Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    The battery life indicator indicates ok but there's no indication how much life is left. I can only infer that since it's fully charged, it's not on its last legs.
  • abby1313abby1313 Member Posts: 20
    Not sure what the prior part of this message was about, but let me make a suggestion about the steering wheel "clunk. (I also have an 04). When the factory tires wore out, I put some high performance Michelins on and shortly thereafter felt a "clunk" when I turned sharp right or left. Mechanic couldn't find anything but we think the softer tires give; this is borne out by the fact that the outer edges of those tires wore out after 20,000. (In fact, my highlander sort of "eats" tires!)
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    Your Highlander should never "eat" tires. You have an alignment and front end problem. Fire your mechanic and find a good one who knows what he is doing.
    I have an 04 Highlander with 120,000 miles, and all my Firestone tires (with over 20,000 miles on them) wear perfectly evenly.
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    The Goodyear Integrity tires on my 03 lasted 28000 on mostly hwy driving. Wore on edges. No alignment needed. Went with Coopers and they lasted 30K, then Goodyears different style Fortera Triple tread and got 33K. The last three tire just wore out across the tire not on the edges. My 03 is FWD and I think that has something to do with it.

I also have a Jeep Liberty that has the same Goodyear Forteras and they wore out the same on a rear wheel drive vehicle. Now the Forteras when I bought the had a 70000 mike tread life guarantee. I usually rotate every 5K, and get an oil change at the same time. I don't neglect my cars.

To summarize, all tires today are lousy at wear. Some are actually a fraud.
    I gave up recommending tires a long time ago
    The Goodyear's that came on the car lasted over 40,000. When I went to the Michelin's is when I started to hear the "clunk" on sharp turns. I think they sort of "rolled over" and thus wore out the edges. Then I went to Firestone with no better results. I tried to go back with the original Goodyear but not available so I have something close. I've been religious on rotating them and they are doing a little better. As for the alignment, I have the car aligned every time I put on new tires. And I've used three different garages one of which I'd used for years with my other vehicles. But in reference to one of your comments, I don't consider 20,000 miles to be good at all for the life of a tire.....

Anyway, I was just trying to give a suggestion as to what the "clunk" someone else had might be....
    My 04 Highlander was at about 80,000 and the transmission became sluggish and even wouldn't drop into a lower gear a couple of times. Because I couldn't take off work to sit at the dealership half a day to get it flushed, I picked up the supplies and took to mechanic near my work. I had double the amt. of fluid needed because the dealership actually flushes the system with fluid. Local mechanic drained and replaced fluid and I took all of the extra back for a refund. No problems since. So in terms of cost and just the environment, I wonder how necessary "flushing" vs. draining is....Certainly costs more.
    I replaced my OE Michelins at about 36,000 miles because I got a nail thru the sidewall of one and didn't want to put one new tire with 3 old ones. They probably had another 5000 miles left in them.

I replaced them with Bridgestone Alenzas. They look like new after 8000 miles.
    Has anyone used General Grabbers HTS on their Highlander?
  • davidc4607davidc4607 Member Posts: 4
    I have Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza on my 2004 Highlander. They are rated at 65,000 miles and are doing quite well. I have about 30,000 miles on them so far and they still look pretty new. They are priced a good bit higher than the competitors, but they are well worth the $$. (P225/65R17)
  • nissan1207nissan1207 Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

I have driven about 3750 miles in my new 09 highlander after having bought it last May. when should i take it for my first service?

Please let me know.

Thanks.
    I would get the oil changed between 4 and 5000 miles. Look at your service book for recommended intervals . Follow the book or find them online at toyota.com/owners. Some dealers try to sell increased "visits" and I don't think you need to do that. Just follow the book. :)
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    Like Nissan said, follow the recommended schedule in the back of your owner's manual religiously and you can't go wrong. BTW, your first recommended service is an oil change and tire rotation at 5000 miles.
  • robnadarrobnadar Member Posts: 6
    After the "oil maintenance required" message popped up in my Multi-Information Display, I had my dealer to do oil maintenance last Saturday. On Sunday and Monday the alarm went off for 4 times. Every time I had to use the remote to stop it. It never happened before in my 18 months of ownership. Just wondering whether this has to do with the visit to the Dealer.

Any reply / information will highly be appreciated.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I have driven about 3750 miles in my new 09 highlander after having bought it last May. when should i take it for my first service?

Read and understand your owner's manuals, that information is in there. If you're not familiar with it and you go to the dealer for service, you will end up having all kinds of un-necessary maintenance done.
    Your dealer should reset it for you during service. Mine always has.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I think he means the intrusion alarm...
  • mpolanmpolan Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know how the side mirror defrosts work or have a schematic? My driver's side mirror doesn't heat up and I can only find 3 wires going to the mirror - which seem to be for the adjusting motors.

Apologies if this is a repeat - I thought I'd asked this before but couldn't find my original post.
  • robnadarrobnadar Member Posts: 6
    Sorry, I should have been more descriptive. I meant Burglar or intrusion alarm.
  • shoreladyshorelady Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2008 highlander. Hopefully it is the same.The manual says.
    1. On cars with manual air conditioning system. Turn on the rear window defogger. it is located on the bottom right of dash
    2. Cars with automatic air conditioning system also turn on rear defogger. This shows !!! plus mirrors on control..
    Both run about 15 mins & shut off

Hope this helps
  • highlander415highlander415 Member Posts: 1
    How much?
    What engine size?
    Base or Limited?
    1-owner?
    Smoked in?
    Any body work?
    Power seat?
    JBL stereo?
    Steering wheel radio buttons?
    Cloth or leather?
    etc. thanks :D:)
  • steves8steves8 Member Posts: 11
    this might be a repeat send to you
    close to book value
    3.4L
    base
    yes
    never
    no
    yes, every way
    no, regular Toyota single CD player/radio
    no
    cloth, tan/beige/camel whatever
    dark red paint
    I'm too tall for this car, it operates flawlessly, newish tires on factory alloys
  • brookzebrookze Member Posts: 1
    I just had my rear left and right wheel bearing replaced by my dealer this week.

My Highlander is a 2004 with 66500KM.

The Left side was so lose and loud that they did not discover the right side until they test drove it after replacement of the left side, then they scheduled me to replace the right side.

I have extended coverage so it was covered, but apparently it would have cost me big time.

Sounds and runs great now, hope these bearings last more than 60000km
  • sergejsergej Member Posts: 2
    Hi from Russia:
    Sorry for the potential repeat, but I skimmed this forum over all topics raised about whining at speed and failed to find a suitable remedy.
    I bought my 4WD 2.4 - 05HL couple years ago with 25Kml and have now 57Kml. At about 40 Kml I began to notice some annoying whining sound from under the car at 35-45 km/h speed regardless of AC on/off and at any AT selector position except for the R and N – neutral. In my case the whining does not change with engine RPM and car turnings that makes alternator belt and wheel bearings being innocent Replacement of fluids in transfer case, rear differential and automatic transmission did not eliminate the problem. As of now, I suspect that transmission is to blame since sound comes off instantly when I set up selector to N. Sound sometimes is variable (something like “whioo –whioo-whioo”) especially when I take my foot off the gas and coast within the above speed range.
    I would appreciate any suggestions and experience in this acoustic issue.
  • edhedh Member Posts: 246
    when car is cold spray the underside of the car and all running gear with water to see if the noise change
  • sergejsergej Member Posts: 2
    I did it with silicon spray the other days - no change in whining sound. I wash my car regularly from underside also due to salt used in our northern area - no change also.
    Nevertheless, thanks for reply.
  • paulct1paulct1 Member Posts: 1
    hello...did you ver find out the problem...I'm having the same noise.

paulct1
  • rzepa1rzepa1 Member Posts: 55
    Anyone replaced cabin filter yet ? Is it behind the glove box ? If so, how one goes about removing glove box ? I have 2008 HL.
  • byumgrbyumgr Member Posts: 14
    Open the glove box completely. Push inward on both sides at the back and you should be able to lift out the glove box to get at the cabin filter.
    I am planning to suck the brake fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir of my 2004 Highlander and refill with fresh. I know it would be better to bleed the system but that's a hassle and over time the fresh fluid will mix with the old fluid and refresh it somewhat. I can repeat the process in a couple months and refresh it again.

There's a "strainer" (for lack of a better term) in the opening of the reservoir. I can't quite tell how it's attached but it doesn't respond to a light tug nor is there anything obvious to grab to get it out. Has anyone removed this and if so, how does it come out?
    Upon closer examination, I see that the strainer can be removed by lifting it slightly and rotating about 1/4 turn.
  • cncf10cncf10 Member Posts: 1
    How do you know when it is time to replace the timing belt? I have 80,000 miles on my 2004 highlander and the dealer has been telling me for months now to have it replaced.
    Start looking for a deal at a dealer. I replaced mine @ 90000 along w/water pump
    That was 2 years ago for about 650.00 for both. Sometimes the dealers have coupons online or in the mail.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Your dealer has a kid, or kids, in college and needs your money to pay their tuition. Keep your money for your own kids and ignore the timing belt issue until at least 150,000 miles. The 90,000 miles estimate was established way back in the last century, late '80's, when timing belts were fairly new to the automotive industry.

I know of at least 2 LS400's, a 91 and a 92, that have over 200,000 miles and still going strong with factory original belts.

Not a recommendation for others, mind you.
  • alotawattsalotawatts Member Posts: 44
    Ignoring the timing belt until 150k miles with an 'interference engine is 'dicey' in my book !
  • phrosutphrosut Member Posts: 122
    You can go to Gates.com and put in the specifics for your car and learn whether or not it has an interference engine.

My '03 HL V6 3.0 is NOT an interference engine according to Gates. I did not query any other year models or engines.

Phil
  • budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    I didn't replace the timing belt in my 2002 V6 Highlander until after 155,000 miles -- because I knew it was a NON-interference engine. The worst that would happen is that it would die on the side of the road. (I had it replaced right before the nasty winter weather hit last year.)

Bud H
  • sdesde Member Posts: 42
    Anyone,

We have an '05 Highlander Limited with approximately 45K miles. All of a sudden, I've noticed that the Passenger "Airbag ON" light intermittently blinks on and off, even though there is no passenger in the car. I have nothing on the passenger seat, and the airbag malfunction warning light itself is not illuminated. All that's happening is that the "Airbag ON" light stays on for a few seconds, then goes off, then goes back on... etc, at seemingly irregular intervals. I looked under the seat, and I see no objects that might interfere with the seat sensor.

When an adult sits in the passenger seat, the "Airbag ON" light stays on, and when my six-year-old sits in the seat (only as a test), the "Airbag OFF" light stays on. So that's all good news. I'm concerned, however, that when the seat is empty, the "Airbag ON" light blinks on and off. I would have expected that an empty passenger seat should result in neither light being on.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much!

David
  • sdesde Member Posts: 42
    A correction to my previous post... it's the "Airbag OFF" light that keeps blinking, not the "Airbag ON" light. Everything else I wrote is correct. Sorry for the confusion...

David
  • dieselclydedieselclyde Member Posts: 8
    Do any readers on this forum know how to access behind the radio and HVAC controls? How does one remove the grills and radio to get access to the "guts " of the systems under the dashboard? My car rattles or cracks when we experience cold temps, particularly on washboard roads I suspect the vent ducts are rubbing on one another. Really irritating noise. Thanks in advance. Diesel Clyde
  • tsotsitsotsi Member Posts: 98
    It sounds like you have two issues -- cold temps and rattles. If by "cold temps" you mean the heat control knob doesn't have any effect, you should pull off the black heat control knob (it pulls straight off) and make sure the lock nut is tight. Sometimes the nut is loose and the control wiggles back and forth and the wires break. This has been discussed earlier in this forum.

If you just want to get behind the controls, the silver (on my car) bezel (that surrounds the radio, heat, clock, air outlets, etc) is held by spring clips and pops right off. Best to be careful not to break the clips or scratch anything.

Your car should still be under warranty and I would advise giving the dealer a shot first. If something is broken . . . or you break something . . . you are going to need parts and they are outrageously expensive. The work isn't particularly hard, but can be a bit tricky if you haven't done it before.
  • rl newbierl newbie Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2009 Highlander with Nav and Bluetooth. My Verizon Blackberry 8830 (World) phone connects but people say I sound very far away. Toyota swapped out the built-in microphone, which did not help. They say the problem is my phone, but it works fine in my other car.

Does anyone have this combo working ? Anyone else having Bluetooth sound quality problems?
  • worthfloridaworthflorida Member Posts: 23
    2003 V6 FWD with 94K on the clock just started a very small oil leak. It's between the engine and the transmission. For the last 50K I've used Mobil 1 oil and changed it about every 5000-7000 miles. Right now I'm at 7000 on the oil. I'm suspecting it's the rear crankshaft seal. Next week I'm getting the timing belt changed.

Has anyone have had this problem?
  • mrs1964mrs1964 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 V6 FWD with 69000 miles. I also use Mobile 1 (fully synthetic) and change it every 5000 miles. I have not experienced any leaks. When you get your timing belt changed can you please post how much it cost you and where you got it changed. Also, will you replace the water pump when you replace the timing belt?
    When I need to I use a repair shop right up the street at the shopping center at US441/SR7 and Lake Worth Rd., Lake Worth, Florida and I've known the manager for about 9 years. Very straight forward and honest. He gave me a price of about $700 for the timing belt, water pump and tensioner plus the two outer belts. Although it is not necessary all mechanics recommend that the water pump be changed and some will say that the engine seal be changed. The usual charge is in the $800 range. Just the timing belt maybe $400-$500. This is what I do not like about overhead cam engines, especially Asian made that there is this big expense. There are a few that use a chains and the standard push rod engine that do not need this done but at times the chain does wear out and stretch. This then impacts performance, emissions and gas mileage where as timing belts do not stretch but just break.
  • grammargrammar Member Posts: 2
    I closed the rear hatch of my 2007 Toyota Highlander on a blanket, and now it's jammed. The remote locks and unlocks the door, but the latch will not open. I extracted as much of the stuck blanket as possible, but it didn't help. Is there a way to open up the lock from the inside? Thanks!
    From the inside you might be able to get under the door panel to pull it off so you can get to the latch.

Maybe by pushing down on the hatch it might get the latch to bottom out so it will then back off to unlatch itself. After you have tried all mechanical means try squirting alot of liquid soap at the latch and soak the remaining blanket. It might just allow things to slide around a bit. But do not do it if it is freezing or very cold. If it is put vehicle in the garage and get out a hair dryer to keep things warm and the soap thin.
  • grammargrammar Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem on my 07 Highlander, and the dealer has never been able to find it. The rattle starts when the temps drop below 40 or so. Very annoying. Mine sounds like it's coming from somewhere near the steering column, though. Had the same problem on 2 Camry wagons! Good luck.
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    Duct tape some blanket and cardboard on the INSIDE of the rear hatch door under the glass. This will give some protection to the door panel for the next step. Then have an assistant lay on their back in the back of the vehicle and try to kick the hatch door open with their boots, as you try to unlock the door. The jarring and vibration may be enough to open the latch. If that is does not work at first, you might try pushing the hatch IN from the outside, THEN try to kick it OUT. It may loosen the blanket material enough to allow the latch to open.
    Then, when (not if) that doesn't work, call your glass guy to replace the rear glass and an ambulance for your assistant who's put his foot through it and is bleeding. :surprise:
  • coran2maxqcoran2maxq Member Posts: 1
    driver side of the vechicle was shaking like the wheel was out of balance, so i went to the shop. they raised on the lift and spun the wheels and driver side wheel did not spin and i was told that caliper is jammed...and i need a new caliper...is it a correct assumption? if i need new one...would i be able to rebulid it or is it just cost and time effective to replace it new one?