Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• alsopalsop Posts: 38
    Like goldston (Philip), I could not AT FIRST get the Homelink to work with my garage door opener, and I had a thought on why not, but it turned out to be wrong, so I am revising my posting! Philip, or others, I don't know if the following info will help or is even correct, but it is a thought. My garage door opener is is not a Genie, but it is another popular brand with a "learn" system...as a quick background, last fall I went to a Home Depot and bought a key pad remote garage door opener. Once I got it home, I discovered by trying to set it up that my model of the garage door system operates on an uncommon remote control/radio frequency, even though it is a popular brand garage door opener. For example, I think a common frequency is 310 MHz for some garage door openers, but mine is a few frequencies up from that, so I ended up taking the key pad opener back to Home Depot for a refund. To get a remote for my system, I would have to special order one from somewhere, such as my garage door dealer. Fast forward to the Highlander - could it be, POSSIBLY, that not every possible frequency garage doors work on be programmed into the HL Homelinks? Just a thought, I do not know. I followed my HL and garage door opener instructions a couple of times...I finally got it programmed, on the left hand button, although which button probably does not matter. Also, just FYI, on the back of my garage door opener (the opener itself, the motor housing), by the learn light, the frequency it operates on is shown...that is how I found out it was not compatible with remotes using the more common frequencies (the remote I tried last fall had the freqs listed on it, too, which is when I began to learn about all this). If there was someway we could find out what freqs the Homelink system in the HL is programmed to use, we would know for sure this is the problem. Just a thought, and perhaps the Home Link Web site might have some info. /Ron
  • I just programmed the Homelink on my HL. Took some fooling with the opener but I got it to work on a "rolling code" with the buttons. BTW, according to www.homelink.com, the frequencies it works with is "288-399 mH" which I believe is MHz. Check your owners manual for the frequency. There's also a nifty Adobe Acrobat file on "Getting Started with Homelink". I'm just happy mind worked because I enherited the door opener when I bought my house.
  • goldstongoldston Posts: 110
    I'm going to check out the Homelink web site, print the adobe acrobat file, look at the back of my opener for the operating frequency and head out to the garage before it gets to hot out there.
    The garage temps. here in Phoenix are brutal in the summer time.

I'll post my results... hopefully in a few minutes... :-))

Philip
    Well, I've still not been able to get the Home Link and my Genie opener to talk to each other yet, but I haven't given up.

I've already sent a email to Home Link customer service and well as one to Genie. Let's see what they have to tell me.

I believe it may be as Ron suggested above that the 1996 Genie frequency may not be in the Home Link range, but we'll see what both Home Link and Genie have to say. I'll post there responses here as soon as I get them. Untill then (and maybe after) I'll continue to use my "clip on the visor" type opener.

Thanks again for all the help,
    Philip
    I finally got through to Genie customer service and was told they were aware of the problem with pre-1997 Genie openers and Home Link, but gave me the 800 number to Home Link to call and resolve the problem. (Home Link 800-355-3515)

If you have a pre-1997 Genie Intellicode opener you have to combine both programming instructions from the Toyota manual.

Step 1. Push both outside buttons until you clear all programming in the Home Link opener. This takes about 20 seconds and you a rapid flashing LED.

Step 2. With your "clip on the visor" opener in one hand and your other hand on the Home Link button (your choice of the three) press both opener & Home Link button simultaneously until you get a rapid flashing LED. Mine took about 7 seconds.

Step 3. Now go to you garage door opener housing and find and press the "learn" or "training" button. The LED will start flashing and you have 30 seconds to program from you Home Link button in the Highlander.

Step 4. Firmly press the same button you programmed in step 2 above for two seconds (release), then again for two seconds (release) and finally a third time for two seconds for a total of three times holding the button for 2 seconds each time you push it.

At this time my garage door opener activated with the onboard Home Link in the Highlander.

I hope this is helpful.

Philip
    I agree that a search engine here at Edmunds to look for "key" words through out the various topics would/could have prevented me from re-inventing the wheel.

And of course I would have welcomed your help and direction that you provided in your post.

But, it was a great learning experance and now this information is the Toyota/Owner' Club/Toyota Highlander Owners thread to help those Highlander owners out there.

Best Regards,
    Philip
    Wow, Philip, this is a true case of a bit of persistence paying off! I am glad to hear you got the HomeLink working with the garage door opener, and perhaps others will indeed benefit from your experience and info. Quite a sequence to go through...again, glad it worked out. Thanks for sharing the results. /Ron
  • oma6oma6 Posts: 1
    We bought a 2001 Highlander Limited in April from Bob Thomas Motors in The Dalles and just love it. Our experience with the dealer was first rate and we could not have asked for better service.

At about 2000 miles, I noticed a very faint whine in the transmission which was audible at only about 5 mph or less. Now, at 4100 miles, it has begun a chirping and whining sound that is quite noticeable at the same speed. Having always had a 5 speed before, I'm unfamiliar with automatic transmission sounds, but this doesn't seem like it should be normal. I will probably end up taking it to our Toyota service department and have it checked out. Has anyone else had this problem?

Lastly, we have had nothing but headaches trying to get a center console for it. We purchased the car with the expectation that it had one in it. When it arrived from a dealer in Roseburg, it did not. The folks at Thomas Motors said they would order one and would contact us when it arrived. Well, Toyota Mfg. informed them that it cannot be purchased as an "optional item"... it only comes installed when the car is ordered from the factory with one requested. This makes no sense to us, because there is no place to put things like cell phones, cd's, etc. except in the glove box which is on the opposite side of the car or in the doors which are not "user friendly" for small items. Anyway, if anyone knows where I might find a good after market console I would appreciate it. Bob Thomas Motors is continuing to try to locate one for us.
  • dichelledichelle Posts: 25
    I did have a problem with my button sticking, or thought I did--sometimes it just wouldn't push. I read the manual and learned that one must apply the brakes before shifting out of park. I have found that I must step on the brake pretty hard or the button will not depress. When I am careful to apply the brakes firmly, I don't have a problem with the transmission button. Don't know if this is your problem or not.
  • gunga64gunga64 Posts: 271
    fits perfectly between the seats of my highlander at pepboys.It is made by rubber
    queen number 0-71897-51371 cost $19.99 and has two cupholders.The base is a little over 8 inches,but narrower at the top,push it in from the rear seat floor and it fits perfect.

Sounds like it beats paying 100+ for orginal
  • dean2sm1dean2sm1 Posts: 34
    Have read with interest posts about Homelink. These inspired me to try again to program garage lights so they could be turned on and off with Homelink. If any of you are interested, I'll post method I worked out that works great, using a couple of cheap Radioshack items.
  • gunga64gunga64 Posts: 271
    Is the toyota financing a good deal or is it some trick. We went and looked at a toyota last saturday the sales guy said that it was the last day you could get .9% financing. We still decided to wait. He calls me up today(weds) and says they still have the .9% financing, are these guys trustworthy at all. I have found them in a ton of lies now.
  • robsfhlrobsfhl Posts: 12
    Thanks Dichelle, I have made a conscious effort to step on the brake firmly before shifting out of park and have not experienced the problem since. I guess I should read the owners manual more carefully.
  • dichelledichelle Posts: 25
    Glad it helped. I know it upset the heck out of me when my button stuck--I had gotten into my beautiful new vehicle to drive it for about the third time ever, and I couldn't even get it backed out of the garage!
  • dmicheldmichel Posts: 6
    I have the alarm with the glass breakage sensor, but I cannot seem to set it off or locate the microphone. It makes me wonder if I really got what I paid for. Any thoughts?
  • b717b717 Posts: 38
    The sensor is plugged into a pre-existing part of the wiring harness. You can access it by removing the right hand cover panel at the bottom of the center area of the dash lower extension. This cover is adjacent to where a passengers left foot would be when seated. Two fasteners are all you need to loosen and then remove the cover. The sensor is mounted on a plastic disc the size of a quarter. The back has some foam double stick tape that as several of us have previously reported, does not hold well to the back of the access cover , and can come loose and allow the sensor to fall to the floor.
    The sensor is not as sensitive as the one in my Camry, in the Camry, I can tap on the glass and get a trigger to occurr, not so in the Highlander. I did find that if the sensor was "exposed" or in view, I could get a trigger to occurr. With it mounted back in the "proper" location, it does not seem to not "hear" as well as when exposed. Hope this is of some help.
  • maulanamaulana Posts: 55
    dear folks...

We got our HL about two weeks ago, and have taken it on a 1700 mile trip so far. Rides like a dream...

one small annoying factor, which I was wondering if anyone has any solutions for: when we first start driving, there is a loud "clicking" sound which comes from the roof. I have read the previous posts (#9, #14, etc.) where people talk about clicking sounds associated with the rear spoiler, but our does not have one. It definitely seems to come from the sunroof.

Does anyone else hear something like this? any solutions?

otherwise, a great great family car.

many thanks,

maulana
  • 1122334411223344 Posts: 13
    I have also heard the clicking noise from the roof you refer to. When I heard it I had the air conditioner going full blast and figured maybe the sunroof was contracting or expanding causes the pop noise, but that is probably totally wrong. So I don't know what that noise is!?
  • I have a annoying problem. My alarm seems to be acting up quite alot. I never lock it using anything but the remote, but then when I try to unlock it with the remote it doesn't. The lights flash twice and the doors don't unlock (I check everytime). Then, I press it again and I hear the doors presumably unlock, only when I go to open the doors it's locked. Then I try to unlock the door with my key and it opens only to greet me with the blaring alarm. And one other thing, this never happens to my wife so she thinks I'm crazy. In fact I had her try it and it didn't work so she's convinced that I lock the doors with the button on the door everytime I leave the car (her only feasible explanation but sadly untrue). Can someone please help me!!!!
  • andrec8513andrec8513 Posts: 16
    Try reprogramming your remote. I bet that will fix it.
  • maprnmaprn Posts: 1
    Have read the posts re: clicking noise from the roof of the car. I also am experiencing it and I also think it has something to do with expansion and contraction due to heat (sun) and cooling. Has anyone spoken to a dealer about this? I have a sunroof but no spoiler. I don't notice the sounds as much if I pull the cover over the sunroof. I love my Highlander. Great to drive, but the loud clicks and snaps and pops can be annoying.
  • I've owned this highlander for a week now. When I drive with only rear windows(one or both), it makes serious noise which is extremly painful and unbearable. I took it to the service department at the dealer, and one of the technicians acknowledged the problem but said there is nothing they can do about the problem. He feels it's a design problem. I'm taking the car to the person who sold the car and see what he has to say. The problem is serious enough to make all the good things about highlander disappear. If anyone has same problem please post a message.
  • 7332high7332high Posts: 3
    We have experienced the same problem, and have seen other postings with same complaint. We did go back to the dealer and drove other Highlanders and they are all the same. The only solution we have found is to roll the front windows down a little. You'll have to play around with it to see what works best. We were just told it's wind noise and should be expected with SUV's, but dealer acknowledged that this is excessive. I agree, it is unbearable and it sounds like a helicopter is landing on or in the vehicle. Hard to believe that whoever designed this vehicle would find this pleasant. Other than this complaint, we love the car.
    Dear keepyung00,

Having owned a lot of different vehicles, both american and imports, they all have had the noise/wind "wupping" sound when the rear windows are down. And as "7332high" stated, the answer is to equalize the press by lowering a front window a little or open/tilt the sun roof. I guess I never gave it second thought the first it happen in my Highlander, but I can sure see your point of view and your concern.

Best regards,
    Philip
  • Dear Philip,

Thanks for taking the time to post a message and share your experience. For other readers, I just would like to add another comment. Prior to purchase HL, I owned and still own 91 Ford Explorer. Since I didn't have a power window with my explorer, I never had opportunity to drive my rear windows only. That meant, I had to open the rear passenger doors and manually roll down the windows. Well, I experimented yesterday for the first time in 10 years, and it did not make any noise. And I rode in with my coworker today who who owns 99 Nissan PathFinder. It did not have that problem. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the noise problem is very severe with HL case and I would like people to be informed before considering buying a HL. Thanks again for your message.

Regards,

Keepyung
    If some people have not seen postings here on Edmund that go back quite away, then you may not know that the wind noise with the back windows down on the HL has been mentioned and discussed many times. While it is kind of you to point it out, Keepyung, there is absolutely no way that one issue would have kept me from buying my Highlander. No vehicle I have ever had was perfect, however my Highlander is much closer to perfect that many other vehicles, even with this wind issue. If you would like to read discussion on this subject, scroll back through the posts on the Edmunds HL sites. I find the wind noise with the back windows down to be a minor issue, at least for me...although since the HL, for the most part, is a great vehicle over all, it actually is not really an "issue" with me. However, I can understand your concern, and frustration. Whatever you decide and however it ends up for you, good luck, and best wishes. /Ron
    Re: my posting #57, with the reference to other postings on the back window wind noise: I found some of those discussions in one area on the main/combined page here (not on this "Problems and Solutions" section, but in the main "Highlanders Owner's Club") beginning with message 1404 or so. So, if you are interested in reading earlier postings on this subject, those around and quite a few since about #1404 share some good information! Good luck! /Ron
    dean2sm1, (or others with info about using HomeLink as mentioned in posting #42) - I would indeed be interested on the HomeLink info you have and how you got it set up/programmed to turn on your garage (or other) lights. I hope you are still reading these postings! Thanks! /Ron
  • tonysatonysa Posts: 1
    I also have a highlander with 1000 miles which exhibits this same noise. Has anyone heard of a
    fix? It is coming from the sun roof. We don't have a spoiler.
  • dean2sm1dean2sm1 Posts: 34
    alsop: it's too late at nite for me now, but I'll post in detail tomorrow; glad you're interested.

Dean