Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mdchachimdchachi Posts: 275
    Have you tried getting a quote from a non-dealer?
  • tixtix Posts: 27
    Yes. No one wants to touch the thing. Its difficult to get to the motor. But thank you for the suggestion.
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Posts: 168
    Greetings:

I have a 2007 HH Limited w/Nav. The compass is usually located in the rear view mirror except for those models w/nav. I have looked through the nav manual but see no reference to the compass. There must be one somewhere as it is required to guide you to your destination. The only visual reference to direction is the little 'N' icon which I assume is North. My car is parked in the driveway and pointing West so this 'N' (North?) may not be correct.

Any assistance from those with Nav would be greatly appreciated.

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    Wouldn't it be easier just to pick up the phone and ask the dealer? Most of us don't have NAV.
    I was under the impression that these forums were for those seeking (and sharing) info about their vehicles from other owners. Contacting the dealer is an option but not always the most effective.

My question was directed to those that have navigation and might be able to help, not those who don't and can't.

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Posts: 109
    You have a couple of ways to do it. The N symbol is a North Up map orientation. Press it and it turns into a compass needle which is a Heading Up orientation.
    The second way is done by using the icon above the (+) (Zoom in). One of the modes is a pure compass/GPS mode.
    Greetings:

Thanks so much for your very helpful information. I will give this a try on my next outing. I don't use the Nav to map directions that often but consider the compass feature (now that I know how to access it) essential.

Best regards -

M. J. McCloskey
  • wdr1wdr1 Posts: 2
    Have a 2004 Highlander and need to reset the "oil replacement reminder" ie engine maintenance light. Directions would be appreciated. Tx

WDR1
    I would think it would be easier (& more reliable) to ask here. If nomorebenz hadn't answered, I would have.
    The dealer could have told him in 2 minutes. You can wait days for an answer here. Forums are NOT noted for their reliable information.
    Greetings:

I have an '07 HH and recently changed my oil and reset the service minder. Not sure if its the same for the '04 but here are the steps: 1. Turn ignition key to 'LOCK' position w/the odometer reading shown. 2. Turn the ignition key to 'ON' position while holding down the trip meter reset knob. A msg 'MAINT REQD RESET MODE' will appear on the display. 3. Hold down the knob at least 5 seconds. A msg 'COMPLETE' will appear and a beep will sound.

Hope the above is of assistance in resetting your service minder.

Regards - M. J. McCloskey

P.S. to NOMOREBENZ - Thanks again for your guidance in accessing the compass feature within the Nav system in my HH. It couldn't have been easier!
  • wdr1wdr1 Posts: 2
    M. J.
    Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I'll give it a shot tonight! Appreciate your help.
    True, but then neither are dealers. :P
    You got that right! :)
  • teamtboteamtbo Posts: 78
    Toyotagal, et. al.,
    Just curious if your HL has the shifting problem described here? I am thinking about buying a 2007 HL v6 AWD and am very interested...especially since I am buying this to replace my 2007 Camry XLE v6 because it was experiencing the shift flare even after a new transmission. Thanks!
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Posts: 215
    Absolutely no "shifting problems" with my 4 month old 07 Highlander to date. Shifts beautifully every time.
  • ohmygoshohmygosh Posts: 66
    I really love this SUV after 45,000 miles I only had one problem. The sunroof malfunctioned and the motor had to be replaced after 2 years, but it was under warranty. Now my car is in the shop for another problem. The automatic door locks wouldn't work and the engine light came on. I immediately took it in to the dealer as the manual suggested and was told they were getting '7' code system failures, which they said was a first. Say What !! Before they got to the problem they told me my extended warranty may not cover the problem that could be related to a mouse chewing the wires. Say What !!
    After they evaluated it they told me the power window master switch had shorted out, causing other problems in the electrical system. Fortunately my extended warranty covered it and a rental car.
    I haven't got the car back yet and I am still concerned. Can anyone tell me if they experienced similar problems with this vehicle ? Can it be related to the same problem I had with the roof ? Will I have to worry that this electrical problem will keep occuring ? Help !!!!
  • tixtix Posts: 27
    I have a 2004 Highlander and also had the sunroof malfunction, and although it was only a couple years old, I was out of warranty by 2,000 miles, so you are lucky that yours got fixed. They want to charge me $1,500. While still in warranty, my car had an issue with the anti lock brakes. For some reason it would not let me go over 12 mph. It was a difficult task getting it in to the dealer to be fixed (a lot of motorists were not very happy with my "slow pace"). I also had a heat shield fall off after having the car for just one month. So, I don't know what to tell you about your issues, other than to say I am not happy with Toyota and its unsatisfactory customer service. I will not buy another Toyota.
  • noel3noel3 Posts: 4
    2004 4 runner has same problem - toyota (local and national) "claims" that they have no service bulletins, notices, or anything on these - but i know they have had major problems. WHere can i get copies of their documentation of problems - i have 45K miles and want to prove the issue is chronic with their sunroof assembly
    thank - mnkraus@optonline.net
  • The gear off the sunroof is plastic and the cables are plastic. When the two gears mesh the cable moves and the sunroof opens. If the cable binds or strips the gear on the motor also strips. To repair the sunroof it takes anywere from 6 to 8 hours of labor depending on what needs to be done plus a full interior clean afterwards and the parts 2 cables,1 motor,and tracks. Seems like the price is ok to me. I would also note that the fact thay offered a bill split means the service manager toyota to get that approved so the dealer is working for you. Anyway it still sucks being so close to warranty good luck getting toyota to pay. I personaly think thay should covor it.