Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• zippy753zippy753 Posts: 1
    Dont buy it with out a warranty. At least, don't keep a CVT out of warranty - it's a money pit.

The problem is that the CVT is a sealed, closed design and can't be rebuilt or fixed. A replacement transmission costs about $8000.

An Audi technician actually told me that the CVT issue was a "dirty secret" and he has seen way too many problems with that transmission.

I think it's reprehensible that Audi knows about this flaw and won't do anything to mitigate the problem - that kind of repair should not be almost half the value of the car just out of warranty.
  • rbasrbas Posts: 1
    haha thought it was only my gas cap tether that was missing.

I have a 2002 3.0. My radio is broke. It is constantly lit up, even when I turn the car off. It does not respond to anything, can't turn on radio, can't take out CD, etc. All the buttons and the LCD screen just glow red. Any advice? Prior to this my LCD would sometimes just die for 5 seconds. This minor problem happened for about 6 months leading up to this, but very rarely. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Also I ripped off my skip plate, accidently. I have the sport pkg. Is it worth the $200 investment to put it back on? Thanks again.
  • smeadstersmeadster Posts: 1
    Ran audi out of oil while driving was wondering what kind of damage this could have caused any and all suggestions would help, looking to fix and get an idea of what it could cost
  • wilnerwilner Posts: 30
    1999 a4 2.8 quattro, my problem is the ABS warning light comes on while driving and at the same time the BRAKE warning light comes on blinking with an audible warning signal. i read the manual, it says that the ABS system is not functioning properly. are there anybody can advice me to solve this problem. i don't want to go to the dealer anymore because they did not solve my problem(engine oil pressure warning light), and somebody here advice me to replace my oil viscosity instead of 5W-30 i replaced it to 20W-50. and my problem was solved. thanks.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,637
    RE: ABS

You'll have to have it scanned to read the codes. Audis do have somewhat frequent control module failures for the ABS system. This module sits under the hood. The labor to replace it isn't much, about 1/2 hour, but the part is around $500.

But maybe it's not that and only a failed wheel sensor.

However, you'll need to take it to someone who has the proper type of scanner for the ABS system for that car. A good independent shop will have this tool for Audis.

If you're ever up in the Bay Area from down south there I can recommend a shop for you.
    thanks again Mr_Shiftright. should the warning light on when you have it scan, because it occasionally show the warning light on and off after 1 or 2 days. is it dangerous to have a long drive with this kind of problem? i appreciate it very much if you can recommend me that shop at the Bay Area, i always traveled in that area 1 or 2 times a month and my family(mom and sister) lives there.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,637
    I'll e-mail you. What the light means is that your ABS is inoperative, so while you'll have good brakes you won't have the optimum in all situations. I think the codes are stored in the system so it should show up.
    thank you again, sir. i really appreciate your advice and i received your e-mail.
  • ncaudincaudi Posts: 1
    How long was your car out of warranty? Were you the orginal owner. I have had 2 transmissions go and only have 30K miles on the car. Are you aware of any lawsuits?
  • jfhillmannjfhillmann Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. Qucik questioin for anyone who knows the answer.

I have a 1998 A4 1.8T. Occasionally, but not every time, when I shut down the engine, the interior dome light will "flash." That is, it will turn off for 2-3 seconds, then turn off for 2-3 seconds, and so on, until I leave and lock the car. I'm trying to determine what this means? does anyone know? I'm thinking it has something to do with the electrics in the car. Recently, I'm using a few different devices out of the cigarette lighter (iPod FM receiver, GPS, cell phone charger, etc.) Sometimes, I'll leave the devices plugged in. Does this behavior have any relationship to the light show I get? Thanks. :confuse:
  • audikidaudikid Posts: 1
    Hi Im kinda new to my Audi so i dont know what im getting into I have about 111,000 miles on my 1999 a4 1.8t. My check engine light comes on and the car loses power so I figured it was the coils and the shop said that I had a misfire in cyl 3 so i replaced the spark plugs and the coils but no luck it still shakes abruptly and the light comes back is there anything else i must change please I need help. P.S I go to college and Im broke so the cheapest solution will help thanks
  • jockwelwynjockwelwyn Posts: 2
    When i start my car the the coil light goes out but when i start driving it keeps flashing. any input would be great dont know i thing about cars.
  • I have a 2005 A4 3.0 Cab Quattro w/ Bose Premium Sound System. Problem is that burned CD's will play a few songs and then it stops and gives ERROR 2 message - which means scratched cd, but these are brand new. I can skip ahead 5 or 6 songs until one plays again...the player sounds like it is trying to skip around (buzzing back and forth).

The Dealer says it is the cd burner - and to try and burn at a slower speed. No change. These same cd's that give me problems in my Audi play just fine in any other car, home or portable cd player I have tried.

The result is the same whether I burn the cd's with iTunes or Dell's Music Match software.

Anyone els with a similar problem or is the dealer trying to get out of repair/replacing my cd player?
  • thomsonangthomsonang Posts: 1
    Were you speeding, or does it always happen after you go over a certain speed? You could have accidentally set your speed limiter. If that's not it, sorry, that's as much as I know.
  • doru31doru31 Posts: 1
    I have the same annoying problems with the squeaking and clicking front suspension on my 2006 A4. I only have 7,000 miles on the car. Every time I go over larger potholes or speed-bumps, the front suspension make these noises. It's been doing this since I bought it brand new. Is this normal? Does anyone know how to resolve it?
  • I have a familiar problem, one that at least 19 other Audi owners/posters have already detailed. I'm so ANGRY (hence the long post) that so many people seem to suffer from premature and repeated clutch failure, and not a single person seems to have had any success fighting Audi, in court or otherwise.

My details:
    * I leased my Audi A4 1.8T new in 2004. I drive it less than 10k miles per year on weekends (I'm a CPA and travel out-of-town on business during the week). All maintenance has been done at Audi dealers on schedule.
    * On a road trip with family 2 months ago, the clutch failed suddenly without warning (on gear change, pedal stuck against floorboard) 200 miles from home. Vehicle had to be towed 130 miles to Santa Barbara.
    * Audi dealership in Santa Barbara dropped the transmission and told me: the clutch disk was "overheated" and "worn" in a way to indicate driver abuse/misuse--they said the friction material was completely "shaved" away and the repair would cost me $1,600.
    * I energetically disagreed, provided details of how the car has been driven (kid gloves/weekends) and shared that my driving habits have resulted in my 1988 Honda Civic DX having 280,000 miles on it with only 2 clutch replacements.
    * 2 months later (I still don't have the car back) after repeated correspondence with Audi of America, no deal has been reached. Audi of America has said they stand behind their dealership's assessment, and would not replace the clutch due to driver abuse.
    * I'm scheduled for an arbitration hearing with the Better Business Bureau on June 11, 2007. I hope to have the clutch assembly replaced under the Audi Advantage Maintenance Protection program and my rental car fees of $222 paid for by Audi.

I'm flabbergasted that despite being well within the warranty period, I'm in a position to have to PROVE that I DIDN'T abuse the clutch. I mean, shouldn't Audi have to PROVE that I DID in fact do something wrong!

Does anyone know whether a case can be made on the fact that the clutch failure was sudden and without warning or indication of any kind....ie., no slippage, grinding, warning light, etc.

I hope as the 20th or so poster on this issue, I will be able to report back something fruitful from the arbitration. If not, I'm ready to follow Shom1 and empginam to court.
    i found the fault in this 1999 Audi A4 2.8L V6 Quattro. Electrical Connection between ABS and Instrument Cluster - No Signal - Intermittent.
    pls. share your know how, how to correct this problem. thanks.
  • Recently purchased 2003 A4 convertible. Passenger side power seat only goes back half as far as driver seat. Motor is working but seat stops. Is this some kind of memory problem or setting I'm missing?
  • athorntonathornton Posts: 6
    Hi:
    We recently had the same experience with our 2004 A4 clutch at about 25000 miles. It was a sudden failure, with symptoms of clutch not disengaging, and difficulty engaging ang changing gears (ie crashing gears). Clearly out of the same scriptbook, we were given the song and dance about the overheated clutch and how we had abused it by continually racing the car and dropping the clutch. This is nonsense, of course. My wife is a teacher, 59 years old. They showed us a damaged clutch. I have no idea whether it was our clutch. We will have to pay $1500 to get the car back.
    Not sure what to do. We are thinking of engaging a professional engineer to investigate their claims. We may also inform the State Attorney General, and the NTSB.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Regards
    athornton
    Minnesota.
  • greg565greg565 Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 A4 1.8T Quattro that caught on fire just sitting in the garage. Smoke was coming out from the engine compartment but I managed to push the car out. The car only had 25,000 miles on it. Local fire department put out the fire and Audi roadside service towed it to Diablo Audi in Concord, California. The dealership was terrible!!! I called Audi corporate but they are slow to react. Any suggestions?