Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    that Paul Newman is a senior citizen, a VERY senior citizen!

You know, the 80+ year old that drove a Daytona Prototype in last month's 24 hours of Daytona.
  • spencer327spencer327 Posts: 106
    noise is front differential. At least a week before Its available. I am really starting to question my choice of vehicle.
    Brakes,tranny now differential. At least this is a problem, that can be fixed.
  • ddpstcddpstc Posts: 44
    After changing oil at 4700 miles, I could not reset the Maint Req light in my 2004 HL that keeps showing up above the Fuel guage. I followed the manual, turned the ignition key to lock, press down the trip meter button, then turned the key to ON position for 5 seconds, the number resetted to 0000 but the Maint Req light keep showing up. What did I miss?
    Why does Toyota make it too complex to reset the Maintenance Ligh? In my Honda CR-V, all I have to do to reset the maintenance light is to insert the key to a reset hole, why can't Toyota make it simple for driver?
    Is there a way to disconnect the fuse to the Maintenance light for good? Most cars in the market have no maintenance light and they worked fine.
  • loucapriloucapri Posts: 214
    i hate the maintenance light!

I mean, that little oil change sticker the dealer put on is good enough.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 469
    It sounds like you did everything right. Was the light working properly before the oil change? I believe after 4500 miles it was supposed to flash for something like 12 seconds each time you started the vehicle. You may have a short of some kind that they should take care of under warranty.
  • I had to have the Toyota dealership show me how to clear out this light. Turn the ignition (don't start) to Accessory. Hold in the black trip button until the odometer turns to 0000000. The light should turn off.

The good news is the light did not go on at 10,000 miles.
  • mckeownmckeown Posts: 165
    Accoring to the Shop Manual (and my wife's 2004 now has 27K on it so I know this works).
    Key on...doesn't matter if the engine is running or not, push trip button until ODM is displayed.
    Key off......push and while HOLDING Trip button...Key turned to on (do not start engine). After 5 sec. of holding the Trip reset, the Maint Req inducator should turn off.
    This will reset it to the Next 5K interval. Approx 4500 miles from now the Maint Req indicator will stay illuminated for 15-20 sec after the vehicle is started as a subtle reminder that the next Service Interval is nearing.
  • edhedh Posts: 246
    is an unnecessary frill.
    i would rather have auto locking doors when u drive off
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    I had a Honda Civic that had the maintenance light, but it came on at 10,000 mile intervals, and that seemed way too long for an oil change, altho that is what Honda stated in the manual for that car. We always change oil at 5,000 miles. If I have to reset the light, oh well... Perhaps it should be an owner setting to specify at what mileage the light comes on? or not on at all? That would allow for the different usage types (normal or severe) :-)

Everyone is different. I hate the auto locking doors, and always disable them when I get a car that has them. Just personal preference. I think that a vehicle in the class of the Highlander should offer the auto locking doors, but also allow for personal settings. BTW, I had my dealer set the remote so all the doors unlock with one push of the unlock button on the remote. (this should also be able to be done by the owner) My wife prefers the ability to only unlock the drivers door with the remote, so her car takes 2 pushes to unlock all doors.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 469
    I have an '04 4-cylinder Highlander. While driving I don't hear any unusual noise, but a week ago I heard a high-pitched squeeling noise or whirring noise when my daughter opened the front passenger door when I dropped her off at her job. I rolled down the driver's window and even opened the driver's door a bit, but didn't hear anything.

This morning I heard it again when I dropped off my daughter, and when I got home I left the engine running and got out. Once I stepped out of the car I could hear it. It's hard to pinpoint, but it seems to me that the noise is coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment where there are two belts, one higher and one lower.

I'm due for 15,000 mile service in the next week or two. Does this noise sound familiar to any 4-cylinder owners? Does anyone know the purpose of these belts? (Alternator? A/C?) I'd like to be able to say more than just ask the service technician if he hears the noise, too. Thanks. Any input is appreciated.
    My 04 highlander has the manual air conditioner. The heat / cold dial is a large round one on the dash.
    When its on "full cold" (counterclockwise i think) I still get a little heating, that is, outside air is like 10 degrees warmer when it comes out the vents..
    Is this dial mis adjusted?
    is the dial a water control valve or is it a air control (damper door0 valve??

Anyone know?
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    Others have stated that it's a damper that modulates the heat. Outside air will be slightly warmer as a result until that area is cooled down enough from incoming air, but will still be higher than outside, but maybe not as high as 10 degrees.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    So the hot water heat exchanger inside the climate control plenum will always be at ~180F and the radiant heat therefrom will ALWAYS result in the incoming air being warmed slightly.

You can purchase a Ford motor driven fuel tank selector valve and install it inline with the hose and turn off the flow in A/C mode.
  • bm2bm2 Posts: 1
    Make sure the meter is showing ODO xxxx miles instead of Trip A or Trip B. Turn the key to the Lock pos. press the meter reset switch, turn to the On pos. while holding the reset switch 3-5 secs.
    or a shut off valve in the line to the heater core - any idea what its inside diameter is? Turn it off in may , on in October where I live.
    I had a firebird with no hot water valve - put a brass water valve in it.
  • samovarsamovar Posts: 4
    Just brought home 2005 V6 AWD Limited purchased for invoice +$300 - $750 rebate. Two questions already on the ride home:

1) The defrost wires on the two rear side windows are different: one side has vertical wires covering only half the window, the other side has horizontal wires. Is that normal? Why the asymmetry?

2) Moonroof controls don't seem to operate per the manual. I have to hold down in either direction to open/close/tilt, and it moves so fast it's hard to know exactly when the roof is closed and sealed. The manual indicates that if you push the switch it should open or return to full closed position automatically and that you actually need to give it a little push to stop in a part open position. How is it supposed to work?

Thanks!
    those wires are the antenna for the radio..no defroster in the back SIDE windows

read the manual again for the "normalization" procedure for the moonroof..takes only about 30 seconds to get it so it works as you want.
  • samovarsamovar Posts: 4
    Thanks. Great vehicle.
    I have a new 05 Limited, and this is my first vehicle with automatic climate control. I have a question for those of you that have this sysytem in your Limited. Why does the recirc come on every time I turn the car on when I have the A/C off? The outside temp is in the middle 60s, and I have the temp control set to 65 (the lowest) to just get fresh air coming in from the outside. If I push the recirc button to "off" (to get fresh outside air) the next time I start the car, it sets it back to recirc again. Why? It's not a big deal to push it to get fresh again, (I read an earlier post describing this as well) but I wonder why it does this when the automatic setting is set to off? I guess the AUTO function doesn't really turn off?

I can understand when I have AUTO on and ask for A/C, the recirc comes on, at a higher fan speed at first, then, as the interior of the car cools off, the fan speed lowers, and the recirc turns off. But when the A/C is off, and the recirc comes on, (and never does turn off by itself as it does in the A/C AUTO mode) the car can never cool down with interior warmer air recirculated. The manual seems lacking in it's discussion of this feature.

Thanks for any thoughts and comments.