Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• blewdogblewdog Posts: 3
    I just picked up my new 2006 HH in Dallas last weekend and drove it back to the bay area. The car is fantastic all round but during the long drive back I experienced two annoying rattles in the car. The first, and most annoying, is coming from the area right by the driver side seatbelt height adjuster by the driver's left ear. It is a frequent and "fast" rattling sound that is not so loud but it being right next to my ear drives me nuts. The other rattle seems to be coming from the roof from the passenger side second or third row area. I do have the rear spoiler so I might try giving a wing adjustment a try. Does anybody else have any suggestions on isolating/fixing these two rattles?
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    I believe you said earlier that you were running with somewhere around 40 psi in the tires. First, try lowering that to 35..makes a big difference in the ride quality, (read much less harsh) which just may stop the rattles....and then again, it may need a trip to the local dealer

Jeff
  • I assume you are wearing your seatbelt in this case. But I get rattles from the unbuckeled ones -- most often front passenger -- caused by the metal insert bumping up against the side of the car. It's not easy to adjust the position of the thing unless there's a rear-seat passenger.
  • mrwbmrwb Posts: 1
    While changing the brakes on my Highlander I also checked the condition of
    the air filter. The next day the VSC and Engine check light came on. After
    checking this forum I found the problem which was one of the vacuum lines
    on the air box came off and also found a fix on the Highlander FAQ to reset
    the Engine check light. I can not believe how poorly engineered the vacuum
    connector is on the air cleaner. Thanks for the help.
  • Help! I'm desperate. Have a '02 Highlander, Ltd. with the garage door opener on the driver's side. Started coming down about a year and a half ago. Now are both at the point where the slightest bump causes them to drop down. Dealer will do nothing. Have contacted salvage yards nationally via the internet. No luck. Does anybody have any ideas? New one with the opener lists at $700+.

Also, has anybody had any experience with mirror extenders for towing? Looking for something solid. Any help would be appreciated.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Velcro.........
  • jrfierojrfiero Posts: 123
    My driver's visor started doing that almost immediately when new (2001), and the dealer replaced the whole thing under warrantee. Yours should, too, as long as you first brought the issue up while the vehicle was still under the bumper to bumper warrantee.
  • You know if you can't get it covered by warranty. try velcro, you won't see it when visor is up. that would work
    You could try wraping a small piece of tape, maybe cloth tape... same or similar color to sunvisor, around the inboard piece where it clips to the holder in the roof. I'm not explaining this very well, but this is the small piece of plastic about the diamiter of a pencil, and only an inch or so long, near the center mirror. This would give the visor some more friction, to stay in place. Worth a try?
  • Unfortunately, we obliterated the 36K in about 18 months and, of course, the problem arose shortly after that.
  • That's the first thing we tried. Worked for about a week, but apparently the heat build-up eventually breaks down the adhesive, and now we've got a gooey mess. But thanks for the input.
  • You explained it just fine and it's certainly worth a try. At this point, I would try a stick of dynamite, if I thought it would do any good. My wife is so frustrated that she has already informed me that this is our last Toyota. Thanks for the response.
    It should be really easy to replace the velcro's adhesive with a dab of epoxy.
  • Just bought '03 HL and have seen several posts about normalization of sunroof. Can someone tell me because haven't had time to find it in the book, how we know if this was done by previous owner? When I press button to open sunroof, the roof opens completely with just one touch and closes the same way so is it already normalized? :confuse:

I had a sunroof on previous Explorer and it was a pain to be sure the thing was completely shut so I would like to take care of this right away.

Thanks
    The "normalization" procedure applies to 2004 and later models. Your 2003 doesn't need it, as it is appaently "built in to the car" at the factory. Don't know why they made this change with the 2004 models, but you should be good to go as is. I ought to know, as I have a 2003 and a 2005!

Congrats on yourpurchase, and stay in touch these boards are a lot of help and fun as well.
  • These boards have been a great source of info. Any other info you can share about the 2003 would be more appreciated. Any problems or quirks. We bought ours used with 46,200 miles and the previous owner said they owned 2 HL's as well. Also said majority of miles were highway. Considered ext warr that was offered but was advised probably not worth the money since HL's are pretty reliable. So I was curious with 2 HL's what your opinion was about problems.

And thanks for the sunroof info. Only thing ours doesn't have that I would like is heated seats but got everything else we wanted so can't complain.
  • Have you noticed any wind noise at the driver's side door? I have a 2003 and I have to bump the window switch a little so the window will go down from full close to prevent wind noise.
    That and the steering are the two things I don't like about mine but over all it's been a great vechile for 28000 miles.....
    I had that problem on my 2003, which I bought new , and the dealer fixed it..there was a gap at the molding where the door meets the widow, at elbow height. When i would bump the window down a quarter of an inch, it would close the gap...I don't know how they fixeed it, but they did. I THINK there is a TSB on it now....
    only problem I had with the 03 was a slight wind noise at drivers door..see post above for details.
  • Sorry, what does "TSB" stand for?
  • Is there really a tbs for this?--wind noise............
    yes..here is the info...

NV002-05
    Title:
    DOOR WIND NOISE IMPROVEMENT
    Models:
    '01 - '05 Highlander
    February 10, 2005
    Introduction
    Some vehicles may exhibit wind noise coming from both the front and rear door window glass. The following repair has been developed to improve this condition.
    Applicable Vehicles
    ^ 2001 - 2005 model year Highlander vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change

Involves replacing the door trim molding
  • Is it possible that some of the wind noise that people hear is coming from the cross bars on the luggage rack? This happened on my mom's van and she just took the bars off since she never uses the rack anyway and this helped a lot with the noise.

Also how would someone who has purchased a used HL know if the services have been performed on their vehicle. I hate to think you are supposed to "assume" the dealer took care of it. :confuse:
  • I have 100k on my 2003 V6. I hope to replace the timing chain soon - I think manual suggests 80k. Anyone had any experience or problems and at what mileage??
    on my 1992 LS400 was replaced at 153,000 miles and looked as if it was good for another 150k.
  • I need to add some antifreeze coolant (In radiator) to my Toyota Highlander. The color has a red color. Are there any comparable brands in a regular auto parts store such as PepBoys? I'd like to avoid buying it from the dealer due to the cost. But it seems to be hard to find coolant with red color. Most are green or yellow. I was told one could only find red ones from Toyota dealers. Any suggetions would be appreciated.
    simply add water and then check the freeze level for "compatibility" with your region.
  • Prestone makes a 50/50 pre-mixed for All makes, All Models, All Colors. About a year ago I inquired about the Toyota red at my dealer and he said he could order it - but the price was sky high!
  • Can anyone tell me if there is anything we need to do for the auto dimming mirror with compass and outside temp to work?

If we push the "comp" button the compass/temp display shows, and then once it is on, if we push the "temp" button it goes off and visa versa. So why the 2 buttons for the same thing and does the auto dimming feature work automatically or is there something we need to do to control the intensity of headlights it senses?

May sound like a dumb question but have never had an auto dimming mirror and know from experience salesman unfortunately don't know about all the options on vehicles.