Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• This problem started last week. I went to fill up at the local station, and the pump shut off at 1/2 full even though it wasn't full. I assumed it was the pump and let the attendant know. At the next station, I only got $1 in before it shut off. This is when I realized it was the vehicle, not the station. The dealership thinks it could be the charcoal canister ($624 part), but aren't completely sure. I'd prefer not to find out after labor which may run me $1000 in the end. Now, when my tank gets low and the light comes on, then suddenly the gauge goes back to 1/2 full without filling up. So they think it could be both the sensor and the canister. Not what I wanted to hear. :mad:

Anyone else have this problem? :confuse: My Highlander has over 108,000.
  • ashish2274ashish2274 Posts: 9
    Hi,
    I purchased a highlander 2007 4X4 6 cyl this month. One thing I have noticed is that when I release the brake and turn the steering there is a lot of noise, which seems to be coming from the back of the vehicle . Is this something which will go away with time, or should I show it at the dealer's ? I have driven some 250 miles.

Any guidance will be deeply appreciated
    Thanks,
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    If this is happening in a fairly tight accelerating turn on a slippery, even slightly so, roadbed surface then what you are likely hearing is the VSC system activating the rear brakes to prevent understearing.

Otherwise you have a VSC sensor failing.
  • ashish2274ashish2274 Posts: 9
    Thanks.....this is happening on a normal road surface......it is most pronounce when I am taking out the car from the parking lot.
    Should I take the car to the dealer ?
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    This doesn't appear normal. I would take it to the dealer as soon as possible.
  • tomtoytomtoy Posts: 2
    Also have problem with maintenance req'd light. How to turn off?
  • tomtoytomtoy Posts: 2
    How to turn off?
  • gasman1gasman1 Posts: 321
    message # 3192 explains how to do it
  • carflashcarflash Posts: 1
    Hi,

Have you visited your dealer? How's the result? I think I have exactly the same problem as yours. Mine is also a 2007 4X4 6 highlander with just 1000 miles. I have the same kind of noise coming from back of the car while turning the steering when the car is still, of course with brake pedal off. It seems it's kinda common problem not just your car. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • I have called them to make an appt for various things, and they are not very freindly or helpful! Which seems to be the trend with Toyota maintenance from what I have heard from friends and this forum (too late of course). So I am looking for a good Toyota mechanic who is out on his own. Even thinking of getting something else for a vehicle not a Toyota due to the maintenance issues! Hope you can resolve your problem with your SUV and find a good mechanic.
  • leighnerleighner Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. The water is also going into the wheelwell. Mine is also a 2001 and has just recently started this. How did you solve the problem?
  • I just bought version 6.1 for my 06 Highlander for $220. I'm happy with the addition of streets, restaurants, and gas stations that I've seen so far.
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Posts: 215
    My new Highlander 07 runs with the temperature guage at about the half way point. Is this common for Highlanders?

On all the other vehicles that I have owned for the last 20 years including Fords, Toyotas and Hondas the temperature guage usually runs at about the one-quarter point vs. the half way point my new Highlander does.
  • Mine runs at halfway (2002 Highlander) as well as all of the Honda Accords I've owned and my 07 Dodge Ram 1500. This is normal.
  • Yes! I have practiced this on both of my Honda Accords ('86 & '96) and my 2002 Highlander. The reason being, if your water pump goes out after you had your belts changed, you're looking at paying more in labor for them to diassemble your engline all over again. It's all in the same area. Save yourself the money and get it all done at once around 90,000.
  • Just an update, this turned out to be one of the two fuel senders which totalled about $320 after the labor. But what I found out last night, is that the new sender is bad too, as I RAN OUT OF GAS on the bypass even though the gauge read a quarter of a tank left. Rule of thumb, keep your trip meter up at all times, not your odometer. Had I realized I had 364 miles on one tank of around-the-town diving, I would have known to fill up. I never go over 300 miles ona tank.
    Interesting since I currently have a 1997 Honda Accord (original owner) and the temperature guage runs at the quarterway rather than the halfway. As all of my previously owned vehicles I have owned have done.

It does sound like no biggie running at the halfway point though since your wheels run at the halfway point on the temperature guage.
    How about some of you other Highlander owners. Does your temperature guage also run at the halfway point rather than the quarterway point?
  • kflanigankflanigan Posts: 7
    I'm on my 2nd Highlander (after crashing my 2002 recently). My new-to-me 2003 is exactly 1/2 way, same as 2002.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    '04 Limited always ran at one half. My new Rav4 also runs at one half. As a matter of fact, most all my cars have. If the Guage was only to a quarter, I would think it was malfunctioning.
    Perhaps it is because you are a "desert guy" that your cars run at one-half?

However, it seems your thoughts on the "half way" temperature guage being normal are consistent with what others are saying.

I on the other hand have always had all my "wheels" running well below the halfway point on the temperature guage and usually at "one quarter". Perhaps all my other vehicles including my currently owned 97 Honda Accord are malfunctioning..............(smile)

In any case, I will adjust my thinking and accept that the "half way" point is normal.

Thanks for your thoughts and those of others.
  • silverltdsilverltd Posts: 18
    I had a 2001 Highlander, my husband had a 2003 Highlander, and we now own a 2007 Highlander. The temperature gauge on all of them has always run at the halfway point or even just very slightly over halfway.

I remember from posts dating back to 2001 when the Highlander first came out that this is normal.
    Thanks, silveltd, I happened to be at the Toyota Dealer today and they confirmed that "halfway" is fine. They did however note that I was not alone in this concern since many new owners have this question. With their prior vehicles running near a "quarter" on the temperature guage.

Which was my problem since every care I have owned that I can remember has run at the "quarter" point.

I also asked about liquid draining from the air conditioning when the HL is turned off. And they said that was normal as well. Often times I have pretty good drainage after stopping and turning off the air conditioning. But they said as long as it was "clear" that was fine since it wasn't from the radiator.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,585
    G'day

The condensed water vapour that flows out of the irconditioner all the time is only really apparent when you stop and it collects under the vehicle. You will notice it a lot more if the air is humid as the air conditioner is very good at pulling the moiture out of the air in the car. I suspect that the rason this is more signifcant than a sedan is to do with the volume of air in the car.

It is entirely normal.

Cheers

Graham
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 470
    I would just add that the AC is in use even if you don't have the AC turned on but if you have the directional control set to windshield defog or half-defog. I asked about that when we got a new Toyota in 2002 because our previous vehicles didn't work that way. I wondered why it was dripping when the AC wasn't in use.
  • dutch26dutch26 Posts: 1
    Highlander V6 02 88K....Service manager says it's time to decide whether to keep it or not. If I want to keep it, he suggests bringing it in and having the belt, water pump, and engine seals done at one time to save money. Does this make sense?
    Sure, but only for the service manager.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,127
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide says the timing belt should be done at 90k, along with replacing some fluids.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Yes, but I know of at least three LS400s, two 92s and one 95, with 150,000 plus miles and running with the original factory timing belt, water pump, and......engine seals...??!!

The timing belt from my 92 LS400 came out at 153,000 and looked as if it might go another 150,000 miles.

15 years later and there has been no improvement in timing belt durability...???

NOT!