Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mmccloskeymmccloskey Posts: 168
    Greetings:

I have an '07 HH and recently changed my oil and reset the service minder. Not sure if its the same for the '04 but here are the steps: 1. Turn ignition key to 'LOCK' position w/the odometer reading shown. 2. Turn the ignition key to 'ON' position while holding down the trip meter reset knob. A msg 'MAINT REQD RESET MODE' will appear on the display. 3. Hold down the knob at least 5 seconds. A msg 'COMPLETE' will appear and a beep will sound.

Hope the above is of assistance in resetting your service minder.

Regards - M. J. McCloskey

P.S. to NOMOREBENZ - Thanks again for your guidance in accessing the compass feature within the Nav system in my HH. It couldn't have been easier!
  • wdr1wdr1 Posts: 2
    M. J.
    Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I'll give it a shot tonight! Appreciate your help.
  • mdchachimdchachi Posts: 275
    True, but then neither are dealers. :P
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    You got that right! :)
  • teamtboteamtbo Posts: 78
    Toyotagal, et. al.,
    Just curious if your HL has the shifting problem described here? I am thinking about buying a 2007 HL v6 AWD and am very interested...especially since I am buying this to replace my 2007 Camry XLE v6 because it was experiencing the shift flare even after a new transmission. Thanks!
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Posts: 215
    Absolutely no "shifting problems" with my 4 month old 07 Highlander to date. Shifts beautifully every time.
  • ohmygoshohmygosh Posts: 66
    I really love this SUV after 45,000 miles I only had one problem. The sunroof malfunctioned and the motor had to be replaced after 2 years, but it was under warranty. Now my car is in the shop for another problem. The automatic door locks wouldn't work and the engine light came on. I immediately took it in to the dealer as the manual suggested and was told they were getting '7' code system failures, which they said was a first. Say What !! Before they got to the problem they told me my extended warranty may not cover the problem that could be related to a mouse chewing the wires. Say What !!
    After they evaluated it they told me the power window master switch had shorted out, causing other problems in the electrical system. Fortunately my extended warranty covered it and a rental car.
    I haven't got the car back yet and I am still concerned. Can anyone tell me if they experienced similar problems with this vehicle ? Can it be related to the same problem I had with the roof ? Will I have to worry that this electrical problem will keep occuring ? Help !!!!
  • tixtix Posts: 27
    I have a 2004 Highlander and also had the sunroof malfunction, and although it was only a couple years old, I was out of warranty by 2,000 miles, so you are lucky that yours got fixed. They want to charge me $1,500. While still in warranty, my car had an issue with the anti lock brakes. For some reason it would not let me go over 12 mph. It was a difficult task getting it in to the dealer to be fixed (a lot of motorists were not very happy with my "slow pace"). I also had a heat shield fall off after having the car for just one month. So, I don't know what to tell you about your issues, other than to say I am not happy with Toyota and its unsatisfactory customer service. I will not buy another Toyota.
  • noel3noel3 Posts: 4
    2004 4 runner has same problem - toyota (local and national) "claims" that they have no service bulletins, notices, or anything on these - but i know they have had major problems. WHere can i get copies of their documentation of problems - i have 45K miles and want to prove the issue is chronic with their sunroof assembly
    thank - mnkraus@optonline.net
  • The gear off the sunroof is plastic and the cables are plastic. When the two gears mesh the cable moves and the sunroof opens. If the cable binds or strips the gear on the motor also strips. To repair the sunroof it takes anywere from 6 to 8 hours of labor depending on what needs to be done plus a full interior clean afterwards and the parts 2 cables,1 motor,and tracks. Seems like the price is ok to me. I would also note that the fact thay offered a bill split means the service manager toyota to get that approved so the dealer is working for you. Anyway it still sucks being so close to warranty good luck getting toyota to pay. I personaly think thay should covor it.
  • The 4 runner dose have big time sunroof issues but that are totaly unrelated to the highlander. In my personal experience I see 12 4 runner problems to 1 highlander sunroof problem.
    I do understand that it is a major hassle to fix the sunroof and that is why no one is willing to fix it for a reasonable price. It doesn't make sense to me that a sunroof, which you do not use all that often (at least I didn't) should break, just like that. I could understand the brakes, or door locks etc....but the sunroof!!! And, the fact that the "list price" option of having a sunroof is only $700, and they want to charge double to fix it does not make sense to me. It is sounding to me like more and more people are having issues with the sunroof and hopefully Toyota will rethink their position on warranty and repair. I too am interested in knowing where I can find the information about the number of complaints they have received concerning sunroofs----anyone know???
  • noel3noel3 Posts: 4
    i was able to get 04 4 runner sunroof closed, with the exception of the left rear corner sags just a bit. QUESTIONS: 1 - DOES THE 4 RUNNER HAVE A RAIN RUNOFF CHANNEL UNDER THE SUNROOF THAT WILL DRAIN SMALL AMOUNTS OF EXCESS WATER 2 - IS THERE A WAY TO TEMPORARILY GET THE SAGGING CORNER TO STAY UP? 3 - ANYBODY HAVE ACCESS TO THE TSB'S ON THIS ISSUE? THANKS A BUNCH
  • I have a 2001 Toyota Highlander,V6, 230,000 miles. I have had no problems except that the temperature contol knob has stopped working. I have either hot or cold and nothing in themiddle! Does anyone know how much it should cost (approx.) to repair the problem. I am told it is the whole panel that needs replacing. Thank you for your help.
  • Assuming your knob itself is working, it is probably the air blend door that is sticking so that it will not modulate the air. I wouldn't think this would be a big fix but nowadays almost anything is costly.
  • That's impressive and encouraging. My uncle has a 1999 Lexus RS300 SUV with 160k and running strong. I look forward to my 2003 with 72k to run for many more miles.
  • Thanks for supplying the correct terminology. I will see what Toyota has to say about the repair. I was told by my mechanic it was about $1000 to get the part and then who knows how much labor will cost. Thanks for the response. I love this car and hope to have it a while longer!
  • Hi,
    We have a 07 Highlander Sport with about 3000 miles on it now.
    I was really nervous about 'hesitation' issues after reading about them in the Highlander.
    I have noticed the tranny 'burps' sometimes, but only occasionally under hard acceleration or repeated downshifting (like going up many many miles of serious uphill). 2 times the tranny felt like it slipped when accelerating hard from a stop on a steep hill (driveway).
    Although it would be preferable that the minor 'burping' did not ever happen...I have not found it to be much of a problem for me personally. Nothing like what I have read about the Camry this year. The Highlander 'burps' are small and do not interfer with operation in traffic and have only happened a few times like I said.
    I would buy it again. We both love it. It is amazingly serene and smooth and luxerious feeling.
    We just got back from a very long trip to the ocean (6 hours each way) and it was the most enjoyable car trip I have even been on. The Highlander is just so comfy and serene to be in.
    The front passenger seat can be a bit uncomfortable feeling for some as the seat bottom is a bit short and you can feel like your being 'pushed' out of the seat, but I have found that if you sit a bit sideways or cross your legs like in a office chair the seat is very nice and soft.
    So, yes, we have had the few 'burps' but they have not been a problem for us.
    The honest truth.
    Overall the Highlander is a luxury feeling vehicle and I wish I got to drive it more as my husband has stolen it he loves it so much.
    I do reccommend the 'Sport' version as the 'reg' version has a lot of body roll for me.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    I just turned in my '03 HL FWD V6 lease for a '07 HL AWD V6. My 03 was the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned, not one issue in 4 years.

My '07, is just as nice but with one issue. It seems to be constantly up shifting and down shifting, very annoying. I don't know if it's because the '07 has a 5 speed vs the '03 4 speed tranny or it's a problem as I have been reading here. I don't notice it all the time but usually driving in traffic at low speeds around 30mph. The tranny doesn't seem to know where to go. I used to like to turn off the OD driving that speed so it was easier to drive at slow speeds but the '07 doesn't seem to work the same when the OD is turned off. Maybe I just have to learn to drive differently with the new trans. I'm going to raise the issue when I take it in for the first oil change.
  • gasman1gasman1 Posts: 321
    Several people found a broken or shorted wire to be the culpret. You may want to review this link: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/highlander/32217-heater-quit-sort-of/
    When they tried to close my sunroof they said they could not get it any "more closed" with out taking it all apart - meaning fixing the motor and cables and there fore charging me $1500. The only suggestion I have is to use duct tape to keep the rain out. It seems to work for me, although I have to replace it every once in a while, but where I live there is not too much rain or snow. It does whistle, but not too bad. With all these posts about jammed sunroofs, I am really beginning to wonder if maybe there is an issue here that Toyota is GOING to HAVE TO ADDRESS!
  • I've got a 2001 3.0 with 2wd and 55K miles, and have also discovered how high speeds burn oil. I'm out of warranty at this point. A 300-350 miles round trip to Boston or to NYC from Albany is a 2 qt trip @ 70-75 MPH.
  • No wonder I get confused. Your replying to a post that is well over two years old!
  • Thank you so much. I trust my car repair guys and will show them this info. I hope my problem is as easy as you say.
  • I appreciate all your help, I don't really know the first thing about car repairs. This may be a silly question but do car mechanics make such easy repairs or will they tell me I need the entire $1000 part? Would Toyota take the time to solder the wires? Boy...I think I'm going to take an auto repair class!
  • Just turned 30,000 on my 03 V6 2WD Highlander. I have the red coolant in the radiator. Should I change the fluid now and if yes please advise the best way to do the job. Thank you very much.
  • I have had the same problem except it is on a 2007 Highlander with 6 speaker JBL system. From what I can tell it is tied to cell phones switching towers. I have sat in the Toyota service parking lot and can get it to make the distortion but only once. I have called from another location and when the cell phone switches towers it will happen again. I have had it in six times and very frustrated they can not duplicate and therefore will not address the problem. They did change out the right rear speaker but that did not fix the problem. Keep me posted if you hear of anyone else. They claim I am the first to report the issue but I see that is not correct.
  • 2005 highlander v6

here's a link to the alignment sheet specs:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/draganplavsic/Alignment">link title

When I brought it in I needed an alignment because the steering wheel was off slightly to the right when driving down a straight road. Now when the dealer did an alignment the steering wheel is off slightly to the left. I changed all 4 tires a few months so I don't know if the tires have any impact on this or not but they are brand new. While at the dealer today I also had them rotate all 4 tires. What should my next step be? I would hate to keep going back to the dealer.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Have you told anyone that the stearing wheel being a bit off-center bothers you? The stearing wheel "position" in reality has absolutely NOTHING to do with proper alignment of the vehicle wheels, front and/or rear.

My stearing wheel is ALWAYS off-center so that I can easily drive straight ahead, wheel-spoke in a "proper position, while resting my elbow on the door armrest.

If you really wish the stearing wheel to be "exactly" centered going straight down the road that is very easy for the mechanic to accomplish by lengthening one tie rod while shortening the other.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Can anyone comment on the best manuals for just basic maintenance? How are Haynes and Chiltons for Toyotas? I didn't care for them for Hondas and picked up an official shop manual on helminc.com but they don't have Toyotas.