Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Weird noise on bumps but only after driving 10 minutes or so. Chevy Equinox.

reeree Member Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in Chevrolet

hi I bought a 2010 chev equinox awd almost a year ago. I love it but noticed a couple months ago that after driving for about 10 min or so the car makes a weird noise going over any bumps say parking lot bumps so u can"t speed. the noise sounds like say u have a case of water wrapped in plastic and it moves and makes a noice of the plastic bottles rubbing together?? sounds weird right!!
I am wondering if it is the shocks or struts or wheel bearings?
I bought the extended warranty with my car and hopefully it will be covered shock absorbers are not covered and considered routine maintenance

Answers

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

You've done a great job of describing the sound.

I would suspect a shock or strut making the noise OR there may be a covering over the rod that moves in and out. The covering is a plastic with ribs.

But another source may be a sway bar called stabilizer bar. They run through rubber bushings that hold them so that the rod has to twist when one wheel goes up or down relative to the other wheel. I have had a car where that rubber against the rod made a scrunching sound sometimes. If I was driving in rain, that didn't happen because the water lubed the surface. Dealer spray a molybdenum spray on the rubber bushing where it met the rod of the stabilizer bar.

There may be a stabilizer bar on the rear of your vehicle as well as the front.

Can you go over a speed bump at an angle so that only one wheel goes up over it while the other front wheel stays flat. That would help eliminate some parts.

There also might be a noise coming from rubber bushings where the A-arm meets the frame.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• reeree Member Posts: 3

Hi thanks for taking the time to answer my post. now that u mention it I did notice that when it was raining I didn't notice the sound. the sound is definitely coming from the front. I will drive later today and try the speed bump investigation. and let u know what happens

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

Hi ree! We understand you'll be going through some trial and error to determine what's causing the sound from your vehicle. Our apologies for any frustration this has caused, but we look forward to hearing your findings. If there's anything we can do to help please do not hesitate to reach out to us via private message.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

@ree said:
    Hi thanks for taking the time to answer my post. now that u mention it I did notice that when it was raining I didn't notice the sound. the sound is definitely coming from the front. I will drive later today and try the speed bump investigation. and let u know what happens