Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• You're on borrrowed time. My 2003 failed almost 2 yrs ago. went to autozone, and was in and out in a jiffy.
  • Still on my original battery with my 2001 V6. It can sit for a couple of weeks without being driven and fires right up.
  • steves8steves8 Posts: 11
    I keep adding water throughout the life of the battery when needed, so Toyota OEM batteries last about one year beyond their number of months specified on the battery.
  • wshflwshfl Posts: 24
    My '04 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD has been diagnosed with bad rear wheel bearings, after having developed a pronounced noise around the rear wheels. What I want to know is: Is this a common occurence? Does Toyota have a recall or anything on this? And is the $1600.00 the dealership has quoted me to replace the bearings a typical charge for this service?
    I would appreciate any responses on these questions. Thank You.
  • I'm not familiar with AWD models but it is rare that any wheel bearing on any car would go bad in this day and age. At one time, maybe thirty years ago it was a not unusual. What I think you're up against is the bearing it self cannot be changed but the entire assembly by the dealership. More money is replacing parts than fixing things. Go this this site and the rear axle assembly is $685 from a discounted parts dealer. I would find another shop and get another opinion. I'm sure the bearing is bad but maybe the bearing itself cannot be bought.

https://www.toyotapartscenter.net/toyotahighlanderparts.html
    put in this key word " Axle assy Back "
  • gigi48gigi48 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Highlander. Recently I've noticed a rumbling noise, sounds like it's coming from the rear and only makes the noise while driving. Any suggestions?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    IMO your dealer is working a SCAM...!

First, wheel bearing failure is quite rare and is often precipitated by a floating caliper not floating or a stuck caliper piston. Both failed at the same time, catastrophic odds against that.

A too tight e-brake cable, e-brake being slightly applied ALL the time, will often get you a lot of rear noise.
  • Don't most cars and trucks have the PCV valve 'incorporated' into the valve cover(s)
    ? I cannot understand replacing valve covers especially if it is not sludged !
    Ask for just a PCV valve .......standard maintenance.
  • IMO your dealer is working a SCAM...!

First, wheel bearing failure is quite rare

Maybe not !

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_bad_right_wheel_bearing_on_a_2004_Toyota_Highland- - er_common
  • jrfierojrfiero Posts: 123
    I replaced the original on my 2001 V6 in Virginia this year. It just quit. I thought 8 years was pretty amazing. I now have an Interstate which I doubt will go as long.
    Wiki:

Passenger side rear wheel bearing ONLY plus over 100,000 miles.

No correlation.
    For my first 50 years of driving, car ownership, I only replaced batteries after they had failed, definitively FAILED.

No more. Nowadays with all of the computers and various electronic control components on board it is now too probable that during the "beginning to fail", later period of battery life, the marginal voltage will/might result in component failure.

So, for me, any indication, even slight indication, of my battery entering its life's final phase and it get retired.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,980
    Interesting and it does seem to more common to read about electrical problems around the forums "cured" by a new battery. Maybe we'll see more secondary battery applications to provide more consistent standby juice to the electrical components.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    I guess after 5 1/2 years, the OE battery doesn't owe me anything. I'd rather replace it prematurely than take a chance on it failing somewhere that would require a tow. Hadn't even thought about the possible effects of a weak battery on all the electronics but that's a good point.
    At that price you can be sure you got re-refined engine oil, maybe even locally done...paper coffee filters.

You think a Toyota dealer would use re-refined oil? I know they use NAPA filters instead of Toyota brand but I can't imagine they would use "used" oil since they have a warranty to protect.
  • I replaced my 2001 original battery this month with a WalMart Evermaxx South. The cost was about $75 and the battery got a fairly high rating in consumer reports.
    I plan to go with the Evermaxx North.
    You're assuming something detrimental would happen if re-refined oil were to be used. I wouldn't.

The problem lies in the customer not being informed.
  • I have an '04 4-cylinder. Changing transmission fluid in a general maintenance brochure from my dealer is recommended every 30,000 miles. What does the owner's manual say?
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    What does the owner's manual say?

I too have an 04 4 cyl HL, and the owner's manual says nothing about changing the transmission oil, ever, quite surprising IMO.

Anyone know how easy this is to DIY?