Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• iclarkiclark Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem with my 2005 Highlander. There is a subtle but becoming increasingly loud ,clunk in the steering wheel. I had it checked by the dealer and they advised that there was a TSB on the Camry but nothing for the Highlander and no recalls. I confirmed this by calling Toyota who were quite firm that it was up to me to pay the $550 to have this fixed "if I chose".

The car has been excellent until this year when all four brake rotors needed replacing - rust they said.
  • bluenose2bluenose2 Posts: 12
    You mentioned having to replace all four brake rotors. I just had to replace the rear pads and rotors on my 2006 HL, at only 70,000 km (43,500 miles). My front rotors were badly rusted but they were able to clean them up. Why would rear pads wear out so fast?
  • iclarkiclark Posts: 2
    Bluenose, the dealer advised me that they saw this rusty rotor problem on cars that spend a lot of time at the local ski hill. I am a little guilty on that score but also do a lot of winter driving in the mountains here in BC. The car has 80K km (48K miles) on it. Still these two bills (rotors and steering) come as somewhat of a surprise given Toyota's (over hyped?) reputation.

PS I am a bluenoser as well.
    Hi fellow Bluenoser,

Well it is a little reassuring to hear that I am not alone in having this problem, but disappointing nonetheless that Toyota's quality reputation is diminished by this problem, the only one I have had other than the mysterious rattle I hear when backing into my garage. Another person commented on that problem recently. I keep my Highlander garaged, but it certainly does get exposed to salt on the roads in winter. When I leave it outside at the Airport Parkn'Fly for a week or two when I am travelling, the pads are rusted right to the rotors and the vehicle will not move until you give it a lot of gas.
  • After going to the Toyota dealer for a diagnostics on why the ABS-Brakes came on, and my car was braking after passing 15 miles/hr, they diagnosed that I needed to change the ABS pump for a 2500 dlls cost only. So my doubt is... Which year & model is compatible with my 04 Highlander 2WD 3.3L, because I definitely will try to avoid the original cost and get a used one. Does anyone know which model pump module is compatible.
  • tixtix Posts: 27
    The mysterious rattle could be the heat shield.
    I had the same thing happen to me on my 2004 2 WD, but fortunately it happened under warranty. Sounds like I was lucky considering how expensive it will be to fix.
    Have you had any problems with your sun/moon roof?
    OK, thanks. Will check that out.
  • jrfierojrfiero Posts: 123
    I'm starting to get the telltale knocking on turning that indicates a failing CV joint on my 2001 4wd V6 Ltd w ~79,000 miles.
    Has anyone had to replace CV joints?
  • lttownielttownie Posts: 1
    2001 Highlander basic model. I experience an intermittent squeaky high pitched noise. This noise can start or stop when hitting a bump in the road. The sound also stops when I am at a complete stop and starts again once I apply the gas peddle.

Any thoughts to this problem?
  • Fan belt? How many miles on the belt? You should replace around 90/100k. I just replaced mine on my 03 at 89k.
  • woodstocwoodstoc Posts: 6
    Any advice on how to get the connector apart on the Bank 1? I can only get one hand up or down there and haven't quite figured out how it comes apart. Some trick or tool necessary? :confuse:
    See message 4360, which includes comments on needing two people to get that connector apart.
  • gplantegplante Posts: 1
    When I start my 2001 Highlander (cold) the idle speed goes to about 1500 and stays there. What can I do to fix the problem? I'm pretty mechanical.
  • webgoodwebgood Posts: 95
    If it doesn't start dropping steadily while warming-up, you'll need to have a tech (Toyota service or a knowledgeable, properly equipped foreign make service) adjust the cold idle speed. There's no little throttle linkage adjusting screws like on your '65 4-barrel V8. It's all electronics now. Regards, BGood
    See message 4391 re Idle Speed Control Valve. My problem was high warm idle on a V6, and it had just started getting an erratic cold idle.
  • Car has not been starting consistently. Tow truck comes out, starts for driver. Last time out noticed the air filter housing was detached and clips missing. I have it assembled and temporary clips on but the four small tubes were removed (not by me but by the driver). I am looking for a picture or other guidance as to which tube goes where. Any suggestions? Help?
  • steves8steves8 Posts: 11
    I read the messages on this site about sunroof repair costs and thought the world was ending. My '05 66k miles developed a broken sunroof after it had been slid all the way back. It would move forward a inch then automatically return to full open position. Local garage (a great place) estimated $1500 to repair. Most of that cost was headliner removal. They also said call the dealer to see what they say. Dealer said for $110 we will look at it, we can't say anything more, bring it in. I asked if they could just close it, and, what could the max cost be? They wouldn't answer. So, I asked the local guy to fix it, they then said they wouldn't do it and referred me to Custom Upholstery and Glass. I took it there and they closed the roof (perfect fit) within 20 minutes and charged me $20! Ha! the local garage charged me $50 just for their estimate. Custom also said I should try to find used cables (they showed me chewed up broken cable from my car) and they would charge $100 to install them, good as new. Shop around, my friends. Custom quoted me $1900 cost for all new parts, from the dealer.
    You are a lucky person. Anyone I took it to, and I have friends who work for repair shops said they would not touch it! But I just may try the upholstery place. Its been how many years now? and I am still driving around with a duct taped sunroof and when ever anyone asks how I like my highlander I am not afraid to tell them - not very much (but it is really just because of the sunroof, but that was enough to turn me off Toyota. I will never buy another one. I have to drive this one into the ground because who will buy a used car with a duct taped sunroof......
    Thanks for sharing your solution. Its worth a try...
  • Hey y'all, just brought home my 09 HL Limited, V6. Traded in an 07 Camry so I know about where the oil filter should be. What plastic do I have to remove to find it on the HL. Thanks.
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Posts: 215
    I am having the darndest time getting the straps hanging from near the ceiling inside the tailgate to stay attached to the bottom. It seems that everytime I touch them or hit a bump one of them will pop loose. I can reattach them but it is just temporary.

I have never used those straps nor can I forsee using them.
    You didn't mention what year HL you have. On my '04, down inside that slot is a plastic hook facing down. I took a heavy duty rubber band, looped it down in there until it got around the hook, then several times looped it around the top of the buckle while an able assistant held the buckle close to the slot. Pushed it down in...it's stayed for months and no rattle or pop-up.
    Regards, BGood
    I have a 2007 Highlander. And I have never used those straps and don't have a clue as to what they would be used for. I just want them to stop popping loose for little reason.

Curious what do you and others use those straps for?
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,652
    G'day

The straps are the seat belts for the third row seats. They have two seat belt buckle type connectors on them. When the third row seat is raised, you plug the buckle at the end of the strap in to holder at the outer end of the seat and then use the second buckle normally as a seat belt. However the plastic receptacle into which they are supposed to clip when not using the third row seats does not hold them secure. I just let them flip around but if the buckle is laying in a position where it rubs against other hard components, they rattle. Judicious use of a rubber band around them seems to work.

Cheers

Graham
    It is no wonder that I didn't know what those straps were for. There are no 3rd row seats in my Highlander. And it is sad that they install them irrespective of whether you have 3rd row seats or not.

To me they are distracting when looking into the rear view mirror and also flapping in the breeze when wiindows are open.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,652
    G'day

That is weird. I have never known a car manufacturer to install something as expensive as seat belts if they do not need to. The third row seats are normally folded flat and form the load floor. If you slide the second row forward you can see the head rests for the third row and the release has a handle in the middle of the floor. If there is no third row, the third row seat area is replaced by a storage area.

Cheers

Graham
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    If your Highlander doesn't have 3rd row seats, then the 3rd row belts shouldn't be there. My 2004 Highlander doesn't have the 3rd row seat or the belts. If your Highlander was bought used, the previous owner may have taken out the 3rd row seats, as some had no use for them.
  • rpell1rpell1 Posts: 4
    Hi all,

My 2003 HL 4cyl. 4wd. heater control is not doing it's job. Intermittantly, no matter where the dial is placed, HOT air is coming out.. :mad: ...This also happens, sometimes, when the A/C is on as well. After a minute or so of playing with the dial and fan settings, I can get things back to normal....but not always.

Any ideas where the gremlin is? This whole thing is "heating me up"! ;)

Thanks,
    rpell...short answer, check-out the Toyota Heating Ventilation and Air thread. Your answer is there. But, shorter answer...grab the center turn knob of the 3 on the HVAC controls, pull straight out, it comes right off, tighten the locking nut on the control post, push the knob back on,done. Regards, BGood
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Well said, just one update. Before pulling the center turn knob out, wiggle it. If there is lots of play, then this is the problem and continue as directed in the previous post.