Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• dgraves1dgraves1 Posts: 414
    That's not going to hack it in Florida. I've gotten convertible rental cars in Florida in the summer and you might be able to put the roof down at 10 o'clock at night with the AC on full blast. During the day, the AC couldn't keep up even with the roof closed (this was in Sebrings, of course, not Miatas).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I know what you mean. Rented one in Orlando a few years back, drove it to Cocoa Beach and back. Had to stop and put the top up to get cool enough.

-juice
    Orlando to Cocoa Beach? That's my route!
    Yep, I think you see the Kennedy Space Center en route, is that what I think I saw? Plus the cruise ship ports.

Nice drive but too straight to be ideal for a Miata. I love that speed limits in Florida are reasonable, too.

-juice
  • North Georgia is not quite as hot as Florida, but we have to keep the top up June, July, August days. I suppose tan top / tan interior is better than black in keeping the heat down. Florida is brutal in the summer.
    Ateixeira - Yep, that's KSC. The huge building you can see from the Beeline is the VAB (Vertical Assembly Building) where they prepare the Shuttle for launch (It was built for the Saturn V, which is why it's so huge). Most of the launch pads you see are actually on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.
    The cruise ship terminals are pretty new. I remember watching them building them a few years ago. I wondered if they would be successful. I guess they are, they keep building new ones.
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    My wife and I took a Miata North through the Sierras in late September '99 for our honeymoon. After hitting Lake Tahoe we headed East through the Central Valley toward Napa Valley.

We had to put the top up and really crank the a/c daytime in the Valley which is basically a desert in the late summer and early fall.

Anyone making that trip should time to drive through the Valley at night when it is often 20 to 40 degrees cooler than the day.

Napa Valley and the surrounding mountains (during the week, when the crowds are not there) is about as perfect a Miata drive as you can find.
  • Finally got my car out of the repair shop. The bumper looks great and the shop also buffed out a couple of scratches for me. You know on a black car you don't want scratches!!!! I got to enjoy the top down yesterday on the way home from work, but now that it's the weekend, it's raining. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to admire my little toy car sitting in the garage.
  • bjrichbjrich Posts: 125
    After the run down Arkansas 7 in two weeks, (getting close now) we are making plans for a top down run for a week from St. Lo to Savannah-Charlston area for sight seeing. We have heard soo much about this area and are looking forward to visiting and sightseeing. (anyone make any recommends as to lodging or such for this area?)
    We now have 12 cars for the Arkansas run and pray for nice weather. We have earmarked Mt. Nebo for a definite run....great 5 mph switchbacks ending in a large plateau about 2500 ft up overlooking a hugh valley and mountains. Can get a nice tail slide making the switchbacks in low and pushing that little pedal as you crank the steerng wheel...Mrsbjrich thinks this is not such a great way to drive.
    By the way, just put an Eagle One brand of paste carnuba on the Crystal Blue, over the Mcquires clean and wax, andthe body is really sharp. We shall slide thru the wind with ease...
    Got a big birthday coming up and look forward to many more years with Mrsbjrich and Crystal Blue. We have had it just one year and it shows 17,200. I do get the clutch shudder some mornings. but not worried..if it goes, it goes, and if Mazda stands behind it fine.....if not, fine too.
    Hopeing to hear some nice info about the Savannah area from some Miata folks..Take care. Bob
    Napa is beautiful, but all I could rent at the time was a Sunfire convertible. Even in that it was fun, I can imagine in a Miata.

-juice
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I've decided to replace the original top on my 92 Miata. I'm going to order a Robbins top with the rain rail already installed and then install the top myself. I'm thinking about getting the tan top since my car is red and it would look real sharp. However, I'm worried that the tan will show dirt more, stain easier, and be harder to keep clean. Anyone with a tan top that can comment on this? Black tops in Florida have their own downfalls: fade and shrinkage from the extreme heat. Would the tan top keep the interior a little cooler? Anyone had any problems with the Robbins tops? Any specific place have cheaper prices? All insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • Sure you don't want to have a shop put your top on for you? I understand it is a bear.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Yea, I'm sure. I can't afford the $200 to let someone else do it and I'm tired of having to throw on the hardtop everytime it threatens to rain. Besides, most reviews I read said it took them between 6-8 hours to do by themselves with no prior eperience. I will have someone helping me who is very mechanically inclined so I expect it to take about 5-6 hours. A day's work basically. Not a big deal when I look at how much money I'm saving. So far the best price I have found is $359.55 from mmmiata.com (which is $30-40 cheaper then everyone else). Anyone know of one that is cheaper without being the economy version?
    I have a tan top and the previous owner sort of let it go without cleaning it often. So yes, it does stain and look old, though at least the plastic window is still transparent.

I tried to detail it with a toothbrush, but no luck. I imagine the stains have had plenty of time to set.

I'm not sure how it would look if I had been cleaning it since the beginning.

-juice
    It has been one year and he tan top look just like new.
    However, the entire car looks just like new.
    I would say that if you plan to take care of you car with routine washings, the tan top will hold up fine. My car is also garaged at nite.
    I think I make decent effort to keep after things like that. It is really sortof a necessary option if you care to keep the top looking good, as welll as the rest of the car. I would think a black top can get pretty ugly if you do not take care of it.
    Getting anxious for the Arkansas run. Take care you guys...one weekto go. Bob
  • knhillknhill Posts: 33
    I have a 99 with ~29k on the odo and I just found holes in my third top! In each case, the holes about eight inches behind the vertical center of the door windows. They look like some rough spot on the top frame is cutting each time I raise or lower the top. I can't find any trouble when I'm raising and lowering and feeling for the rough spot.

The first time, the dealer replaced just the top. The second time, the dealer replaced the top and the frame - I thought that would get it. I don't know what they will think this time. It looks like something I am doing but I can't imagine what. I always raise and lower from the driver's seat. Any ideas? Has anyone else had this happen?
    Are you unzipping the window before lowering the top? That sounds strange since you replaced the frame. My '93 has the original top still.

-juice
  • knhillknhill Posts: 33
    No zipper on 99.
    Take it to a good trim shop and have them look at it, and then take that information to the dealer....In this area, take it to Hy-Tech Trim Shop in Columbia, Il.
    Find a busy and active trim shop, and that will tell your if they are good.
    Good luck! Bob
    I stand corrected.

Are you lowering it and raising it too quickly? Maybe the top is getting pinched or something.

-juice