Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

1168169170171172174»

Comments

• grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,604
    G'day

80K miles in 11 years is low mileage, so I wonder whether you often get the chance to get the whole exhaust system up to full operating temperature, If not, maybe there is some coking up of the exhaust/catalyst.

It might be worth using a top engine cleaner and running the engine hard for a bit, then trying a few tanks full of 98 Octane with a detergent to see if that clers things out.

Cheers

Graham
  • I did the soldering fix and now the Heat/Cold problem is gone. But I have a related problem - only windshield vent is working. The lights on the radio and AC Button is not working. I have checked all the fuses - inside and outside, all is fine. Anybody know what the issue could be?

Thank you!
  • One clue was a slight vibration on the steering wheel when turning the wheel. The power steering reservoir was dry but I couldn't tell because there was dried, black residue on the walls of the reservoir. I removed the lower hose to the PS reservoir and used a hand pump to get as much of the dirty fluid out as possible. Reconnected the hose and filled the reservoir with Dextron 3 AT fluid. Fluid was foamy and still a little dirty so I used the pump in the reservoir to pull out more fluid and replace it with fresh fluid. I repeated this several times. The whining noise is gone. Hopefully, I didn't do any permanent damage to the PS pump letting the fluid go low but seems to be fixed for now.
  • Hi All,

I have a 2004 Highlander with a front driver's side fender that was "repaired" using bondo many years ago. Lately I've been thinking about either purchasing an aftermarket one or picking up at the salvage yard to give it a proper replacement.

Can anyone point me towards instructions on how to replace the fender? A few videos on youtube make it look as if I'll have to remove among other things, the grill, bumper, and wheel. But those videos are all for other types of cars.

Obviously, I'd like it keep this job as simple as possible for the sake of minimizing the possibility of causing any accidental damage, including breaking any plastic clips.

I know the bodyshop would charge probably around $1k for this, so I'd like to tackle it myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction to any resources/instructions, online or otherwise?

Thanks.
  • gaseff54gaseff54 Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Hi Folks: I have a crack in my driver's side tail lamp. How do I remove it? I don't see any obvious screws.

Thanks in advance!
    -George
  • just bought my first toyota. so far i love it. couple small things im getting worked out with the dealer, but nothing major. one question I have about the highlander sunroof though, if open, should it stop in the closed position before going to the tilted vent position/going from tilted vent position to the open position, should it stop in the closed position first between the two? my other vehicles I have had had sunroofs, and they all would stop in the closed position, so you knew it was basically in a tight, closed spot. with this, im left kind of guessing when it's closed, unless im doing something wrong?
    any hlep would be much appreciated!
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 548
    The Highlander sunroof can be frustrating. You must normalize the operation. It is in the owner's manual. I had to do this a few times with our 04 Highlander.
  • great, thanks for the response! i'll give it a try
  • Hello Folks, Need help…. Sham mechanic installed and messed up my 2008 Toyota highlander water pump. Took to dealership to check when coolant seemed low: Here is what the dealership is saying. Found drive belt soaked and coolant leaking from missing bolt. Also found 2 other aftermarket bolts in where water pump bolts into timing cover that are stripped out. The technician found that an attempt by other repair facility was made to repair one of the bolts by using tape. Three threads are now damaged. Correction is to replace timing cover. The total would be 3100.00 Is this the only options for securing three bolts on a water pump? The price seems to be quite high. Analysis and suggested solution please.

• herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 470
    edited December 2013

A/C light (manual system) in my 2004 4-cylinder Highlander started flashing two times on the drive back from Evansville to Bloomington. Has anyone else had this happen? Each time I was able to push the button to turn it off, and then I could turn A/C on and off as normal. The owner's manual says on page 242: "If the 'A/C' button indicator flashes, there is a problem in the air conditioning system and the air conditioning automatically shuts off. If this happens, take your vehicle to a Toyota dealer for service." This was a 120-mile trip entirely in heavy rain. The directional knob was set to half defog, half floor. So the heated air was coming through the A/C. I'll call the dealer on Monday next week, but I'd like to know in advance what the issue might be.

Thanks. I tried to search the forum but I wasn't able to narrow it down to Highlander with the new format.

• steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,529
    edited December 2013

@herzogtum71 , this post may help.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,621

If you click on "Forums" at the top left of this page (or any page), that will take you to the forums home page, and there are make/model buttons, to get you to all the discussions for your make/model.

kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 470
    edited December 2013

Thanks, Stever. That's the same issue exactly. I hope it's an easy fix that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Regarding searching, I couldn't figure out yesterday how to search within "Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair" as I had done in the old format. Today I discovered that you do this via the magnifyig glass to the right of the discussion's page numbers.

• steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,529
    edited December 2013

Exactly right, I should have mentioned that. :(

The magnifying glass shows up in a lot of places so you aren't just limited to searching this discussion.

And if you go to the Forum link at the top left of the page, there's a search box with a down arrow in it. Clicking the down arrow lets you search by post title, date, author, etc.

Good luck with the fix!

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• electricdesignelectricdesign Posts: 680

The key here is "HEAVY RAIN". If the belt gets wet, like if you drive through a puddle, or water splashes up on the belt somehow, the belt can slip, which can make the light flash. My 2004 does it once in a while, no problem for me because I know what it is. I just reset it. If it happens often, you need to get a new serpentine belt put on. E.D. in Sunny Florida

• electricdesignelectricdesign Posts: 680

lennon2 The threads in the timing cover are easily fixed by using a heli-coil repair kit. It amazes me how they try to screw you over with such simple stuff! This is one of the most basic of all mechanical things that every mechanic knows. E.D. in Sunny Florida