Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Couple things:

Turns out it wasn't the ingnition coils, or a lubricant problem with my A4, it was one of the vacuum lines. Apparently, I had a valve that was malfunctioning, allowing air to flow the wrong way through the turbo. Anyway, I am THRILLED to report that the repair was made under warranty, and that my car was returned to me early this afternoon. In total, my car was only at the dealer for 2 and a half days... and presumably would have been ready sooner, had the problem not occured on a Saturday. And I had a loaner the whoe time, which was very nice. My car was returned to me washed, waxed, detailed inside and with another 1/4 tank of gas in it, to boot. So... I'm *completely* happy with the dealership and very excited to have my new car back out on the road, where it belongs! Yay! Life is a gravy train with little biscuit wheels. I'm a happy camper right now!

Based on my sales experience, and my first trip for service, I would *DEFINITELY* recommend Prestige Imports in Denver, Colorado for anyone in the region looking to buy an Audi or Porsche. They rocked muchly. =)

As for the sister... she is single, sort of. She's 29 and just moved back to Colorado from NYC, where she left behind a very nice, very handsome, and very large Columbian boyfriend. =)
    He's a big ol' sap though... so who knows; you might be able to take him, Bodble. I bet he's got a glass jaw, being a pretty boy and all. =) Even though he's big, and hails from a country that made the "Columbian Necktie" famous, I'd say he's harmless as a kitten. The man cries during commercials for long-distance telephone service.
    The big Nancy. Don't tell 'em I said that though--he might know somebody in a Cartel. =)

My sister is the greatest.... but to be fair, I should warn ya that she's a HANDFUL. That's one surly broad, my sibling. I love to her to death, but honestly-- I weep for the poor, hapless chump who ends up marrying her, because she will positively OWN that sad, misguided little man. She'll have that sucker wrapped around her finger faster than Oprah can put away a glazed ham. I've seen her reduce many a suitor into a servile, gelatinous, boot-licking toady. She's not mean or anything, but it is a rare occasion indeed when she doesn't get her way. So you can take a crack at her, if ya want, Bodble2, but don't say I didn't warn ya'. =)

God Speed, brave soldier. =)
    I'll drive you to the asylum in my Audi after she's broken you down and made you a crazy person.

Hee hee...

I can't believe I'm discussing this on a CAR board. Ugh....

She'd KILL me if she knew... =)
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    With your description of your sister, I think only a Navy SEAL commando should consider going out with your sister!

The large Columbian was probably a hitman for the Cartel until your sister reduced him to size!

No wonder your sister is 29 and still single! :)

(Don't take me seriously. I'm sure your sister is a babe)
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    Hey your post about your sister made my day - thanks.

Glad to hear your Audi is running like new. Our local dealer here is fantastic too.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    Since this is a public board, there is a chance that just might happen. ;-)

Please focus on the discussion topic.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    I just brought my A6 over to Carousel Audi in Minneapolis for service.

They completed all the repairs the same day to my satisfaction. The car was washed and ready to be picked up on time.

A loaner was provided with no-hassle and all of my service related questions were promptly answered.

I would be happy to do business with Carousel Audi again!
    I agree their service is first-rate, as is their new building. I have never once been disappointed in their service. The one thing they do not offer is Audi loaners - they used to but now use Enterprise. They are so large that the loaner fleet was getting too cumbersome to manage, and I think there were insurance issues as well.
    The only issue with Carousel is the rental car deal. Since I purchased the vehicle from Maplewood Imports, Carousel will not give out the no-charge loaner. Considering I received first-class treatment, paying $30.00 for a loaner on occasion would not preclude me doing business with Carousel again.

I was told that Carousel had the largest (new-style) Audi dealership building in the country-until an Audi dealer in Dallas has built (or is building) an even larger setup!
    I also bought my last Audi (allroad) at Maplewood, but had it serviced at Carousel. The one time that I needed a loaner - all the other times were just routine maintenance and I just waited - they did offer a free rental, which I know is not their usual policy. Our other Audi (A4, 57k) has never needed to be in the shop for more than an hour and a half, so we've never needed a rental with that one (purchased in Rochester to save about $1,000).

Now the bad news...two weeks ago I was involved in a multi-car accident on 494, and the allroad suffered major damage to the point where they decided to total the car. This was very disheartening as I really loved the vehicle, but on the other hand I was glad they decided to total it since the engine needed replacement and Audi apparently would not have continued the warranty, at least on the engine. The insurance company was very fair, and gave me $38,400 including sales tax on a 2 1/2 year old allroad with 34,000 miles on it. I was very happy with that.

I decided to go a different route as far as a replacement vehicle goes, and tonight I picked up an FX45. Very different I know, but the ride home sure was fun, and I think I'm going to really like it. I am sure I will come back to Audi once again at some point, but I was just ready for a change I guess.
    Good luck with your new vehicle, that pile up on 494 must have been one big accident scene!

My next vehicle purchase will be based on my relationship with the service dept much more than the price of whatever make or model I may buy.At this point, Carousel would get my business if I buy Audi again.
  • djdjdjdj Posts: 111
    Tonight, I read through most of these posts and it re-enforces my opinion that the problem with German cars is that all the manufacturers buy electronic components from the same sub-standard manufacturers.
      I bought the Audi because I can't walk into my Mercedes dealership without cursing someone out. M-B doesn't really care about its customers either and their electronic components have the same problems as the Audi's; not coils but other mystery electrical problems. I had to laugh when I read comments from writers here who want a M-B instead. The Cleveland Plain-Dealer reported that Consumer Digest rated M-B as the worst cars because of all the problems with ML's (which I have) and the C-class (which I considered until I drove one; underpowered and overpriced if you don't want a stripped rear wheel drive one). Also the BWM X-5 Town Center seems to be pretty much the same griping as the M-B and Audi owners over electrical issues.
       One friend of mine has a two year A4 1.8 Quattro with no problems and another has the same model from 1998 and the only problems are loose trim and stains on the seats from coffee cups flying out of the cheap cup holders. They love their cars.
       Unfortunately no one builds cars that drive like the German cars do. The Japanese cars seem like an intelligent choice but they are soulless to drive. Also, the worst car I ever owned was a 1986 Honda Accord. Their automatic transmissions were very fragile (confirmed to me by a used car dealer who raved about Toyota's and Nissan's in comparison) and the dealer I used for service sucked.
       It seems to me that if you want to have fun driving then this aggrevation is the price you pay. Infiniti seems to be trying to go that route but I wasn't in the mood to wait for a AWD version, and the I35 didn't excite me.
       So far now, I am just going to hope that my A4 is one of the good ones and enjoy the ride.
  • dpvwia2dpvwia2 Posts: 11
    Well, heck, with all the complaints on this site, I figured I'd better post a quick message.

First, people who read this (and similar) site should realize the posts are not a representative cross-section of the total Audi owner population. In general, only those (relatively few?) poor folks who have problems are going to be posting much on such fine sites as this.

Second, my 2002 A4 3.0 Quattro just hit 10,000 miles with nothing wrong. And I have all those potentially troublesome goodies, such as xenon lights and heated seats. I'm bringing it in to the dealer next week for the standard (free) 10k services, and they are replacing all the coils just in case.

So there. Buy an Audi. Drive. Have fun.

Dave
  • cyberpmgcyberpmg Posts: 83
    Dave,

How were you able to get all of your coils replaced? I had one fail on me back in January, and they only replaced the one. Since then, they have not replaced any of the other coils.

The original AoA letter said that they would be replaced only when the second coil fails. If your service team has any extras for the 3.0, send them my way. =)
  • stray_catstray_cat Posts: 9
    you just answered one of my questions, thank you.
    i was wondering about 2002-2003 A4 owners, like yourself, and if/when audi would be replacing ALL their ignition coils. they gave a press release back in january 2003 stating they would be replacing all their coils (not just the faulty ones), but only as more parts become available. i wanted to know if that had happened yet to date.....so thanks.
  • jimdpajimdpa Posts: 1
    I have a 98 A4 Avant Quattro 2.8 V-6 w / 75,000 miles. Recently I've had to replace both rear wheel bearings. To my mind this seems excessive. Since the 50K warranty expired, maintenance costs (not counting oil/filters and other consumables) have run about $1700. I would appreciate your comments.

JimDPA
  • davkingdavking Posts: 51
    Sounds excessive to me. I have never had wheel bearings replaced on any car I have owned over the past 49 years, and I drove several of them to 100,000 miles. $1700 dollars for the job seems expensive to me.
  • dpvwia2dpvwia2 Posts: 11
    Sorry for the delay in my response. You're absolutely right - the service guy mistook my last name for a similar customer who also left a message with them about losing another coil!

So when I got there, I was told exactly what we've all heard - no complete replacements unless it's your 2nd coil to go bad. Good news: the service guy here thought the actual recall would start next month.

But I got a nice Jetta loaner anyway and they vacuumed out my A4, so I'm not complaining (until I really do lose a coil!)...

Dave
  • svpatelsvpatel Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I'd like some advice. I have a '99 A4 1.8T quattro, 51K miles. It's had a bad AC fan and I've had to have the rear brakes replaced twice and the front once. The dealer is telling me that german cars are making harder (metallic) brakes and softer roters so the brakes go bad faster but they brake better. This pretty much sounds like a crock to me, but I would like your opinion. I have also always had other small nagging problems, so I have just about had it with the car. There are certain things that i love about the car which is why I've kept it so long (awd, nice finish, fold down seats, etc.)

Thanks for the adivce.
    Sanjay
  • jeff189jeff189 Posts: 1
    I live in the UK and have a 1997 A4 1.8T Sport (Engine code: AEB) and need some help.

I recently replaced the timing belt but foolishy skimped by not replacing the timing belt tensioner, which has now failed a few months later cauding the belt to jump.

My Audi dealer wants to stip down the head to check for valve damage at huge expense, but I would prefer to avoid this if possible - Question: Is the stroke on a 1781cc AEB engine such that piston and valve contact could occur ??? If any Audi mechanics/experts can assist me in the UK, would appreciate it. Thanks
  • audiman4audiman4 Posts: 2
    Jeff- definitely have them strip down the engine. My daughter's timing belt broke and all 20 valves were bent. In fact, I'm now into a replacement engine. Have them check for "low end" damage as well.
  • ramza39ramza39 Posts: 23
    My car is 3.0 Quattro Auto and it is with premium package including the memory seat. Now the car has 2200km on it and the memory seat isn't working properly; it just doesn't work, though the power seat is okay. When i press the button (1,2,3...), the seat won't adjust (quite oddly both side mirrors will go into the preset position. I am very frustating since the car is only 2 months old and the memory seat isn't working, so does anyone experience this problem?
  • ramza39ramza39 Posts: 23
    just wanna clarify the problem.... when i first open the door and press the '1', the seat will adjust; then i press '2', it will move to the second position but when i try to press '1' again or any other buttons, the seat refuses to move. Then i have to wait maybe 4 or 5 min. and then the memory buttons will work again. During this period of time, the power seat works fine except for the memory. I am not sure if this problem is related to weather or not coz these few days are very hot (over 30C) and humid and the car is parked outside in the sun for 8
    hours. I am just wondering how many owners have problems with their power seats.
  • bluhorsebluhorse Posts: 1
    I leased an black on black 2003 A4 1.8T CVT (Sport and Premium packages) with chrome wheels (they took the regular 17" wheels and chromed them and asked $1995 for them) for $398/month (tax incl.) for 47 months with $3000 down (incl. cap.cost reduction, tax, disposition fee, license and first month's payment) and 15k miles a year in a high pressure deal (my fault for not walking...but I had been planning to get one for awhile) and the dealer sent me away with a car with at least 200 more miles on the odometer than they had listed on the paper work. They did fix this to my advantage the next day, but...they also had to fix at least two chips in the paint and the car already has a rattle in the dash in front of the steering wheel that is getting progressively worse in the 2 weeks I have had car, the car seems to have excessive wind noise, even at low speeds, and the driver's door often won't shut completely without a second attempt, and the turbo lag? is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] when I accelerate on occasion (that seems to be getting worse, too), the stereo (not a Bose) absolutely is the worst I have heard in a car of this "quality" and has horrible reception to boot. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. But here is the real kicker for you JD Power ratings readers out there. Rusnak Audi of Thousand Oaks, CA requests that you give them a perfect score on all questions when a rep from JD Powers calls you, even if that might not be what you would have done. They even offered me a nominal amount of money to do so. So much for the integrity of those ratings, eh?
  • jckalachejckalache Posts: 6
    Hi,

I own a 2003 A4 3.0 and I've been very happy so far. No squeaks or rattles in general. Recently, I've noticed one faint rattle coming from the dashboard. I can only hear it at high speeds and it sounds like an electrical short circuit. Has anyone experienced a similar behavior?

thanks. jc
  • jckalachejckalache Posts: 6
    Hi,

when first bought my 2003 A4 I vaguely remember having some memory seat problems mainly with the remotes and I believe I was able to fix them by erasing and resetting the position. I can't remember of the top of my head what the combination keys were to reset it by you should find it in the manual. Hope that helps. Good luck.

jc
  • chaseboychaseboy Posts: 30
    Hey everyone. Has anyone purchased an extended warranty for their A4 at the time of purchase or after? I have a 2001 A4 2.8 Quattro that I plan on keeping for a long time and would like to know if it is worth the cost of an extended warranty to cover it to 100k. I have communicated with the finance director at the dealership where I purchased the car and they said that a 6yr/100k extended warranty with $0 deductible would run around $2500. What do you all think is a fair price for this coverage, and is it worth getting, especially considering the dollar amount repairs would cost after the manufacturer's warranty is up. Thanks.
    Bluhorse:

Rusnak Audi was the selling dealer to the Edmunds Audi Long-Term Driving Experience. I know they were mentioned several times during the Audi 1.8 or 3.0 CVT driving experience write-up.
  • superconsupercon Posts: 2
    Hi, everyone,
    I drive a 03 A4 1.8T 5 speed and it works quite good till now. But recently I suddenly heard a sound and slight shake from the accelerator pedal when I drive the car out of the garage and begin to accelerate. The sound is something like a scratch of a car's bottom touching the ground. Of course it should be listened very carefully. It will happen when the car matches the items below: cooling engine, after backing, first accelerating. It will not exist if I stop the car quickly and push the pedal again. I guess adjusting gear from R to 1 bring the sound. is it normal or some problem in my car? Thanks.
  • cyberpmgcyberpmg Posts: 83
    That may possibly be the sound from the ABS self check that is done the first time after you start the car. If so, then this sound is normal.
  • superconsupercon Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for explain. Now I set my heart at ease.
  • bryanwangbryanwang Posts: 2
    Dashboard rattles mostly likely comes from the glove box. Go to office depot or Staples and buy a $2 Velco strip and tape it at the contact point (3 of them) inside the glove box and it should solve the problem. Good luck...