Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• garywigarywi Posts: 54
    Tom, I took the car in today. The dealer said there is nothing wrong with it. I filed a complaint on NHTS web site. I have an appt on 1/04/07 with the Regional Toyota Technical Representative. I also have my application for arbitration filled out. This transmission is not safe.
  • tomdtomd Posts: 87
    Gary,

Did they hear/feel the vibration at ~1850 RPM? How about the resonance when idling? I still don't get why the engine should be so much louder than the previous generation Camry with the same engine.

BTW, when my car is fully warmed up, the temp guage needle is a little shy of the 3:00 position. It's just a hair above the next tick mark down. However, when warming up, it spends quite a long time below that tick mark, about half way between that tick mark and the next lower one. I don't know if this is normal but even on 60 degree days, it is like this. Seems awfully long to fully warm up. I wonder if the thermostat is opening too soon. I hesitate to mention this to them because I'd rather not have them tinkering around if there is no problem. Can you comment?

Thanks
    Tom, No, it was the usual dealer experience, in that they are not interested in looking for problems that are not hitting them in the face. If they don't hear a rod smashing against the inside of the engine block, then nothing could be wrong. Your temp. I would advance the heating control full to the right and see how long it takes to feel heat coming from the vents. I feel good strong heat in about 3-4 minutes. Gary
    Gary, I was just wondering if your guage responds similar to the way I described.

I was thinking of going to the dealer and seeing if my sales person would let me start another HL just to see if the loudness and the humming resonance is there at idle but I bet they won't want any part of this. They will just refer me to service. Once they sell you the car, they more or less wash their hands of stuff like that. I'm sure they wouldn't let me test drive another one to see if the vibration is there at 1800 RPM.
    I just went to the dealer, and test drove another hightlander, as if I was looking to buy. You have to do what you have to do.
    So did the one you test drove have the vibration and other problems that plagues your's?
  • We are waiting with bated breath Gary to see what you came up with after test driving another Highlander at another Dealer. You did what I was going to suggest when you first said they probably would be reluctant to let you test drive another Highlander, at the dealership where you bought your wheels.
  • eben1eben1 Posts: 3
    We were finally able to fix the problem and the cost was....$0! Found some info online about how to take part of the dashboard off and reconnect the wires that enable the heat dial. Took all of 30 minutes and we did it ourselves. Below is the website we used as guidance. It looks like several people have had this problem and fixed it themselves. I am going to call Toyota USA and the dealership and raise some hell. Can't believe they would have taken $900 from us to replace the entire heating system when this is all it needed. The heat/ac work just fine now. Hope this helps. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/highlander/32217-heater-quit-sort-of/
  • phrosutphrosut Posts: 122
    Thanks for that link eben1!

Another great source of info for a car that has so few problems. I bought the extended warranty and the posts about this $900 heater problem was a contributing reason.

I also bought the "money back on extended warranty if not used" and hoping to cash in on that. Have about 63,000 miles so far with no problems whatsoever.

Phil
  • edhedh Posts: 246
    How much was the warrant and was it a Toyota warranty or another company?
  • jwarejware Posts: 1
    I just spoke with a service rep at the toyota dealer here in ft. wayne. He recommended against cleaning it. He said the "check engine" light would probably go on again "soon." Does anyone have any experience with having the AF sensor cleaned vs replaced (he's quoting me $322 for replacement)?
    :confuse:
  • I have a 2005 highlander and just started hearing a clunking noise in the steering column. You mentioned that there is a fix for this. Could you pass along the details?

thanks
  • would you have the details of the TSB, maybe the TSB number?

thanks
  • gasman1gasman1 Posts: 321
    TSB ST001-06, dated February 16, 2006
  • I have '04 HL V6 2WD. It makes a high pitched engine noise, which starts at 70 mph, becomes worst at around 75 mph and goes away at around 80 mph. If I take the foot off the gas pedal at these speeds, it completely goes away, but comes back as soon as I put my foot back on the gas pedal.
    Anyone know whats wrong with it?
  • phrosutphrosut Posts: 122
    I am somewhat memory-impaired but it seems like the extended warranty was maybe $1000 plus a couple of hundred more for the "money back if not used" part.

I found the warranty online and then my dealer matched the price. I didn't buy the extended warranty until I had about 30,000 miles on the car and was sure I'd be keeping it.

Phil
  • Hi, there. Same prob. here. I have a 2005 model Highlander and have notice this clunking when negotiating bends on roads. I'll definitely have it checked out at my next maintenance. It's still under warrantee.
    You may wish to send me an e-mail so we can keep each other informed of the development.
    J
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 11
    i am taking it in for service on 1/11. I will keep you posted. BTW, I asked the service mgr if he has seen this before, he said yes, they replace the steering column and it is not a safety issue.
  • edhedh Posts: 246
    of the clunking is the shaft btw the column and the rack - they replaced that on mine
  • I have a 2002 Highlander. As I was driving down the highway, my oil light began to blink on and off. I added a quart of oil when I got home. 3 days later, oil light and check engine light come on at same time. Also, knocking noise coming from engine. Help!! Any thoughts before I take it in? :sick: