Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 469
    I think last time I had just an oil & filter change at the dealer it was just over $30.00. At least in my area they don't want to charge too much more than the independents. You can buy their 'special oil' at any auto supply store and change it yourself if you are so inclined.
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Posts: 215
    My first oil change at our local Toyota Dealer was $29.95 plus tax. And included "replacing engine oil, replacing filter, replace plug gasket, adjust air pressure and check other fluids". Which is called "Basic Service" and includes 17 visual inspections.

They also have what is called "Premium Service" which is $79.06 plus tax which includes "perform engine oil flush" and "install premium engine treatment".
  • I have an 05 highlander, recently the drivers door and only the drivers door, will not lock or unlock with the remote. I believe it is an actuator and was wondering has anybody incurred the cost of replacing this part? And what kind of labor is involved...
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Posts: 85
    I own a 03 jeep liberty with the same problem and it cost $217-230 That should give u some idea. I also own a 03 Highlander and that is how I got your post Good luck
  • james82james82 Posts: 2
    My 82 year old mother took her 2005 highlander in for a 30k mile service. the total bill was $790.76! I think she got ripped off by Bev Smith Toyota in Ft Pierce Florida. In addition to normal service they flushed the brake,transmission and power steering fluids! They called her and said the fluids looked dirty and should be changed? Does this seem excessive?
  • webgoodwebgood Posts: 95
    I'll venture a few guesses here:
    #1. It's in Florida; take the price for the same service as here in the midwest and double it.
    #2. Your mom's a female and 82 YOA; they 'saw her coming' on both age and gender, and gave her the full monte.
    #3. She probably went into the service department, was asked what needed to be done, and trustingly told them something on the order of, "Just do what you normally do/should be done/what you think needs done."

The Toyota 'recommended' 30,000 mile service items "to be inspected and/or replaced" are all listed in the service book that came with the vehicle, and it's quite a list indeed. Early on, I had some service writers at my dealership try to pull the 'here's the list we need to do' approach when I brought my vehicles in for service, particularly at significant intervals (15K, 30K). They've learned that I specify exactly and only what I want done, i.e. LOF (lube,oil and filter), rotate tires, change engine coolant. Anything else beyond what they find in their '25-point inspection', they need my oral approval before doing.
    Dealerships make their money from the service departments and some of them really push the limits. It's up to the customer to keep a leash on them. Regards, BGood
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,936
    You can go to the Edmunds Maintenance Guide and see what the 30k service costs in your area.

And you could then take that info to the dealer and request an adjustment, assuming they were high and did things that Toyota doesn't recommend.

I'm sure Florida has a consumer protection agency too....
    dealer will always try to provide necessary and near necessary mtce. I think it was excessive but she won't have to have it done again. Next time look on this site for guidance. I hate it when they tell me something looks dirty. I tell them to put in their notes that I don't fall for their crap so next time I'm in they know better.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Yes, Mom got ripped off. At 30K, that car needed virtually nothing more than an oil change, and honestly, the car will do fine NEVER having a power steering or brake fluid flush. So, yes, without a doubt, they saw her coming and ripped her off, and you should report them to everyone from the State Attorney General down to the Better Business Bureau.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,936
    Edmunds' Dealer Ratings and Reviews would be another good place to warn the world about the shenanigans of this dealer.
    Actually the coolant has to be replaced at 30 k along with a few other things, yes they didn't do her any favors, reporting to the BBB won' help as she approved of the service. Know what you need in advance and only ask for that at time of serv ice
  • tsotsitsotsi Posts: 98
    My maintenance schedule doesn't show the need to change the coolant at 30k miles. In fact, I understand Toyota uses long-life coolant that lasts much longer than the old-fashioned stuff did. It is important to use the same long-life coolant when topping up if it is ever necessary.
    My maintenance schedule doesn't show the need to change the coolant at 30k miles. In fact, I understand Toyota uses long-life coolant that lasts much longer than the old-fashioned stuff did. It is important to use the same long-life coolant when topping up if it is ever necessary.

That was also my understanding.....
    My mistake I have an 03 which requires 30k on coolant, It must have changed in 04 or 05 I switched to gm coolant lastime which lasts much longer. I change evry 60 k
  • aakyeamaakyeam Posts: 3
    I'm almost at 144,000 km and its required to have my timing belt changed...the car is in mint condition and i just got it about a month ago...Do I have to change it at the required mileage or I can run it for a bit longer...whats the estimated cost for changing the timing belt and anything else that goes with it...I'm in toronto and would appreciate any feedback with regard to this...also looking at getting some fog lamps and the bug deflector for car...any advice or I should just get it from toyota or ebay?
    thanks everyone...I'm loving my highlander...
    Well, whatever the cost for changing the timing belt is; it's a fraction of what it will cost you for the valve rebuild you'll have to pay for if that belt breaks - so if it's due, I'd get it changed. You have no consequences if it doesn't break, but heaven help you if it does.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Hmmm, are you sure on that? I thought some Toyota engines were non-interference type engines, meaning if the timing belt breaks, there shouldn't be engine damage.
    Just got aprice for my 03 v6 timing belt and water pump which should be changed at same time timing belt, water pump fluid and drive belts 570.00 us plus tax I'm getting it done on Friday 4.25.08 I called 2 other dealers and one was 675 plus tax the other hasn't responded I have about 98000 miles on it and didn't want to push my luck
  • aakyeamaakyeam Posts: 3
    thanks guys for all the feedback.......I luv my HL too much not to take care of it..will get the belts and water pump taken care of when its due...
    Ok, I'm not sure. BUT, if I'm right, I'm right, and I'm not sure that I'm not right, so thought I'd better mention it. :confuse: