Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    I would suggest changing the entire part. Most of these vehicles now are made in such a way that components come out relatively easily without major disassembly. I suggest you do a web search for a do-it-yourself on this particular repair as there are some good sites out there where folks share, often with pictures of the work and/or parts diagrams.
  • sandarsandar Posts: 1
    The windshield wipers on my 98 A4 had a sudden decriment in performance only in the intermittent and slow settings. They stutter and barely get across the windshield. They perform fine in the fast setting. Is this a computer chip problem or something wrong with the motors? Comments appreciated.
  • Hi;
    I have 2001 Audi A4 Quattro. I had this code P0403 Cylinder 4 misfire. I do not know what is the best way to fix this problem. If anyone had similar experience or know how to fix it, please advise.

Thanks;
    Mark
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,116
    Are you sure that's not 304?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I think you are right. It is P0304.
    Here's what one website says:

16688/P0304/000772 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
    Possible Causes

* Ignition system
    * Fuel injectors
    * Fuel pressure
    * Running out of fuel
    * EVAP canister purge valve
    * Evaporative emission system
    * Low compression
    * Base engine problems
    * Controle Module damaged

With an Audi, one would always suspect the coil pak.

• I have an A4 1.8 quattro, 2002 w/47,000 miles on it. At 21,000 (under warranty)I had an episode where I lost power steering for about 15 minutes and then it normalized. Same thing @ 31,000 (under warranty.) Both times the dealer checked and noted "no leak detected at this time.) Since then, I've had to stop by the dealer and have my power steering fluid topped up--at first once every 2 mos, then about 1/month and lately about every 3 weeks. I had it in last week and was told the power steering rack is failing ($1600+tax). The car only has <48K and my thought is this has been failing for some time. Is this unusual, and do I have a "lemon" stance on this since I noted it twice while still under warranty? Same car has had numerous other failures including fuel pump, muffler, brakes, and multiple little electrical bugs.
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    If they don't take care of that under the warranty umbrella I would take it up with Audi of America directly. It should be obvious to anyone that this condition existed for a long time and you did bring it to their attention during the warranty period. It is basic incompetence on the part of the dealer.

As long as you have all the records you should be able to prove your case. You may also want to consider bringing it to another dealer to see what may happen as the one your dealing with seems pretty useless.

Good luck.
  • Thank you, Rowlandj. I think it's obvious that the rack was probably not good to begin with but I didn't know if my first two episodes supported that or not. And at the time it happened I didn't know enough to question it--I had no idea what a rack was or that what I was seeing could indicate such a serious problem. Everytime something goes wrong on this car, I ask the dealer, "is it normal for this to need repair this soon??" and would just get "it happens." as an answer. Not very reassuring. So I guess I need to take it up with the service manager. I've started looking for a new (not Audi) car, and this is definitely hampering my bargaining power ( :lemon: !). Oh, and yesterday the Malfunction Indicator Light came on...what next??? :mad:
  • I recently had my Audi A4 1.8T engine rebuilt on Audi (total engine loss due to the oil sludge problem). 3 days after it was rebuilt, coolant warning light would come on at start-up, then go off. Took it in, they said they topped off coolant and tightened clamps. 1 week later, while driving 60mph on a bridge, the coolant hose burst, the engine overheated as a result (I couldn't stop in time - no shoulder) and now I'm told I need a new cylinder head. The dealership says there was no way they could have detected a defective hose when they checked the coolant system, so they aren't responsible. Is this true? Isn't it possible to visually (or physically, by squeezing) check the hoses to see if they're ok? I'm told it's very unusual for a hose to burst, that it could have been due to cyliner head leak. I'm also wondering if they didn't properly tighten the clamps. In any case, it seems like too much of a coincidence that this hose just happened to burst ..
  • Hi Guys,

I am a troubled owner of a 2001 A4 AUDI 1.8T QUATTRO. I had my car worked on almost 4-5 times over the past two years on the "CHECK ENGINE" light issue. They first replaced like 100 parts in the engine. On my second visit, they found a problem with the Knocing Sensor and had it replaced. But still did not work. The third time they thought it was the ECU, had it replaced. Did'nt work. Finally, they replced the whole engine and installed a re-manufactured one. This was MARCH-APRIL last year. Things were fine until yesterday. The check engine light is back again. It was really cold the last couple of days and I can sense the Engine is idling very heavily at the start. The check light flashes till the idling is normal and stays put while driving. I have had enough of this. Any suggestions? I mean they worked for 2 yrs, replaced my engine and still this haunts me. I will be very pleased if I can hear any favourable remarks. Thanks guys.
  • conallconall West TexasPosts: 91
    I had a hose burst under warranty on my GTI when it was new, but luckily there was no head damage.
    In your case, the head damage may have been due to a defective part.
    Was that part under warranty or was it just old?
    If it was under warranty, I'd get a lawyer or at least threaten legal action.
  • Hi,
    I've noticed when travelling at high speed, I've noticed when turning the wheel to the right, a low pitch humming sound (fairly loud). I'mm thinking maybe a bearing has gone bad. I think it may be coming from the back, but it's hard to tell. Either way, does anyone have an estimate of what this repair should cost? It's a 2000 A4, 1.8 Liter.
    Thanks
    Chris
  • any1 know how to set the timing chain on the camshafts in a 2003 a4 fsi??

engine code:AWA

theres no setting mark on one of the cams
  • My wife has a new Audi with 3,000 miles. It has used oil from the get go at a quart every 2,000 miles. We had it in to the Audi dealer and the report I received was "the car is operating to manuf. specs. It is normal for 1 quart per 1,000 miles and this only went through 1.5 quart per 2,700 miles. This is normal for new engine break in. The car will go through some oil but will get better with time as parts start sealing."
    I have owned a lot of cars but never have they used oil. Has anyone had this issue or have thoughts on the situation?
  • I have a 2006 A4 Avant with sport package and 3.2L engine. Recently my check engine light came on then shortly after the Traction light came on for no reason. The engine is powering down and does not allow the car to acceterate. Car has been at the dealership for 2 weeks now and they can't seem to find the issue. Light comes on at complete stop and will not let the engine work as it should. They replaced the high pressure fuel compressor and some connectors but the issue still persists. Please any ideas? :sick: I want my car back
  • jksejkse Posts: 1
    I just started hearing exactly what you've expained. If I start the car in Neutral I don't hear it. But once I engage the trany it starts to hum. Reverse, forward, idle - humming. Did you figure this out?
  • I purchased my 2007 A4 3.2 in Dec 2006. I had 21,000 problem free miles until Dec 13, 2007. The engine light came on. Dealer said it was random misfire codes and they rebooted software. Dec 26 engine light came on. There was an internal short in coil 2 and 3 cylinders and ignition coil replaced. Dec 27, car died and Roadside Assistance thought it was acceptable to leave me stranded for 2 hours in a dangerous location. Diagnosed with internal short in low fuel pressure sender and that was replaced. Jan 2 engine light came on. Car was at the dealer for 12 days. Per a recall notice from Audi, exhaust valves replaced. Jan 24 engine light came on. Car has been at the dealer since then. Now oil, which was replaced, clogging fuel injectors which have been replaced. I was told by "expert" Audi tech brought in to diagnose car that only 1 other A4 in the country identified with same problems. No guarantee that problem is fixed. Next step is to replace the heads if check engine light comes on again. Dealer has been excellent! Best dealer I have ever dealt with on a car purchase or car problem. I believe, however, Audi corporation has sold me a lemon in this car. Anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • See my problem in message #1727. Need suggestions.
    This situation doesn't look great. Hope they can sort the car out, but if I were you, I'd start gathering up all the lemon law information relevant to your state. Your list of failures borders on the dismal. This is not acceptable for a new car.

Visiting Host

• Thanks. My state's lemon law is one of the worst in the nation. It only covers problems up to 12,000 miles or 1 year.
  • Your dealership is not great. They are lying to you. Audi has had a problem with oil sludge in their engines and they supposedly fixed the problem. If you go online you will find over 1,000 people who are either suing Audi or fighting with them to get their vehicles fixed. My car is older than yours, but I have the 2002 A4 and Audi had to replace my engine because of the oil sludge. They knew that there was a problem, but tried to make me feel that I had done something wrong until I found the information for myself online. I absolutely love my car, however Audi does not stand behind their product and like other car makers they will say what they need to say to you to get past the recall time so that you as the consumer bear the cost of the repairs. I can honestly say that I don't know specifics regarding the 2007, but I will also say that I doubt your dealership is that wonderful. Do some research on your own about your specific make and model.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    chelle4, while it is unfortunate that you suffered from the oil sludging issue with your 2002 A4 (I'm betting with the 1.8T engine), your comments have no bearing on the issues that utahjake is dealing with. The car in question has a 3.2 liter V6, an engine that is not known for sludging what-so-ever (unless the owner drives a HUGE number of miles without an oil change).

utahjake, contrary to what chelle4 is telling you, it sounds like your dealer is doing what they can to make you whole. Given the recent history of your car's troubles, it sounds like you're probably a candidate for a Lemon Law action (depending upon the rules in your state), however, if your dealer is still working in good faith to solve the issue, and has escalated it up to Audi corporate, I might be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt and let them follow whatever next steps they have identified. You might also use your current troubles as a lever to get them to grant you an extended warranty (something that isn't at all unheard of in these instances).

Keep us posted on how you make out. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Thanks for the info. My lemon law is the worst in the nation - covers up to 12,000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first. My research did show that the oil sludge problem is with the turbo engine. I'm still willing to work with the dealer. I have also contacted corporate. :(
    Well give it a bit more time but if this onslaught of problems continues, get yourself an attorney and start "communicating" with Audi.

• amandamand Posts: 5
    I have a 02 Audi A4 3.0 quattro - sports suspension 120k miles in Sacto. Took it to Tahoe over New Years weekend and soon after it developed a vibration. Vibration is strongest at 40 - 60 mph when accelerating and when climbing hills. Vibration is not on the steering wheel. At first it felt like it was coming from the left side but it may be from the right. Feels like a off balance tire but is not - checked it twice now. When yanking the wheel shaft the right side makes a sound (knocking like the shaft is loose). Lifted each side and ran the wheels.. when the right side is up and wheels are running a strong vibration comes from the wheels - does not happen on the left side. Boot seems to be fine. Almost certainly points to the wheel shaft - anyone had this problem before? My mechanic thinks this can be serviced? anyone has any luck with this? cant find the replacement part anywhere but the dealer $250. Help :sick:
    Service an axle you mean? Well by the time you busted it apart and checked it out you might as well just replace it for all that labor.

• See my post at #1727 for the full story - briefly, within approximately 6 weeks, I've had 5 repairs to my engine, with 21,000 miles on it, from replacing exhaust valves to fuel injectors, spark plugs etc. I am told that the next repair when the check engine light comes on will be the heads. I contacted Audi customer service. They have offered me one car payment for my inconvenience. They have refused an extended warranty for the engine. When I told the rep that one car payment did not equal the seriousness of this problem and to explain why I should remain an Audi customer, she said if I was going to change brands, then the offer of one car payment was off the table. Unbelievable. My state lemon law does not cover this situation since it is only applicable for up to 1 year or 12,000 miles. I am afraid to drive this car. My jobs takes me many places. Roadside Assistance already left me for 2 hours in a dangerous neighborhood. Suggestions?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I'm thinking that it's time to talk to a lawyer.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Guys,

Last nite, I didn't pull my car far enough into the garage and the closing door hinge caught a small portion of my rear bumper, making a slight scratch (no paint loss) and an area about the size of a dime paint completely scratched off.

My car color is white and the paint-less area is now black.

Question is I know it'll probably cost 500 bucks to repaint the bumper because either they'll paint it or they'll have problems matching the color which means a new bumper.

Is it perfectly acceptable - visually - to purchase a paint pen over the net and touch-it-up in that manner???

It doesn't need to look perfect, unless making it anything other than perfect will make it look worse than it does now.