Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

1138139140141142144»

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,436
    Excellent info - thanks. These boots along with original fluid may very well fix everything.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited October 2013
    Just use regular gear oil, 75w90 IIRC.

It's usually liquid smooth because...well, because it's literally bathed in oil.
    That is what I was expecting. It gets better when warmed up. Must be low on oil or wrong viscosity or gummed up or something.

My '13 Accord has never felt so smooth and silent and gigantic as it does after driving a Miata for a few days. The Miata sure is a lot of fun though - basically a time machine.
    edited October 2013
    As luck would have it a friend who drives a '93 miata 5 speed stopped by the office and I took a test drive. His transmission felt the same. I am probably just too used to the Accord which is almost effortless and has a longer throw. It practically takes the shift lever from you and sucks it in as you are placing it into gear.

Either that or both Mazdas need new oil and/or boots. May be the case as they are both fairly old and probably both have never had the transmission fluid changed. My main concern was that it might be the synchronizers going (my '90 Integra with 235k miles is starting to suffer from this), but that is probably not the case given the mileage. Both are under 50k miles
    Long throws give you leverage so less force is required.

But then you have to move your elbow. :D
    Juice - still have your Miata or did you sell it?
    Still have the 2008 PRHT.

I miss my '93 some times...it was much simpler, lighter, more open.
    edited October 2013
    Wound up getting the '95 montego blue NA.

What a blast.
  • I just bought a 97 Miata M from my 6'1 husband. He had one when he was a bit younger and adored it, but now he has leg and back problems. He did not fit in the new modal - 97 was the last of old modal. I am 5'3 and it is just perfect with the seat pulled up all the way forward.

You had to buy it from him? Couldn't he just let you drive it? ;)

Or did you buy it for him?