Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

tundra and 5th wheeling capability

lake5lake5 Member Posts: 56
edited April 2014 in Toyota
and would like some advice.
i'm wanting to purchase a new tundra soon, and i need advice on whether or not the tundra can be used for 5th wheel duty. when i ask the dealer, their answer is "sure you bet". uh huh, but they can't provide anything to support their answer.
thanks in advance to any replies.

Comments

• redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    looks like the tundra folks have exculuded you from the obvious. so here's my .02's, the tundra is not a fullsize truck so therefore has none of the 5th wheel capabilities that you are asking about. look into the chevrolet, ford or dodge makes, for a truck that will handle your needs.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    The Tundra can 5th wheel as well as any of the Big2 1/2 ton pickups.

I stress 1/2 ton. You have not specified what you are towing, so I guess it is easy for the insecure Chev pack to say that the Tundra can't do it.

Why don't you tell us what you are trying to tow?
  • lake5lake5 Member Posts: 56
    i'm still convinced that i want the tundra, and at this time i do not own a trailer. i drive a tacoma at this time, so i have not purchased a trailer. sounds to me though, that if i can find a trailer that's suitable for the tundra, there should'nt be any problems. now to find the right setup. any suggestions?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    what are you towing?
    Box or flatbed

car?

Ryan
    after watching the indy race today, i think i'll go check out the truck you mentioned. seems to be a lot more choices than the tundra. sometimes, like my better half says, i'm narrow minded, but maybe i need to look at what i need for safety.
    thanks again
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    What did Cliff post? It seems that you don't have a clue. I am STILL waiting for you to tell me what you want to tow.

Ryan has asked this: Do you know what you want to tow?
    the wife and i just returned home after test driving a chevy crew cab. it is an awesome truck and today is a somewhat windy dat so it gave us an idea of just how stable it is. as a matter of fact it was rock solid. the truck we test drove was a short bed though, and our salesman showed us a truck they were setting up for 5th wheeling which was also a shortbed. apparently the chevy bed is 6" longer than the tundras, so that makes quite a bit of difference. i guess you can tell that i'm pretty jazzed about this, but i just wanted to thank you for being helpful.
This discussion has been closed.