Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Ok, if someone gives you a Ford, give it to me, I'll take it.

All I'm saying is, on the Ford Escape Hybrid forum, there are no complaints, and plenty here.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    When I board an Alaska airlines flight my expections of how well things will go, how well I will be treated, are a lot higher, a WHOLE lot higher, than when I board a NWA flight.

Were I to purchase another Ford my expectations of quality would be nil as would be my expectations of responsiveness to the quality problem.
    Yes, and conversely, since I drive a Lexus, I expect pretty much no funny noises, grinding sounds or any of the other problems prevalent here on this board. But alas, the board is replete with quality concerns. Unexpected for a Toyota.

I'm beginning to wonder if Toyota is getting a slight case of GM fever, taking over the world like they have. It would be a shame....
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Posts: 195
    Aside from this one issue, NVBANKER, I'm totally satisfied with initial quality and would recommend the vehicle to anyone.

Since the original post, I have discovered the following: I had Sirius radio installed by the dealer after I took delivery. The antenna is mounted high up on the glass and the antenna cable is run under the trim and down behind the dash to the back of the head unit (nav) to the Sirius "brain." In removing part of the dash for this cable run, the technician most likely didn't re-attach the cable. I therefore am chalking this up to a technician's mistake rather than Toyota quality.

I've already made the decision to drive this vehicle 10 years and would buy again tomorrow. You won't be disappointed should you decide to buy.
  • I took my wife's 2008 SR5 into the dealer today to have them determine why the rear passenger side is 1/2 inch higher than the driver side. The dealer measured 6 more on the lot and they were all the same.

Is this a known issue or a design feature?
  • 2004hl2004hl Posts: 21
    My 2004 Highlander V6 is due for a timing belt change and I'm interested in doing it myself - partly for economic reasons and partly for trust issues.
    I've done timing belts before but are there any specific issues or difficulties with the V6 Toyota that I should know about? Scale of difficulty? Brute strength required?
    I plan on doing the water pump and the seals while I'm in there as this is a long-term keeper.
    Thanks all!
  • yohohikryohohikr Posts: 4
    I am seeing some fluid in my 2005 at 43K miles. Would you have a link or info about the TSB RE; this. I just shelled out 2600K for something that was no longer under warrannty for the 36K warranty. Overall its been reliable, but the Subaru I had before wwent 188K with very little going wrong so this is not what I expected being a Toyota. thanks
  • webgoodwebgood Posts: 95
    First off, I'm not an expert or a mechanic. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but don't have many of the "car guy" tools or know-how. IMHO I'd NEVER attempt to do the timing belt thing. I once watched a small part of the process being done by a Toyota dealer mechanic and marveled at how having the right tools, training and the experience made such a difference. Plus there's other parts (rollers or guides) that need to be replaced in the process.
    If you get the satisfaction of standing back and proudly smiling after successfully completing a difficult job like that, go for it. If you want to absolutely avoid the searing aggravation of finding the anti-freeze leak at the mall parking lot, having it towed to the dealership/mechanic, and paying for all over again...hhmmm.
  • 2004hl2004hl Posts: 21
    As I said I have done them before and was just looking for someone who has experience with this specific model - wasn't really looking for the don't do it you'll ruin the engine and cause plagues of locusts to appear response.
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Posts: 85
    I had mine done at dealer w waterpump 535.00 plus tax plus free rental car for day.
    Warranty on parts and labor vs doing it your self GOOD LUCK
    Didn't intend to impugn your mechanical abilities. I have an acquaintance who is top mechanical engineer for a large manufacturing company and does complete frame-off restorations and engine rebuilds of classic muscle cars. He won't touch his wife's Acura. Like me, he just doesn't want the phone call, "Honey, I'm on the freeway and it's leaking something."
    Yes, it is. There is no fix for this. Just ignore it. Once the driver sits in the car alone, it levels out anyway. :blush:
  • At what mileage does everyone recommend changing the timing belt? I have a 2002 with 80K.

Thanks.......
    OM says 90K.
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Posts: 85
    90k but can go to about 97k highly recommend water pump too and all other belts will sound as good as new
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Absent having accured in excess of 150,000 I will not consider replacing the timing belt in my '01 AWD RX300. The timing belt that was removed from my '92 LS at 153,000 miles looked as if it was ready for the NEXT 150,000 miles.

And the issue of replacing the water pump is nothing more than an "old wives tale". Long ago water pumps often failed due to failure of the internal seal protecting the "nose" bearing, the ONLY bearing, from failure due to coolant getting into it. To help prevent that all water pumps have a "weep" hole/opening so the small amounts of coolant getting past the seal can simply drain away onto the street. Basically the improvement in those seals over the years has resulted in such a low water pump failure rate that replacing them as a preventative maintainance measure is a waste.
  • rodonnellrodonnell Posts: 37
    My 2 cents. I have changes timing belts in a variety of cars, nothing too difficult. Bought the Haynes manual for my 07, and nothing jumps out as glaringly difficult. I have a little benefit with the Hybrid in that I have no belts, P/S, etc to remove from the front of the engine.
  • I would not recommend that a novice attempt to replace the timing belt, it is a job for an experience mechanic with a complete set of tools and equipment.
    See messege # 4319 and a few meseges afterward for my comments when I bought my 2004 Highlander V6, 3.3L.
    See messege # 4330 for my comments about changing the timing belt. It is not the hardest job I ever did, but it is a full day of hard work. If you are less experienced, it may take you two days.
    Skill Level Required = High
    Water Pump = Yes replace, even though the water pump seemed fine, mine had signs of deterioration on the pully. The pully is pressed on as part of the pump assembly. All pullys must be smooth, brite and clean.
    I put in a timing belt, water pump, alternator belt and power steering belt. That was months ago and no sign of any leak, runs perfect.
  • edhedh Posts: 246
    I thought the 2004 highlander 4 cyl had timing belt but the v6 had a chain???????
    Most Japanese engines use belts to keep the NVH down. I believe your 6 also has a belt.