Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• We bought a 2006 Highlander about three months ago. Now that the weather has turned and it rains, I've noticed on all four doors that when I open them, rain from the exterior, above the door, falls into the car. I'm not just talking a few drops. The exterior sides of all the seats get soaked. I wanted to know if anyone else has this problem, which means it's just a bad design, or whether it was just my car. I'm not too impressed because here in SC, during the summer it rains almost every day at 3pm for 30 minutes, exactly the time I'm picking up my children.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    I had my '04 Highlander (same body as yours) for three years and it never had a problem such as you describe. Much of its time was spent in Iowa where it rains a lot too.
  • We have a 2004, and my kids have complained about water from above the doors dripping onto the seats when the doors are opened in the rain. So I think there is a design element at play here. But we are talking drips onto the seating surface of the seats on the edge nearest the door, and it sounds like you are talking torrents. It may be the same problem if you keep the doors open for a long time to buckle kids into car seats.
  • pamc1pamc1 Posts: 3
    hCheck out my posting on this site, #3755. I had enough water in my 2006 highlander to get under the back seat and short out the hybrid batteries. I too noticed water dripping from the door weather stripping, when the doors were open and also in the front when the doors were closed. The weather stripping on the driver's door fell all the way off one day. I guess the back was leaking also, since there was water under the back seat. Check under your carpets.I had no visible signs that this was happening, until the battery shorted out. I think it's a manufacturing defect; although some on this site say the weather stripping on the back hatch was just installed improperly.
  • gencongencon Posts: 5
    My 06 v6 highlander has same problem for the distant siren
    noise in the 1st day of purchase. When approaching slow speed to full stop, it makes the siren noise. Now is getting
    down after 3000miles. Noticed in wet road and raining days the noise is gone, but come back in sunny day. I will it on service this Sat. The noise comes from front wheels.

Thanks for good information, I will address Toyota service tech the same.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    I also have a whining noise in my 04 4 cyl HL and it sounds like it's coming from near the passenger seat. It sounds like, "you're driving too fast" or "why don't you ask directions". Sometimes the whine is worse than at other times......:grins:......
  • gencongencon Posts: 5
    Went to Toyata dealer, who adv it is normal transmission nosie. It did come down a bit lately.. and noise is much less but still there. No fix was done.
  • I have an '04 6 cyl Highlander that very infrequently (meaning I experience this only a couple times a year on 1 hour + trips of speeds over 50mph) "chugs" I've had it happen in the winter (condensation in the gas?) and in the summer. The engine seems to bog and the car was almost jerking the first, and most "violent", time it happened. Any experiences with this or suggestions on what the mechanic should look for? Thanks!
  • Jeff,

Can you tell me what eventally happened with the 05 Highlander. I am experiencing that same problem right now. Toyota has told me that there is nothing wrong with it and that it is how the transmission is. (It is with the dealership right now)

Thanks!
  • My clock, when set to auto in my NAV system, doesn't seem to recognize I am on daylight savings time and adjust properly. I have the correct date set. I can set the time correct manually, but when I change the settings to Auto in the NAV system, the time changes back.
    I got my Highlander in Aug, and I believe is has the 5.1 CD.

How does the clock/NAV system, tell if I should be on DST and adjust when we go off it?
    Is it on the NAV CD, or somewhere else?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    desertfox1...

Your "name" implies that you just might live in AZ, or nearby, or even travel to and fro, and so the system keeps you on AZ's non-daylight saving time.

Or maybe the 5.1 DVD has the wrong DST AZ state line.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Taken from Camry woes:

'...When I already have my into the throttle (maybe 1/8??).."

Full light-throttle doesn't really fully describe the circumstances wherein a downshift delay seemingly occurs.

On FULL lift throttle followed quickly by a need to accelerate moderately or rapidly....and assuming a lower gear ratio at the onset:

The engine RPM will drop to idle as the engine/transaxle ECU commands an upshift.

Now suppose you quickly re-apply pressure to the gas pedal having been in the FULL lift-throttle "state" for just long enough for the upshift command to have been issued.

The engine being at idle results in a very low pumping rate of the fixed displacement ATF pump so once the currently in-process upshift is completed the "reserve" ATF pressure supply will have been exhausted.

So now the succeeding downshift command cannot be issued until enough time has expired for the ATF pump to have replenished ATF pressure, enough to fully and firmly seat the downshift clutches which are without doubt about to be asked to endure, sustain, a fairly high level of engine torque, once the DBW is allowed to open the throttle.

Obviously there are other sequences that might result in this same senario. Say cruising with a light, 1/8 gas pedal position, and an absolutely "normal" upshift has just begun. The DBW system drops the engine RPM to idle to more seemlessly and smoothly accomodate the upshift, but now you put your foot into it a large bit more.

Two shift sequences, an upshift followed quickly by a downshift, with the gas pedal lightly applied at "entry".

And keep in mind that with DBW the gas pedal position will not necessarily be indicative of the throttling opening. There is a bit of confusion about this for vehicles with CVT, Continuously Variable Transmissions, especially so with the wildly different, unique, CVT in many of the new hybrid drive vehicles.

With a CVT any position of the gas pedal that indicates a desire by the driver to accelerate might result in WOT engine operation. If the CVT can accomodate the "gear" ratios involved given the current roadspeed and engine RPM WOT will result in eliminating pumping losses due to throttle valve flow restrictions and thereby the most optimal FE. Keep in mind that WOT means climbing most rapidly to maximum engine RPM, not continuously operating there.
  • My check engine light came on on my 2002 Highlander. Diagnostics showed problems with evap emmissions. Had complete new unit installed at a cost of $700.00 (because Toyota doesn't sell the pressure sensor sep.) only to find 3 weeks later the check engine light is coming on again. Has this happened to anyone?
  • daskdask Posts: 1
    Hello All,
    I have a v6 highlander(2004)....works great(only 6000 miles) but suddenly I noticed that the A/C button light is blinking whenever I turn on the A/C.What could be the problem my car is still under warranty, is this something serious.
    Please advise ASAP.
    Rregards
    ~dask
  • hi,

i purchased my highlander last year brand new and I currently have 17,000 miles on it. my front brakes are starting to squeal when they are wet, but they sound fine when they are dry. they squeal only if it has been not driven for a few hours, but when i am driving around town in stop and go traffic the brakes sound just fine. i drive to work and back and use the highlander for some sporadic around of town driving. do the brakes need to be changed or is this normal?
  • Sorry - the name only implies on my golf trips to AZ that I spend more time in the desert than Rummel.

I live in IND. My question is really - what causes the time to change when daylight savings time changes? Is it in the Nav CD or somewhere else?
  • Are you in the part of Indiana that used to stay on EST year round but now observes DST?
  • You adjust the DST manually. The Auto mode picks up the Standard time off of the GPS sats via the Nav. My other car does the same thing.
  • garywigarywi Posts: 54
    I just bought a 2007 Sport V6 2WD. I am feeling very pronounced engine vibration in the steering wheel. I was a little shocked for a $31K vehicle.

It happens through slow accelaration from a stop.

I drove a bunch of Highlanders and did not notice this issue. I did not drive my car before I bought it, as I decided on the car, and then just picked the color.

Have you had this issue?

Thanks

GAry
  • garywigarywi Posts: 54
    I have just read every post on the steering wheel transmitting vibration from the engine compartment (not tire related). I have not been able to read about anyone that got a dealer to fix the problem. Is this true?