Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,021
    edited March 2010
    Trying the links:

Anyone else having trouble seeing the pics?

Now, someone try the gel toothpaste trick and see which works better. :)

Healing Hazy Headlamps

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jrfierojrfiero Posts: 123
    Thanks for getting those links right, Steve. I'll figure it out next time.

Note on the "after" shot - see those vertical white marks under and in front of the main headlight? They are reflections of the same stair railings which are reflected in the blue paint to the right of the headlight.

I need to bone up on my photography.

Check out Steve's link to Healing Hazy Headlights. Lots of alternatives.
  • shagnatshagnat Posts: 78
    Great job and a tremendous tip!! Thanks for all your help and little tips to make things go better.
  • ohmygoshohmygosh Posts: 66
    I recently purchased a 2010 AWD Limited. I just completed my first tank of gas and registered about 13 mpg. All city stop and start. I haven't had it out on the highway yet. My 2004 highlander averaged 18 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. I am just a little concerned about the low mpg on this first tank, :cry: especially with rising gas prices. The car is rated at 17 and 22. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • edhedh Posts: 246
    2wd gets 19 in around town mixed driving, with a/c on
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Posts: 195
    First tank, city driving, stop/start, and what's sure to still be a winter blend of gasoline... 13 mpg is nothing to worry about. Once you're fully broken in and getting out more, you'll be pleased. My '08 AWD Limited will regularly get about 19/25.
  • I have heard a humming sound, or some kind of sound from the back end of the highlander near the fuel door. The engine is off and the vehicle had not been driven for a couple of hours. What would be running back there? , making that noise. I have never heard this from my camry. Would it be the fuel pump making this noise? ,and if so is this normal?
    Thanks for any help you can give.
  • mrs1964mrs1964 Posts: 8
    Is the key out of the ignition and do you still hear the sound? For how long do you hear the sound?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Fuel tank evaporative/vapor pump will (rarely) run 24/7.
  • tsotsitsotsi Posts: 98
    My '05 Highlander came with a warning sticker to expect those sounds about an hour after shutting off the engine. I can't remember the exact words, but I think it was something about pumping evaporated fuel.
  • tsotsitsotsi Posts: 98
    My earlier post was not accurate and complete. I went back to the owners manual and it says, for the 2AZ-FE engine (which I guess is the '05 4 cylinder since that is what I have):

"Leak detection pump (2AZ-FE engine). This pump performs fuel evaporation leakage check. This check is done approximately five hours after the engine is turned off. So you may hear sound coming from underneath the luggage compartment for several minutes. It does not indicate a malfunction."
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Does the air go from top to bottom or the other way? I ask because the fan is underneath and when I pulled out mine today (2004 Highlander), the underside was dirtier than the top side. I have it installed assuming it went top to bottom but now I'm not sure.
  • edhedh Posts: 246
    top to bottom
  • keithw2keithw2 Posts: 3
    My dealer tells me my L/R wheel bearing is bad and wants about $750 to repair. They say the cost of the bearing is about $650 which of course is ridiculous. Has anyone ever changed one on their own? Do I need to buy both inner and outer bearings? Would left be drivers side or passenger side?
    Thanks,
    Keith
    I've never heard of such. How many miles do you have one it and what year is it?

I've got an '03 and have ZERO issues.
    This is a 2004 Highlander, 6 cyl, 70840 miles. This is the first time I've had anything go wrong with this car. It's been great with great mileage. I'm wondering if the repair cost is so high because the axle has to be replaced. I.E. The bearing is not available by itself?????
    I think you answered your own question. Manufacturers have been doing things like this for a few decades. It lowers their manufacturing costs and cost the customer way more $$ than it should.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My '03 is as your '04, totally trouble free (so far).
    I've found a wheel hub for $254.74. Does anyone know how difficult this installation would be. The car has abs. Any recommendations to find a diagram or manual showing the part? Thanks, Keith
  • ualdepualdep Posts: 3
    edited April 2010
    2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid- 80,000mi. Where is the pcv valve located & what steps are required to get to it? I am fairly good at car repair.
  • jrfierojrfiero Posts: 123
    2001 V6 AWD, 82,000 miles, Mobil 1 since broken in.
    I know these subjects have come up before, and I searched for "oil consumption" and "pcv valve," but no definitive answers.
    I was SHOCKED when my oil light briefly came on when braking to a stop, after a 1300+ mile trip at mostly 79mph. Two quarts of (very expensive) Mobil 1 from the convenience store got it up to a comfortable level.
    So, there have been discussions of high speed oil consumption, and suggestions that the PCV valve was the culprit, but I couldn't find a conclusion that was the case. Anyone have a definitive answer?
    I was going to ask, like ualdep did in 4857, where the pcv valve is, but in 8673, 8684, and 8687 of the generic Highlander discussion there is the answer. Supposed to be threaded into the block at the left rear (after Jan 2001). Since I bought mine in March 2001 it could easily be the earlier design, pushed into a grommet. I have the shop manual, I suppose I could look it up!

Thanks,
    Jonas