Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• dgraves1dgraves1 Posts: 414
    And, if not, there's always the passenger seat.
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Posts: 376
    I just found a picture of a miata on the web with the trunk open and a golf bag inside :-)
  • Vic, back on may 23, 1999 you had a post(now in the archives of topic # 25) regarding see a "golden yellow miata in Europe and in "sales brochures". I have a 2000 LS Evolution on order. Is this(you can compare with the 2000 model yr sales brochures and on-lines photos) the same "animal"? I could not locate your e-mail address to correspond directly with you.

ira
  • on second line "see" should have been "seeing"
    I had pretty much decided that either the Celica or Prelude would be my next car. This was after considering the VR6, Integra, Mustang, Cougar etc. I never thought of the Mazda. I went to the autoshow and sat in it and was amazed at the quality, so I had to test drive it myself and found that suddenly the other cars I was considering seemed rather clumsy. Then I researched it on the web and couldn't find a bad word about it. Well, my mind is made up and when I do trade in my car, Miata will be it.

Anyway, because I missed the entire first Miata section, and I don't want to read all those posts, maybe someone can tell me something I can't seem to find anywhere on the web. How is the Roof? Does it like in light rain? Pouring rain? Car wash? I'm also curious as to how it does in the snow. I can't see it being that bad with snow tires considering the good weight balance.
    that would be leak in the rain :-/
  • jc9799jc9799 Posts: 70
    Never had a problem with my Miata leaking. From I've read, the seals around the soft top are pretty water tight. Avoid automatic car washes.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    light rain, fine. Downpour, fine. Car wash, bad news (or so I've heard).

In fact, in light rain there's no reason to put the top up so long as you plan to stay over 25 mph and don't have a stop light to worry about, I've found.

Snow tires are essential, most people feel, if you're going to spend much time in poor weather. The rwd & light weight make for great donuts though if there's no other traffic around.

I assume you know this: but plan to keep the revs up. The whole car is happier above 3500 rpm. (Another reason bad weather can be bad in this car.)

Enjoy.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    Ground clearance is probably another problem. I don't care how good of snow tires you have, if you start dragging the chassis through the deep stuff it's only a matter of time until you get stuck.

-Colin
  • squid65squid65 Posts: 2
    Since sitting in an orange 2000 miata at the car show, I can't stop thinking about buying one.The big problem is that my pocketbook would force me to use it all year long. I live near Toronto, Ontario and salt is used in the winter. Two questions? How do would the car fare with regard to rust and can I keep it outside in the winter.I plan to rustcheck the hell out of it but would hate to see roadsalt age such a beautiful car. Any advice would be appreciated.
    I live in toronto, and have just gone through the same thing. The miata, though rwd, shouldn't be too bad in snow because the engine is very light, and it's not like we get all that much snow (plus that increased snow removal budget)

Two things to keep in mind. First, get a pop top for it, they are not very expensive and will increase the life of your rag top. Two, the miata will not be worse then any other car for rust, make sure you buy it rust proofed, and get it oiled for about a hundred bucks every fall. Also purchase a good set of winter tires, and a compact snowbrush to save space in the trunk.
    Rustproofing? I don't know about that -- there are mixed reviews on whether it helps or actually adds to the problem. I'd check it out.

As for the obsession part: you might try Edmund's famous 12-step program!

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    winterizing the miata:

you also need a shovel (go to a army surplus store, the folding military shovel is great) and a bag of kitty litter, the kind with big pebbles. and of course a warm jacket or blanket, put it all in the trunk.

the problem that can't be addressed is that the miata's very low ground clearance is a real risk of getting stuck in deep snow, especially if you happen to leave the road surface. the best snow tires can't help you then, only a big truck can.

-Colin
    Nah, if he's driving around the city, there shouldn't be any problem, and most people have cell phones these days. As I've said, Toronto winters are not bad at all, rarely more then an inch or two of snow on the road, and its usually plowed fairly quickly (maybe not as quick out in the suburbs)

I do recommend not buying any addon skirt packages, which do get ruined easily in the winter.
  • squid65squid65 Posts: 2
    I just got back from the dealer , test drove an automatic ,they had three all auto,what's the point? Not sure about the colour seemed more gold than orange this time. I am definitely sold on the ride and handling. The car had more leg and head room than my 85'RX7 , a little tight for the left leg. I was only able to try the car with the hard top on, any idea if there is less headroom with the convertible top up? One last question; is the bulk of the winter wear on a convertible top from salt, and ice or from shrink and swell due to temperature extremes. Thanks again for the advice.
  • geemahgeemah Posts: 5
    Just got back fromt he dealer today. I'm in love! Gotta get the Miata! I had a 92 Miata, but sanity and kids dictated a change! Poof! Life change! Got another car! Back to the magical world of Miata. Question is how much is an appropriate amount? I'm looking for a 2000 Miata LS. Anyone willing to share actual prices paid and not just percentages...and yes, I've read the Edmunds report. Thanks in advance for help!
  • Darwin, where are those dealers with LS evolution gold automatics in stock?.. none here: southeast Florida

ira
  • iforgotitiforgotit Posts: 11
    I from Toronto and am interested in purchasing a Miata. Do you know the dealer invoice for the leather package? Also, do you know if the the leather package is equilvalent to the US sport package, ie. comes with Bilstein shocks? Thanks.
  • I'm a newbie here and planning to buy a miata thru' e-bay listings. I bid 20K for the following item and think that I got one hecka a deal, what do you guys/gals think?

'99 Miata - only 4500 miles...equipped with a professionally installed Jackson
    (Sebring) SUPERCHARGER ! This is a very special one of a kind black Miata with
    tan leather. 5 speed manual, power EVERYTHING...windows, locks, antenna,
    mirrors, icy cold air, cruise, AM/FM/CD/Tape, ABS, Cobra alarm, Stainless sills,
    luggage rack, wood dash, wood shifter, wood brake handle, fogs, molded mud
    guards, bra, custom made Aero type fiberglass boot, BSP duals, stainless high
    flow grill, air horns, custom made tan embroidered black floor and trunk mats,
    and a Mazda winter cover.
  • wdrwdr Posts: 11
    I'm looking for some info on Miata leases. I'm interested in the base model with suspension pkg. Does anyone have any idea of the residuals or money factors on Miatas? Or care to share what they are paying for their lease?
  • mculikmculik Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing either a 1999 Miata 10th Anniversary Edition or a 1999 Ford Mustang Cobra Convertible. I have not yet test driven the Miata, but I have been in the Mustang. I had a really good time and I burnt some rubber, and did a couple of shifts while holding the throttle wide open and then dumping the clutch. I was wondering if the Miata has a clutch "grippy" enough and a driveshaft and rear-end strong enough to do perfrom those manuevers. Can the 119 lb/ft of torque the car produces even break the rear-end loose? Also, can you hang the tail out in the Miata by just flooring it like you can with the Ford?

Thanks to anyone who answers!!!
    How much difference is there? I have test driven the miata a couple of times with the upgrade, never without. I will be buying one slightly used, and I see the one without the upgrade most often. Should I excercise patience and hold out for one with the upgrade?
    Most people are pretty happy with the standard setup. Since you haven't driven it, why not try it out and then decide?

In any case, it isn't rocket science to make the mods yourself if you decide that suits you.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • dominicdominic Posts: 8
    Wife is taking delivery of 2000 MIata LS w/ appearance package late March / Early April. Under $22K! Anyone have a suggestion on a good rack? Or, is this the wrong car to haul bikes?
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Posts: 506
    The sport suspension makes the car far grippier. Fatter tires and far grippier rubber (the Pilot SX GT's are a high performance tire compared to the middling all-season tires on the standard 14" wheels)

The beauty of the standard setup is that you can induce some sliding if you induce some oversteering. Because of the Miata's balanced handling, you can choose to do this during aggressive cornering and then recover easily. With the sport package tires, the car doesn't slide as easily, but when it breaks lose, it usually does so more suddenly, Since you are cornering at a higher rate because of your speed, it is harder to recover. For this reason, most people find the standard package more rewarding because you can induce/control/recover from sliding with more ease. Also, the narrower tires help it track better when there are ruts on the road. And the car may ride better if the roads are potholed because of the higher profile in the standard wheel.
    It's is unlikely you'll be able to perform any of the same tricks with the Miata that you did in the Cobra. It's much harder to break the rear end lose on the Miata. Although you'll get some degree wheelspin on a Miata if you dump the clutch...it doesn't have anywhere near the power to do musclecar activities such as leaving a trail of rubber or break the rear end wildly loose. If this is your idea of fun, I suspect that you'll be plenty disappointed in a Miata.

Where the Miata beats a Mustang is in its go-kart feel. Imagine driving a go-kart on a track that has five foot radius hairpin turns. The go-kart is speed limited to 30 mph. You enter the corner at top speed, pick your line. The go-kart plows ahead a bit and you're losing your line. You lift your throttle a bit and the rear end starts coming around, you crank your steering toward your line, the whole car starts to do a four wheel drift, you get back into the throttle and masterfully resume your line. You are now having fun! With the Miata, you can perform tricks like this without having to go 100mph. The Miata feels like that go-kart, it's so small that you feel like you are directly connected to the road, the steering is precise, the car is balanced and obeys your every command. You can slide and recover from your slides with the ease that you've seen on TV car chases.
  • geemahgeemah Posts: 5
    Has anyone else noticed that the NEW LS package on the Miata has a lot more standard equipment on it then it did a month ago? Standard equipment includes the appearance package, AC and fog lights! Anyone know why? Plus....the price came down by $450!!!! Please explain! I'm buying one next week!
  • karl1973karl1973 Posts: 89
    The only reason I can think of is that Mazda is trying to keep in pace with the Toyota MR-2 Spyder. For roughly the same price, you get more content with the MR-2 (that is before Mazda decided to change their pricing on Miata.)
    I don't think it would really make a difference though. There will only be 5000 MR-2 this year and the number is too few to really compete. And I'd imagine Toyota dealers will put a hefty markup on the ones they can get their hands on. I think all of them have been spoken for already (a friend just bought a Celica and he told me, the dealer he visited is going to get only one MR-2 and a few people have already put money down for it)
    This is the first time I know that the Miata has had its price lowered in such a way...just one month before the MR2S comes out...what a coincidence!!!