Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    You nailed it landdriver. :-)
  • sus2sus2 Posts: 2
    Has anyone ever taken there Highlander to Jiffy Lube and shortly afterwards the check engine light comes on?
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    I've read here that there is a tubing the gets removed from its fitting when they check the air filter, that sometimes doesn't get replaced back properly, causing the check engine light to come on.
  • phrosutphrosut Posts: 122
    I haven't, but from posts I've seen here the first thing I'd check is all the vacuum hoses on the air cleaner. Apparently when it's opened to check the filter, there's a hose that comes off causing the check engine light to come on. Of course, if they didn't check your air filter..... then "never mind".

Phil
  • sus2sus2 Posts: 2
    Well, he had the filter in hi hands so thats a good place to check. thx.
  • loucapriloucapri Posts: 214
    sound like Jiffy Lube is not the place that I am going to take my car to.
    I remember my wife usee to take her car over there and a regular oil change turned to some other jobs. She ended up paying close to $100 without knowing what had been done.

I always take my camry and HL to toyota dealer, $40.00 with syn. oil (5000 mile/ 4month) and a FREE car wash coupon from the car wash across the street
  • edhedh Posts: 246
    I had the dealer order the parts specifiedby the TSB to fix the window wind noise (when windows are all the way up you get wind noise, lower them 1/8 inch and noise stops but door glass rattles).

they installed the parts today, drivers side is better but passenger front window noise still goes away when you bump the window down.
    Must be a window design problem- the "fix" did not work on the passenger side
  • jhornjhorn Posts: 18
    Mine is a 2003 non-limited HL and also has the same problem. I took it to a dealer, and they replaced the door panels. The passenger side is better, but the driver side is the same as before they fixed it. I noticed that when I had the window all the way up, the glass pushed against the outside weather strip, lifting it up a bit, causing the noise. This may be the glass window faulty design. I took it back to the dealer and pointed it out. They said that they are waiting for an approval to replace the glass windows.

Hope this helps.

John
    the window pushes the weather strip out when fully up.
    the tsb was to fix that by putting in new design weatherstrip.

do you think the glass is shaped wrong?

let us know? thanks

mine is 04 non limited
    Hi all. I have an '05 Limited, with the JBL six disc changer... "type 2" as referenced on page 179 of the owner's manual. The radio portion has the ability to display the call letters and song info being broadcast...refered to as RDS, TEXT and MSG. The question: is it normal to have to press the TEXT button several times to get all the info? And it doesn't stay on the display more than a few seconds. I'd like for it to come on, and stay on, so new info is displayed as each new song is broadcast.

The manual states on page 184 that the message display will be cancelled if any button that affects the display is pushed .

My bro-in-law just got a Chevy Colorado as a company car, and his radio can continue to display this info without any button pushing....seems a much better system to me.

Anyone figure out if i am doing something wrong, or if mine is not working properly, poor design, or???

thanks!

Jeff
  • lgjavalgjava Posts: 48
    Maybe it's not the position of the weatherstrip but rather the material it's made of. The weather stripping on my two back doors looks perforated and degraded after about two years. The rubber might be too weak or fragile to prevent road noise.
    I just had mine replaced and rubber is new- part was made in feb of 05.
    I still get wind noise when window is all the way up. noise goes away when window is lowered 1/8 inch
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 469
    I don't have the fancy radio in my Highlander, but we have an '03 Matrix where the "info" stays on as you describe in your brother-in-law's Chevy.
    Thanks for the info. I believe the 03 Matrix uses the GM radio, which might be the same as the Chevy. I think Toyota switched to the Toyota sourced radio in the 05 matrix.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 469
    Now that you mention it, I think you are right about the GM radio on the '03.
  • hawkeye70hawkeye70 Posts: 43
    I have a '01 6 cyl HL with 44k miles. Yesterday afternoon I drove it about 8 miles and parked it for about 1 1/2 hours. When I returned to start it, it would start and immediately stop. I could only keep the engine running if I held the throttle open. So I was able to get home by keeping my foot on the gas and braking with my left foot. This morning it started and ran fine for a 15 minute drive to the store. When I came out and restarted it, the same problem occurred.

To me, it sounds like an electrical device controlling the idle speed is heating up when the engine is stopped and will not work upon restart. Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior from their HL? Or have any ideas on what could be the problem? It's been a very trouble-free car up to this point. Thanks.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Idle airflow bypass solenoid is not opening properly when heated.
  • eisraeleisrael Posts: 2
    Hello Hawkeye, I too have a 2001 Highlander and this problem of stalling upon a hot restart. It has been going on for 2 weeks now. Once I start it warm after having driven it for a bit the idle is way low and almost at the point of stalling. Usually if I tap on the gas pedal 2-3 times it will act normal and stay that way. You said that the Idle airflow bypass solenoid is not opening properly when heated. You must be a Toyota mechanic? I was a mechanic for 13 years from 1980 -1993 and this problem is over my head. Can I remove this solenoid and clean it out or something or should I just drive to my dealer and buy this piece and replace it? Your reply would be greatly appreciated. Eric
  • eisraeleisrael Posts: 2
    Hello, Did you replace the Idle airflow bypass solenoid? Did it fix your problem? Thanks
  • loucapriloucapri Posts: 214
    I have the same problem in my 97 Camry but like the other mentioned, once I press on the gas and keep it there for a while, all the sudden, the idle will go back up and car runs fine.

It only happened when it's very sunny and warm.

If you can explan a little more about what the Idle airflow bypass solenoid is or how difficult it is for a regular guy to replace it, that will be great.