirror, my control popped thru the hole & into the armrest. When I took it in the service associate gal said, "I have seen lots of these, you will need a new switch." When I picked it up, the service manager said he did not think it would be covered under the warranty and that he had never seen this problem before.. HUMM - who is speaking the truth here???

Has anyone seen this problem? Seems to me that it should be covered under the warranty. Any suggestions?

Other than a recently replaced fuel filter that was causing a humming noise (under warranty no questions asked) our A4 has been pretty problem free --- so far.
  • conallconall West TexasPosts: 91
    Expensive to run, and they don't make parts for their classic Urquattro anymore. :mad:
    I sold mine because the car spent much more time in the shop waiting for parts than the time I spent having fun driving it.
  • I have 01 A4 at 93k miles. My mechanic told me that my turbo is in fact sucking oil and that's why I ma running out of oil after 2000 miles.

We decided to reset the check engine light and take it to the dealer for a trade in.

I WILL NEVER BUY AUDI AGAIN...
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    As a general statement, I'd say that the problem you're having was in fact self induced. Typically when a turbo fails, it is due to one or both of the following two different reasons:
    1) You didn't follow the VW/Audi oil specifications and/or the oil change schedule.
    2) You didn't allow the turbo to properly spin down before shutting down the engine following spirited driving.

Assuming one or both of the above is true, how is it Audi's fault?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jlkiljlkil Posts: 18
    I dropped my 02 jetta in today for an oil change, surprise they found a leaking CV boot, that they had replaced just over 14,000 miles ago, with 12,000 warranty. As they were changing my oil, I drove an '08 EOS and an '08 A4. The A4 was sweet, 2.0 turbo, performance; solid feel and tight. As my Jetta has cost me $2800 in repairs this year, I am looking to trade. After reading this, I think the A4 is out. Any idea on the new C class a friend traded his mercedes after 17 shop visits in less than 2 years? BTW, I don't have any complaints with the local VW dealer; vast inprovement over years of GM dealers.
    I suppose one could argue (if I may be devil's advocate for a minute) that there is a fine line between asking the consumer to follow instructions and burdening him with more tasks and details for maintenance that he could reasonably be expected to know.

Or to argue another way, what makes Audi turbos so sensitive to abuse whereas other cars don't seem to mind it?

Still I do question the diagnosis---once the turbo gets loose inside, it will suck oil, that is quite true, but this usually appears at start up, with high engine vacuum. In other words, if you have a "sucking" turbo, you'll look like a mosquito fogger every morning. Is this the case? Are you surrounding by blue smoke in the morning when you start 'er up?

I'd also check this engine for sludge.

Once the engine is warmed up, it's hard to believe a turbo could burn a quart of oil all by itself in 2000 miles. I'm wondering if a cylinder leakdown test is in order for this car as well.

• my engine was never burning oil, it is clean clean clean. The turbo seals where cracked and when they opened it up it was cracked inside. I have 34000 miles on a 99...the problem has been fixed ....2000.00 later :surprise: :P :(
  • one day, i tried to start my car, it tried to be started, but failed. I tried 3~4 times, and finally it started when i push the gas. Then, the EPC light was on, but next time, the EPC light was gone. This starter problem was happened sometimes but not always, and I knew if i push the gas it started. So i didn't go to fix my car.

But, now i have another problem. while I was driving, it just stopped on the road!
    the other lights are on, everything is fine, but car just stop. So i turned off my car, and then started again. It worked. It happened two times a day. And engine check light was on. But next time, that light was gone again. I can feel that my car was little trembling when i was driving, not stable. Can you help me?
    Is that a serious problem? Cause I know it's expensive to fix audi, and I want to know a little bit before going to audi repair shop. Thanks
  • If I were to buy another audi....id sell it before the warranty expires....had my 2003 a4 1.8t for 3 months....already have problems...havent spoken to one audi owner whos never had a problem or two with their audis....love the car..hate the maintenance....if ur practical, dont buy it...if u can afford repairs and overlook those costs..then go for it..good luck
  • amandamand Posts: 5
    Same problem with my 02 3.0 A4 Quattro. Brake light blinks three times and there are three beeps - only happens when I am turning direction - any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
  • I just replaced my timing belt. now the car will not start. How do you set the timing?
  • I lease a 2007 A4 2.0T Quattro with only 5,400 miles on it. As I write this I am waiting for the tow truck to tow me to the dealership. This will be the third time with the EPC problem. Last time they replaced the electrical harness (a $1300 part approx. and they had the car for 2 weeks so mega $$ for labor and rental car...but I'm covered under my warranty). This time I am suggesting they replace the computer. After that, I'm getting a lawyer and proceeding with a lemon law case. Yes, it is a serious problem. I never know when this problem will happen and fear I will be in some really crazy situation because of it...like when I got stuck on the side of the freeway recently! When the EPC light comes on I can still drive it but it only goes 25 mph...any higher and the engine revs and refuses to accelerate.
  • I have only 56k miles. I had a dash signal not knowing what it represented come over the dash. I checked everything including the oil. When I did it was almost out. This car has given me nothing but problems. I will not buy another sudi either or advice anyone else to do so. ;)
  • My car would not crank and had to get a jump. I determined that I may have been battery. I replaced it. Now my radio will not play and all it say on the screen is "SAFE". What does that mean and if anyone know what has happen. I do not have an hand book and do not seem to can get one to find out my problem alone. HELP!!!!! :cry:
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    If you stop by your nearest Audi dealer with your VIN number they can provide you with the code to re-activate the radio. This is an anti-theft feature and you will need to provide proof of ownership to receive the code.