Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 469
    Have them check the AC drain system for blockage, especially if you're not getting much water dripping after driving with AC on. We had an '87 Nova (aka California-built Corolla), and the passenger-side carpet would get soaked every now and then. We thought it was leaking in heavy rain, but then it happened once on a long highway trip in dry 90-degree weather. I was looking under the hood for possible causes in a motel parking lot when a guy came up and spotted the problem immediately. The drain tube for the AC had been installed upside down so that the 90-degree turn at the end of the tube was pointing up rather than down. Instead of dripping onto the pavement, water was backed up somewhere in the system and leaking into the floor on the passenger side. Over 6 or 7 hours this was enough to soak the carpet even into the back-seat area. I turned the drain hose to the right position, and didn't have the problem again.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is looking to speak with owners of Chrysler, Saab, Toyota or Volkswagen vehicles who did all the scheduled maintenance on their vehicle and still experienced engine sludge within the warranty period within the past year. If this describes your situation, please respond by 6pm Eastern on Monday, May 23, 2005 to jfallon@edmunds.com.
    Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • wbs25wbs25 Posts: 5
    Can anyone tell me safe spots to use a floor jack on a 2005 V6 FWD Highlander?
    Preferably a center spot to lift one whole side for tire rotation. Thanks much.
  • spencer327spencer327 Posts: 106
    2004 HL Nav screen locks up upon boot, All controls associated with the display do not operate. It was intermittent for a while but now locks up every time. No AC control, no radio controls etc. Bought wiring diagrams, I have concerns that these systems are beyond the ken of the dealers. Dealer has no parts on hand,every attempt to fix it takes a week to order next part. This is a frustrating experience with a vehicle and a dealer which I like. This is on the heels of a 2 week loaner car while the dealer replaced the front differential( which turned out to be a bad right front wheel bearing) Tranny still shifts lousy and brakes are still mushy, but 26MPG on a trip. Toyota needs a dose of reality about their quality and service
    The lip on the bottom of the floor pan has 2 notches front and rear . these are the indicated jack service points .They will bend with a floor jack. But inboard of these points are boxed flat points that one can get a floor jack on without bending the lips. I dont think there is a central point to lift the whole side.
  • jjudgejjudge Posts: 3
    I'm running out of CDs :-)

So for the "radio receives as if it has no antenna" problem ... is the solution just to replace the radio itself?

If so, thats too bad ... I really like the stock radio look, button layout, etc :-(

-- jjudge
    And ... I still need to get off my butt and try the "remove antenna, brush/clean, resocket it" thing.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 469
    If the problem is not the antenna or the connections, there could be something wrong with the radio itself. I think I would try ordering another stock radio from Toyota. If the new radio doesn't get better reception, you probably could return it within a specified time period. Then you would know that the radio itself isn't the problem. Years ago there was a rule of thumb that most FM signals should provide good reception at least to 60 miles away.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    When you look under your HL you can see the main frame members running lengthwise(approx. 2 inches wide). I use these with the jack biased toward the front of the vehicle since it is heavier. Then I can jack up the whole side at once to rotate tires etc.
    spencer327,

I see the notched jack points OK, but I'm not sure what you mean by "boxed" flat points. Inboard of the front notches are flanges (loops) coming down from what seem like main support beams. Are you referring to just in front of those flanges?

Just inboard of the notches in the rear are removable rubber inserts. Just behind those inserts are flat areas on each side, but they're not obvious support beams like in front. Are those the flat points you're referring to?

Thanks again.
    desertguy,

That sounds good. Knowing very little about this, I would probably have put the jack as far back on the frame member as possible to get close to the vehicle's midpoint. If I understand correctly, you're saying its better to put the jack somewhat forward of the midpoint ("biased toward the front" )? Thanks again.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    wbs25 - That is correct. If you move toward the front of the HL, you won't have to jack as high to get the whole side off the ground.
    Thats the spot. I dont recommend lifting the whole side. too much weight on the jack point. Your dealing with a light "structured vehicle " I would only lift one wheel at a time.I also think that Toyota is remiss in not putting decent lifting pads on the unibody. As much as I like Toyota products its things like this that give me pause.
  • scott6840scott6840 Posts: 5
    On my '02 Highlander Limited I have to have either the headlights or the parking lights on in order to have the instrument panel lights on.
    The lack of panel lights on an overcast or rainy day makes it difficult or impossible to read the speedometer and gauges. I feel that there should be "always on" panel lights on a car that costs this much but I haven't found any thus far.
    Did the Toyota engineers screw up or am I missing something? How do I get the panel lights on without having to turn on the headlights?
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    I have been driving since 1967, owned over 40 cars, and none have had that capability, as far as I know. There are some vehicles now that iluminate the gauges when the ignition is turned on, but on those, the numbers on the guages aren't even visibile when the ignition is off. I think they are called "optitron"

I have no problem seeing the guages in either my 03 or 05 Highlander. My only issue is reading the radio display with my polarized sun glasses on.
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    And to add to the above post, I've been driving since 1960 and have owned over 50 vehicles and never have had one where the instrument lights are on when neither the parks nor the headlights are on. And no rental car I ever used did it either. There is obviously not a large call for such a feature. So, the answers to your queries are: no, Toyota didn't screw up and; you don't unless you turn on at least the parks.
  • loucapriloucapri Posts: 214
    I agree with the others. I don't know any cars have such a feature that it will have their instrument panel lights on WITHOUT turn on the parking light.

Do you have experience with other cars that can do that?

If you have problem seeing the gauges, just leave the parking light on and you don't have to turn it off because once you turn off the engine and open the door, all lights will turn off (even if the headlight is on).

That's a feature that should be a MUST for all cars so no one will get a drained battery
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    Leaving on a trip in the next couple of hours, and I decided it would be a good time to experiment ...removing the roof rack cross bars....maybe it will make a difference in wind noise (not objectionable to begin with, but worth a try) or mpg?
    I have loosened all the "thumb wheels" (that are too tight to open with your hands), and can't figure out how to actualy remove the bars.

Anyone know how? The manual doesn't seem to cover this.

thanks for any quick replies
  • jbradbjbradb Posts: 39
    Has anyone had the letter "C" appear and stay on the compass??
  • jbradbjbradb Posts: 39
    I would love to know if it can be changed. My lexus's windows can be lowered with its remote...a nice feature in warm weather. Has anyone had their remote reprogrammed?