Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1998 Sunfire Hesitation

barmcmbarmcm Posts: 1
edited April 1 in Pontiac
Twice now I have experienced hesitation when idling at a stop light or stop sign and the Engine Icon shows up on the instrument panel. The icon goes away and then a few days later there is no hesitation, then a month later the same problem returns. I have checked the spark plugs and they look good and the gap is correct. These are also platinum plugs so they are supposed to be good for 160,000 km.
Has anybody experienced this or know what might be causing this?

Comments

• alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    An intermittent CEL usually stores a diagnostic trouble code in the powertrain control module. Your vehicle is OBD-II compliant and a scan tool is required to retrieve the stored DTC's. Once the affected circuit/system has been identified the rest is pretty straightforward diagnosis. Any other approach is guesswork.
  • 79377937 Posts: 390
    barmcm, I recieved a recall notice for my 99 Cavalier that described the same problem as you mentioned. That is, if you have a 2.2L engine. There is an issue with the spark plug cables and GM will replace them at no cost. If you have a 2.4L engine which has no spark plug cables - then I dunno.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    Try using conventional plugs instead of those platinum type expecially if they are bosch type.It sounds like you have a missfiring plug to me.Also the ecm will turn the light on if you have and cylinder that missfires.
This discussion has been closed.