Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kman49kman49 Posts: 2
    It's been awhile since you posted this message but I'm wondering if you ever found a fix. I have an 03 HL 2WD that has steering wheel vibration at 69-71mph and the puzzling part is it's only sporadic. Replaced the tires with high end Michelin's, found the dealer had the car off the lot with a mis matched wheel so they gave me 5 new wheels, it's been balanced and aligned but I still have vibration in the steering wheel. Never know when it's going to start nor how long it will last. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I love the vehicle and don't want to have to trade it to get rid of the vibration.
  • imjollymonimjollymon Posts: 1
    I know exactly what this is and is very easy to fix! It is mud built up inside your wheels. All you have to do is have your tire taken off the rim and the mud cleaned up. I need to do this about 3-4 times a year. It costs about $20 and takes care of it completely!
  • jenna1jenna1 Posts: 4
    I'm considering buying a 2001 Highlander Limited with 87,000 miles from a dealer. It's in excellent condition and a good price but the high miles scare me. Any suggestions?
  • goldstongoldston Posts: 110
    Jenna1,

If it were me I'd ask for all the service records. Carefully look at dates and mileage to see how this vehicle was maintained. Look to see if they did the prescribed "color coded" maintenance

Yellow is at 5k, 10k, 20k, 25k miles
    Green is at 15k, 45k, 75k miles
    Blue is at 30k, 60k miles

Good luck, let us know what you found out and decided to do.

Best regards,

Philip
  • jenna1jenna1 Posts: 4
    Good advice! Thanks, Phil
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    This is an educated guess since this has not happened to me, but it probably means that the compass needs to be calibrated. There should be instructions in the manual. IIRC you need to drive in a tight circle in a parking lot or other open space until it displays the direction again.
  • tomjtomj Posts: 1
    My Camry and Corolla moon roofs have always work flawlessly so I knew something was amiss when my new Highlander moon roof would not automatically stop when it reached the closed position. Further, I had to hold my finger on the button to keep it moving. In doing so, It cycled through the tilt open, tilt close, slide open and slide close movements in a consecutive manner without stopping in the closed (or open) position. This became irritating because I had to precisely time the moment to let go of the button as it neared the closed position. The solution, thanks to this forum, was to "normalize" the moon roof. This simple procedure requires pressing and holding the "tilt open" switch until it cycles through a complete tilt open/close and slide open/close cycle. HOWEVER, despite repeated attempts, the roof would not normalize. The ultimate solution was to remove the MOON ROOF FUSE and reinstall it. Following another normalize cycle, my moon roof now works correctly. It opens or closes with a brief touch of the button. The moon roof fuse is located behind the tilt out compartment below and to the left of the steering wheel. Open the compartment and pull the compartment up and out (it will snap out) to gain access to the fuses behind. A label on the back of the (now removed) compartment has the location of the fuse. Hope this helps. :shades:

TomJ
  • scott6840scott6840 Posts: 5
    The Highlander is my wife's car so I don't drive it all that much so perhaps I'm way off base. My current Infiniti G35 coupe as well as my two previous Lexus SC400's all had instrument lights that came on with the ignition. Maybe I'm just spoiled.
  • kman49kman49 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of that one, but I don't think that is problem with this one. The wheels and tires are new (3 weeks) and have never been in the mud. I've been dealing with this problem about 8 months now, 2 alignments, 15 rebalances, 3 times the tires have been off the rims. Any other suggestions would be most welcome. I do a lot of highway driving so even though this vibration is minor it is very frustrating when you drive hours at a time.
  • junepugjunepug Posts: 161
    Guess that is only on the high priced autos. I have owned Chevys, VWs, Fords, Jeeps and Toyotas and none of them worked in that manner. The panel lights only came on when the parking lights or brights were turned on.
  • Have you every heard of this?? I have a '03 Highlander that I love and have never had a serious problem with it. Yesterday we went out to go to work and my son got in to the car and shut the passenger door. When he did this the rear right window on the drivers side (not the passenger one but the one back by the cargo area) BLEW OUT. The night before the car had been washed and I dried the windows and know for a fact that there was no defect in the window. No little cracks or holes etc.
    It was not that hot because this happened at about 0800. We called Toyota and of course they said it wasn't covered by warrantee and we got the impression that they thought we were lying.
    Swear to God I have never seen such a thing. There was a big hole in the center of the window and all the glass was on the OUTSIDE of the car.
    Has this ever happened to anyone else or have you heard about it happening?
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    YAY! I had my 05 Highlander Limited in to the dealer for its 5,000 mile service today, and they were able to access the "internal computer" via "scan tool" and change the function where the RECIRC comes on virtually every time the car is started to make it so I can choose it on not!
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Two weeks ago we were on our way to central MT from Seattle and just east of Snoqualmie pass I thought someone had fired a shotgun into our passenger side rear door window.

BLAM!

Sounded like a cherry bomb went off inside the car.

Huge jagged hole in the window and all the rest "spider" webbed, totally fragmented.

I have since learned that it is not all that unusual an event.

Undetectable manufacturing defect leaves the glass under severe internal stress and eventually it just lets go.
  • Hi , can you elaborate on removing the panel from the bottom .... thanks, anthony
  • hmurphyhmurphy Posts: 278
    For me, the problem is with the "auto" lights setting. In auto mode, the lights (inside and out) don't come on nearly soon enough for my liking. Even on very gray, dreary days (of which we have many in Chicago), the lights won't come on and the instrumentation is difficult to see. Also, the lights don't come on in tunnels until I'm nearly out of them.

As a result, I typically just turn the lights on and leave them on. That's the only way I've found to get proper instrumentation lighting on gray days.

I wonder if the auto setting is adjustable, so I could have it turn the lights on a bit sooner than it normally would?
  • jbb123jbb123 Posts: 1
    I have a brand new HL limited with 2500 miles. So far great car, but has stalled while driving twice. Once at a red light, once while cruising at 35mph. Toyota service cannot find problem, says computer did not detect any faulty codes, fuel lines clear and all wiring tight. Anyone have ideas?
  • shl72953shl72953 Posts: 53
    Take it back to your dealer. He can adjust the head lights to come on quite a bit earlier. My dealer did it in about ten minutes and didn't charge for the service.
  • vitbuzzvitbuzz Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Highlander V6, AWD with 23,000 miles. The left turn lights often flash rapidly at a dimmer than normal light then will return to a more normal (slower and brighter) operation. The rapid flashing appears to be completely at random. Any ideas on what I can do to fix the problem? Thanks.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 469
    The reason for rapid flashing may be that the light in the rear of the car is burned out. That's been the case with cars I have owned, and once the problem was intermittent and took a while to confirm. I don't know from your post if the dashboard light is dimmer or the light in the rear of the car. If it's the latter you may need to take it in for service so they can look for a wiring problem or some other cause.
  • hmurphyhmurphy Posts: 278
    Thanks. I'm glad to know I can have that adjusted.