Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    I've got an 04 Highalnder with 41K miles, not much in the owners manual on when it's recommended to change the anti-freeze. What are the opinions here on when it should be changed? Also, is it as easy as simply draining what's in the radiator by loosening the drain plug? My old Honda CRV also had a large bolt on the engine block to remove that would drain whatever was still in the engine block. Are Toyotas like that as well?
  • On my '04 there is a little spring-release flap underneath the gas cap that is always closed unless it is depressed by the nozzle at the gas station. I suspect your '02 is the same. If so, there is little chance that enough water got into the tank to do damage.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Here's what the manual says for a 2004 Highlander coolant:

Initial replacement at 100,000 miles/120 months. Replace every 50,000 miles/60 months thereafter. Refer to "Engine Coolant" in the "Explanation of Maintenance Items" section in the back of this guide for more information.

Pretty amazing if you remember the "good old days" when you changed coolant every couple of years.
    Yeah I did eventually find that after going through the maint. and owner's manuals better. I changed the anti-freeze anyway, but never did find the bolt on the engine block so I didn't get all of the old stuff drained, but pretty close as the specs say a little over 7 quart capacity and I ended up using 5 quarts.
  • did you find a solution for your F to C ????
  • 2005 Highlander
    43,000 miles

I opened my hood today to add some windshield washer fluid and I noticed that my coolant level was exactly on the "L" level. I also noticed some dried up coolant at the end of the hose that goes towards the radiator. The coolant level seems to stay the same when I checked it this morning and when I checked it when I came home. When I look in the coolant reservoir it is yellow on the top. Other than filling up the reservoir a bit does anyone have any other suggestions, should I be worried?

Here is a link to the pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=draganplavsic&target=ALBUM&id=528357- 4488921410145&authkey=S2JOcBVaJx0&feat=email
  • soco4soco4 Posts: 9
    The original battery in our 2002 Highlander V-6 (50K, mild-climate use) seems fine, but I'm wondering if delaying replacement much longer would be a poor risk. 2001-2003 H/L owners who have replaced the original battery: how many months did you get out of your factory battery? Thanks for your information.
  • phrosutphrosut Posts: 122
    Our '03 (purchased 10/02) battery died last October. I was satisfied with that lifespan.

Phil
  • tixtix Posts: 27
    Just replaced my battery on a 2004 Highlander, with 90,000 miles. They had told me for a couple of years that it was getting low, but finally at 57% they replaced it. I know my car is younger, but......thought I would share.
  • tsotsitsotsi Posts: 98
    I kind of admire people brave enough to keep a battery until it completely quits. Batteries are so cheap, I just get a new one for my car every 3 years. It would seem to be $80 well spent -- less than $30 a year to be (almost) sure my car will start when I want it to.
  • bpIIIbpIII Posts: 1
    Yes, my hl has wind deflectors and it does not correct the problem, not in the least! The only solution is to roll down the front windows. The further you roll down the front windows, the better it gets. This is obviously a design flaw with this vehicle. Toyota should look into the possibility of creating some sort of vent system in the back cargo area to allow the cabin pressure to escape. Sorry I couldn't help any further.

bpIII
    You just replied to a post that is over 7 years old! LOL.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,984
    Better late than never. And anyone Googling the issue will find a handy answer. So thanks, BP!

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    For my '01 F/awd RX300 it wasn't really a problem until Oxford came along. Oxford is our dog who insists on having his head hanging out the rear window. I added two louvered vents from a Toyota Sequoia in the left and right rear quarter panel area.
    Good name, although with my Southern upbringing, I'd probably nickname him Oxpatch. :D

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

That Lemon Ice box pie statement should have told me your were southern. I was born in Tyronza AR, did some of my teenage years in Memphis.
    Next we'll be talking about Britling's Cafeteria next to Goldsmith's. Happy Birthday Elvis.

I don't guess they make too many pink Highlanders.

If anyone knows how to sync phones in a Highlander, there's an old Question in Edmunds Answers that needs putting to bed.

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I don't guess they make too many pink Highlanders.

Not unless Mary Kay used Highlanders for the tax write off. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Goldsmith's...Isn't that where Stella Stevens worked..

Was at Humes, 8th -10th grade.

Worked at Gerbers just down the street from Goldsmiths.

How did pink Highlanders come up..??
  • In my 01 Highlander V6 AWD, I believe I've traced a coolant leak to the "front" of the engine. There is a round plastic or rubber seal, maybe two inches in diameter, held in place with two nuts attached to studs coming through the edges of the seal, from inside the engine. This is located to the left of the oil filter, just slightly higher than the oil filter. I don't know the purpose of this rubber seal nor what is behind it.

There is a slow and occasional but regular drip of coolant that appears on the floor of the garage.

Has anyone else ever encountered this, and/or does anyone know what this rubber seal is for? It's not particularly easy to get to as it is behind the exhaust manifold, and I'm thinking I'd rather take it to the dealer than attempt to fix it myself.

Thanks!