Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,035
    I've heard that Johnson Controls makes all the batteries for Walmart. And there's really on two major manufacturers in the US anyway (the other brand name escapes me - Optima?).
  • You are referring to the Kirkland Signature brand?
  • My Toyota dealer said for $100 they would replace and install a
    new TRUStart battery. How are these batteries?
  • I need to replace my tires before winter. I live in Milwaukee so I need all season. It's between the general grabbers or the Michelin ms/2 which are pricey , but great. Any suggestions?
  • The silver plastic piece around the instrument panel by the speedometer tends to rattle while driving. I press on it and it goes away. Any way to try and fix this?
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,555
    G'day

You may find the easiest way is to get a small dab of blutac and push it between the rattling parts. It only need so be a tiny bit.

Cheers

Graham
  • Problem is it's hard for me to exactly know where it's making the rattling noise in the dash.
  • Yes, I was referring to Kirkland Signature brand. You can buy more expensive battery if you want but you'll see no difference.
  • I have a 2004 Toyota Highlander with 93,000 miles. It has been a nice car to drive but very expensive to maintain and repair. I have replaced 7 wheel bearings and the drive shaft to the rear end because of bearings. I owned a Ford previously with 189,000 miles and never had to replace a bearing. Whats up with Toyota?
  • Replaced my 2001 Highlander OEM battery in 2009 with an Everstart South from Walmart. Got a great deal and have had no issues since.
  • tsotsitsotsi Posts: 98
    My 05 Highlander had a bad bearing on the serpentine belt tensioner, causing the belt to fail at only 65,000 miles. Getting a new tensioner, water pump (it was leaking a little) and belt cost more than $800. I imagine the bearings come from the lowest bidder, saving Toyota a little money and costing the owner a lot.

On the other hand, I was sure I had a front wheel bearing going out because of a loud howling noise coming from the front end. Fortunately, I took the car to a private mechanic who took the time to put the Highlander on a lift and spin the front wheels a various speeds -- a method he said would determine whether it was a bearing or not. Turned out the bearings were fine, but Yokohama tires with quite a lot of tread left had become incredibly loud. It seems that Highlanders don't do a very good job of isolating drivers from tire noise. I wonder if all 7 of the wheel bearings that were replaced on your car were really bad.
  • Thanks for the info, worked for me... I cut the wire off the old sensor and used an airhammer to knock the terminal connector off pretty easily. I was then able to slip a 22mm deep socket onto the sensor with a breaker bar removal was simple. I was having problems getting any movement with the combination wrench.
  • Go with the Grabbers. I just put on my wife's MDX and they seem very nice. Michelins are expensive and can blow easy if you rub a curb.
  • I have a 02 Highlander 6 AWD with 89,000 miles. I have babied it and used synthetic oil since breakin. I had not noticed any unusual oil consumption until recently and noticed that the dealer had switched to 0W20 Toyota synthetic oil. I have been using 1 qt / 1,000 miles which, although it is listed as "normal" in the manual I had never experienced before. I just switched to 5W30 (the weight from the manual) Mobil 1 High Mileage and also changed the PCV valve (as some had mentioned this might be related to unusual oil consumption). The PCV valve seemed to move freely . Since the change I have used about 1 quart for 1,800 miles which is a lot better. I have not noticed any blue smoke puffs at startup like I had before. I don't know why the dealer switched to 0W20, which may be the weight for new vehicles but not for mine.
    So since my oil consumption is a lot better I'm sticking with the 5W30 Mobil 1 High Mileage. I'm not sure which was the major contributor, switch from 0W20 to 5W30, switch to Mobil 1 High Mileage or the PCV valve.
  • I also have an 02 hl. where is the pcv valve and can you buy it at a local parts store.

by the way, i have 113000 and no repairs, other than the rear windows don't work. no unusual oil usage. changed oil and fillter every 3k miles or 3 month since new. thanks.rr70
  • Just got the Grabbers for 125 each installed in Pittsburgh. I hav ethem on a Jeep and my son has em on his Ford Escape in Cleveland. I love them
  • jrfierojrfiero Posts: 123
    Please see posts 4858, 4874, and 4964 in this forum.
    To add to 4964, I have taken numerous 1000+ mile round trips since replacing the PCV valve and have experienced no oil consumption between oil changes.
  • To: roadrunner70
    The PCV valve is in the back on the top on the left as you look from front to back. I had the dealer do it and it was not too expensive. Not sure if you can get it at a parts store.
  • Sorry this is not the place for this note..but this is my first post and I was wondering how to private message. I actually had a question for Phil regarding the extended warranty. My question is how do I verify the Toyota Care warranty is legit over the phone. I am planning to buy an Avalon soon. So was wondering about this.

thanks.

WI
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,951
    We don't have a private message feature... You can just ask right here in the forums (just like you did). All of the members can benefit from the conversation.

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs