Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003 Impreza TS automatic - "clinks" when switching between drive and reverse

mmrtechmmrtech Member Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Subaru

Almost every morning, when I put my car in reverse and then step on the accelerator, I hear a sharp "clink" sound from the front of the car. After I've backed from the driveway to the street, I put the transmission in drive and step on the accelerator again and often hear the clink again. It doesn't happen EVERY time, but has become very common in the mornings. It only started doing this within the last month or two. I haven't observed any other problems.
The car has about 80k miles on it and has not had any transmission work done.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.
Matt

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Could be a lot of things, so it needs to go on a lift to see what's up. We can't hear the noise and thus can't say whether this is a transmission noise, an engine/trans mount problem, a CV joint noise, or just some loose part in the suspension, like bad bushings in the sway bar, or worn control arm bushings.

• mmrtechmmrtech Member Posts: 2

Thank you for the response. I was just hoping this was one of those kind of symptoms that someone would recognize as characteristic of Impreza's, similar to when I reported an oil/coolant leak to my mechanic and he told me that was pretty standard for Subarus. Or when I found on another forum that the intermittent failure of my wipers and radio was related to a loose connection in the ignition switch.
    If anyone else has encountered these symptoms before, please let me know, otherwise I'll plan to take it in for a thorough check.
    Thanks again, I appreciate the list of possible issues.