Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• robnaorobnao Posts: 29
    I have a 2002 limited and the drivers side sun visor recently started to fall down into the line of sight, it would not stay in the up position. My wife normally drives this vehicle and she uses the visor every day. When I called the dealer here in Hawaii I was quoted over $700 for a new visor! I realize there is a "home link" garage door opener and a vanity mirror in it and it is leather wrapped, but over $700 for a sun visor!!! I have the platinum extended warranty, but they are saying this item is not covered because it is not in the "covered" section of the warranty, but it is not in the "excluded" section either. Anyone have any suggestions?
    By the way, this is only the second problem I have ever had with this vehicle, the first was an idle sensor.
  • jrfierojrfiero Posts: 123
    Not that it answers your questions, but my 2001 had that problem almost immediately, and Toyota replaced it no questions asked. I'd keep on the warranty company.
  • edhedh Posts: 246
    design defects (not enought pre deliver testing-)
    back up lights are really dim due to poor lense design
    and remote key fob springs are weak- put it in your pocket with other keys and it goes off
  • tixtix Posts: 27
    Good luck. My SUNROOF broke, in the open position and they want to charge me $1,400 to fix, when the sunroof purchase option is only $900. I was only a couple thousand miles out of warrenty too.
  • tixtix Posts: 27
    Good luck. My SUNROOF broke, in the open position and they want to charge me $1,400 to fix, when the sunroof purchase option is only $900. I was only a couple thousand miles out of warranty too.
  • check posting #3853
  • Part of the problem with the back-up lights seems to be the tinted glass in the rear. Brighter bulbs would help a good bit.
  • garywigarywi Posts: 54
    OK, My appt is on 2/15 with a "field service rep"? What is a factory rep?
  • When I called Toyota Corporation and spoke with a customer service representative and explained my situation - I told her that the dealership was going to contact a district field service representative and she said that I would probably need to deal with the factory representative. The factory representative deals more closely with the production line of the vehicles - the field service representative deals with the service departments. The factory representative has asked me to go drive another highlander at the dealership to see if it feels the same way. I'm sure it probably does because I feel this issue is on all the vehicles. Anyway, they said they would have the factory rep come to the dealership after I drive another one and they would try to make me happy one way or another. I'm hoping for some good luck because I am so discouraged by the hoops I've had to go through.
  • eddieeeddiee Posts: 25
    Same thing happened to my 2002. It was replaced under (3/36K) warranty. $500 just for the part. This must be a known problem. I would push for extended warranty coverage. Since then I never pull mine down completely, to try to "save it". Others have suggested trying to "gum up" the piece that rotates.
  • my brakes went all the way to floor during hard braking on ice (nearly pooping my pants) pedal stuck down to the floor 350 bucks later all fixed just turn 33000 miles is there a recall or anything on this the shop told me i bent lower steel bracket im not that strong this is really scaring me 2004 non limited . any one have this problem yet? thanks
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Other than "bent" pedal, not altogether an unusual circumstance given that the ABS was likely VERY active and the ABS pumpmotor was moving LOTS of brake fluid to help maintain brake fluid pressure. In that instance the brake pedal "stroke" distance can be quickly exhausted but not to worry the ABS pumpmotor will supplant the apparent need for more pedal travel.

Just hold the "pedal to the metal", brake pedal that is. The anti-lock system will do the rest.

You may have spent $350 bucks needlessly.
  • The exact same thing happened to me. I hit a patch of ice and was sliding extremely slow towards the car in front of me, when I pressed hard on the break pedal it stuck to the floor board. I didn't use extreme force. It seemed to me like a weak bracket and my dealership wanted around $350 to replace it. I was wonder if it's something I can order and fix myself. Do you know the part number they replaced on yours?

Also, I recently had engine trouble with my highlander and the manager at the dealership was a real jerk. The car wouldn't run and he said he needed to see the defective part in person. I took the part off and brought it to him and he wouldn't even look at it, he said if I need it replaced call the headquarters. I called them and they told me I should file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. It seems like such an unorganized system. When I was buying they did everything they could to make me happy, once I owned the car the couldn't care less. My wife has a Toyota and has had similar problems. She got home and found out they charged her for a warranty that was almost $2,000 that she said she didn't want. When we went back up there they acted like they couldn't reverse it. After explaining that they'd better reverse or we'll return the car they did. Toyota seems very crooked to me and they don't stand behind their product unless they have to to keep their image up. I'll never buy another Toyota again.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    Anyone else with a bent brake pedal bracket? Seems like an odd thing to have happen, even in a panic stop. May be worth a complaint to the NHTSA.
    Can you please point out what specific part is bending?

Is it the brake foot pedal, under the rubber convering?
    Is is the brake lever arm that attaches to the brake foot pedal?
    Or, is the bend higher up under the dash?

I am getting more and more angry about this 2007 piece of trash Highlander that I just bought.

Thanks

Gary
  • Gary,

What state do you live in? I am in NC. I was supposed to meet with factory rep on Friday but I am going to be at a funeral out of town. Just wondering if we would have the same factory rep?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Sorry, knowing the way the anti-lock system works, basically, I would not be at all surprised at the brake pedal going full stroke with continuous braking and ABS activity.

Getting stuck there and/or bending something is entirely a different story. I would suspect a poor return spring being at fault for being stuck or maybe whatever bends from your foot pressure holds it stuck.

I could see myself, if the brake pedal did go full stroke and the ABS activity being continuous due to a slippery surface and the car begins and continues to slid on that surface, being EXTREMELY hard on the brake pedal in my PANIC to get the car to come to a stop.

Just another reason, for me, to suggest disabling ABS unless/until VSC detects impending loss of directional control.
    Ajdezso,

I meet with the Field rep this Thurs. I live in AZ. After they tell me they can't fix all the engineering defects, I am going to give mediation a try.
    It did not go well. The man was nice, but did not offer any indepth troubleshooting. I was sent away with nothing. My problems, if you recall are:

Problems: 1. Excessive engine vibration transmitted through steering column. 2. Excessive front braking, front brakes grab, seem out of proportion with back. Braking consistency varies. 3. Cold idle too high, 1950 RPM, transmission slams into gear. 4. Engine idle, loud resonance or “boominess”, growl in first gear. 5. Transmission erratic with inappropriate shifting. Transmission always shifting up to 5th gear at slow speeds, pushing car forward faster when not desired. Car will not downshift when appropriate. Car will drive for a mile without gas pedal input, stuck in 5th gear at 900 RPM. Car is easier to stop if put in Neutral. Excessive braking to keep car from surging forward. Toyota has had widespread problems here. It introduced a software upgrade in 2006, but it only improved slightly.

Don't buy this truck. Contact me with questions.
  • under the dash (from what he told me it is between foot pedal and what ever activates the braking system ).. it was called lower brake peddle bracket by mechanic. i was told it was steel scariest thing with this truck so far had my son in the car and almost slid into my house .. now i also had the original duelers on with 33500 miles so this could be part of the problem.. left mechanic and went right to mavis and got cross terrains ill update you if anything else goes