Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mdchachimdchachi Posts: 275
    What do you mean by "navigation error points the opposite way"? Did you mean "arrow"? You can toggle whether the nav map is always oriented with up towards north or with up towards the direction the vehicle is facing by pressing the compass button in the upper left corner. Perhaps that is what you meant? BTW, there is a forum dedicated to navigation systems so if you need navigation answers, that is another place you can try.
  • amitra123amitra123 Posts: 7
    Hi:
    Could anyone please provide me a link of maintenance manual for highlander 1004 that would be great. My plan is to replace the cabin pollen filter. I have no clue where it is, and how to replace. Th dealership is asking for $50, whereas a filter costs $12 in ebay. Please help.

Also for changing engine oil, is there any washer for the engine oil pan drain nut, I need to replace??

Thanks
    Mitra
  • Mitra, you will find the cabin air filter behind the glove box. On my 2002, the instructions for checking and replacing it is in the Owner's Manual on page 259. I would think that your 2004 info would be in the same vicinity. Incidentally, you do not have to replace the filter. Just brush it good and then wash it in soap and water. After 4 washings, my filter still looks good! Living in Arizona requires cleaning it at least twice a year. Good luck!!
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    " Incidentally, you do not have to replace the filter. Just brush it good and then wash it in soap and water "

Would you know if Honda's a/c filter is the same? The filter's go for about $30 at the dealer and on my CRV, it's a royal pain to change. I have to take out the glove box, frame, and a few parts of the dash to get to it.
  • landdriverlanddriver Posts: 607
    You don't need to replace the oil drain plug washer when changing the oil.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    I would respectfully disagree with that. It's a paper washer and once oil gets on it, it doesn't seat as well. I think they run about $.50 at the parts department. Well worth it to not see oil spots on the driveway. Its something I've changed with every one of my toyota's in over 10yrs of driving them. You can try not, but again, I would not recommend it.

Toyota Ken
  • highlhighl Posts: 28
    I recently purchased FWD V6 Toyota HL and have put on more than 2K miles. Vehicle is doing gr8. I didn't get the Navigation System when I bought the vehicle. Now I feel I really need this accessory. What are my options? Has anyone installed NS afterwards? Which brand/prodcut is good? Please suggest.

TIA
    Pash
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    " Now I feel I really need this accessory "

I'm just curious, why do you feel you really need this? IMHO, a NAV system isn't worth it.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    There are a couple of forums focused soley on NAV systems, both factory and aftermarket in the forums. If you do a search, they would probably be veryhelpful.

Hope this helps.

Toyota Ken
  • rugby65rugby65 Posts: 81
    I have never seen a paper washer on a drain plug and I have changed oil in every vehicle I've owned. currently I own a 2003 V6 HL with 23000 miles and it has a metal washer..I also stand in front of my of HL and remove the oil filter very carefully not to let it tip up side down so as not to spill hardly any oil.
    I use a K&N filter that has a fitting that uses a socket, very easy to remove and another thing I like about the HL you don't have to jack it up to get under it.
  • johnc20johnc20 Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Highlander with Homelink. My driver visor is not staying up. Any suggestions? I started to take the visor off but then I saw the wires for the homelink and I stopped taking it apart. I would think I would just need to tighten something. Any suggestions for the mechanically challenged?
  • spencer327spencer327 Posts: 106
    I have a 04 HL with the NAV. I didnt really want it but had a car coming off lease and it was the only available HL. I love it, I am hooked and will have it on my next vehicle.Its at its most useful, in finding places on local streets, punch in phone #s
    addresses etc. Great in a strange town. It has taken me off expwys and brought me right to hotel parking lots. Dont buy it for expwy travel, limited value, til your stuck in traffic and looking for alternate routes.Garmin makes some very nice portable units, the biggest factor with these is how much detail available, how large an area is covered, and must you constantly update your area.Also sceen size is limited.I recommend factory install, but dont think you can do it after market.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    Hey rugby65, you gotta get out more. :-) I have had several cars with the "paper" washers. I changed my oil in a '90 Celica for 10 years and bought the washers from Toyota. They are not really paper but a hard compressed cardboard. IMO, they seat better than the metal ones but should be changed each time. The cost is negligible. My current Jaguar also has the cardboard washer. I might have to try the K&N filter that has the socket fitting. I currently have a K&N air filter in my '04 Highlander.
  • highlhighl Posts: 28
    Thanks for thoughtful insights. Though, I do travelling mostly on expy but I do want to add some flexibility to my travel plans. I tried working with AAA maps, found it difficult to work with especially in nights and off-city driving. I will search for Garmin brand. I guess I've seen it in COSTCO.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    I just came back from the Toyota dealer, where I bought an oil filter and washer. The washer is made of aluminum. Did they give me the right one? Mine's a '02 2.4L.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    I'm sure you got the right one. I have had Toyota dealers that tape the metal washer to each box with a filter in it so you buy it automatically which is good. Other times, I have purchased a small bag and they were the cardboard ones. Since I live in the Midwest part of the year and California or Arizona the rest, I probably see more variety.
  • rugby65rugby65 Posts: 81
    :P "oil drain plug: The large bolt or plug that secures the drain hole in the oil pan. It is fitted with a gasket or o-ring to prevent leakage. Often the drain plug is magnetized so that any stray particles of iron will stick to it rather than lodge in some vital orifice. Also called "sump drain plug"
  • mdchachimdchachi Posts: 275
    > I'm just curious, why do you feel you really need this? IMHO, a NAV system isn't worth it.

I would have thought the same until I happened to get one in a 04 HL we bought used. Now I feel almost naked without it. No more investigating/printing out routes on the Internet. No more asking my (AAA member) mother to get me maps before I go on a road trip. It's been great. Even locally I use it to determine the best route to go somewhere or to navigate around construction or other obstacles.
    Check out the Garmin 2610 great features,$600 to $700 price
    Stacks up against OEMs, really full featured, The only draw back is screen size.
    Garmin makes slightly larger sreens C320 but compromises on features..
    Try it, you'll like it.