Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• amishraamishra Posts: 367
    (and I came back - what do you know...)

I'm trying it with the top down on Saturday. Is AC really needed on a convertible, or can I save that extra money.

Oh and the 14,000 is on with the MX-6 as a trade.

I guess from your statement that the Miata outhandles the MX-6... well hopefully the salesperson doesn't tag along, and I get to find out with the top down!

-- ash
  • I would recommend getting the AC, especially if you are living in a place which gets rain in summer time. The AC would help a lot when you need to put the top up and when you try to defog the windshield.
  • zaqzaq Posts: 19
    In dallas, the local mazda dealer where I bought my miata from ONLY sells MX-5's with AC.

A lot of people argue that it's not necessary in a convertable. They've never stopped in traffic or at a long light in a car that's been parked in Texas sun for a few hours.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    As they say, it depends a lot on where you live -- certainly it's not as important as, say, the engine. Or the transmission. Or, to listen to the chtter at some of the topics here, the radio.

In New England, I could well do without the AC. But I do use it and, sometimes, in real muggy conditions, driving in town, put on the tonneau, turn on the AC, and let the cold air keep me pretty comfortable. But when I want to actually drive, I turn it off. I also turn off the radio.

What is comfort in one situation turns into pollution at speed, I think.

If you can find a Miata with the "R" package, now renamed the "sport" package I think (?), it will not only have a tighter suspension but, the local dealer once told me, no AC. Anyway, you might check.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Posts: 414
    Also find out if any dealers have any 99s left. Several here in So. Cal. do and they're discounting them by $6500 off MSRP. Which means you could get one for around $17K. Great deal!
  • jc9799jc9799 Posts: 70
    I've had 2 convetibles, one with and the other w/o AC. Although, I rarely use it, AC is really nice on those really hot days when traffic is bad. Even in Portland, OR we do get those kind of days. I wouldn't call it a must, but I would highly recommend having it.

The R package, the 94 anyway, had AC as an option. It was one of the few options available for R.

Later,

Vic
    AC is an option on the sport package, at least on the '99s.

Since I already bought my miata, I haven't looked at the 2000 models, save for the little purple people eater. (The 2000 Limited Edition)

-Z
  • I have an opportunity to purchase a 10th Anniversary Edition with very low mileage for roughly the same price as a new 2000 would cost me. Any reason not to go with the 1999?

Also, I'll be moving to Atlanta in May and am curious about any suggestions Atlantonians may have regarding security while owning a Miata.

Thanks in Advance,

SNB
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Posts: 376
    I took a look at the trunk, it looks very small- well I guess it is very small - but anyway I just have one question. Can you squeeze a golf bag into it?
    It's rumoured that you can fit a golf bag in the trunk.

Since I don't play I can't tell you. But a few people have said they've done it.
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Posts: 414
    And, if not, there's always the passenger seat.
    I just found a picture of a miata on the web with the trunk open and a golf bag inside :-)
  • Vic, back on may 23, 1999 you had a post(now in the archives of topic # 25) regarding see a "golden yellow miata in Europe and in "sales brochures". I have a 2000 LS Evolution on order. Is this(you can compare with the 2000 model yr sales brochures and on-lines photos) the same "animal"? I could not locate your e-mail address to correspond directly with you.

ira
  • on second line "see" should have been "seeing"
    I had pretty much decided that either the Celica or Prelude would be my next car. This was after considering the VR6, Integra, Mustang, Cougar etc. I never thought of the Mazda. I went to the autoshow and sat in it and was amazed at the quality, so I had to test drive it myself and found that suddenly the other cars I was considering seemed rather clumsy. Then I researched it on the web and couldn't find a bad word about it. Well, my mind is made up and when I do trade in my car, Miata will be it.

Anyway, because I missed the entire first Miata section, and I don't want to read all those posts, maybe someone can tell me something I can't seem to find anywhere on the web. How is the Roof? Does it like in light rain? Pouring rain? Car wash? I'm also curious as to how it does in the snow. I can't see it being that bad with snow tires considering the good weight balance.
    that would be leak in the rain :-/
  • jc9799jc9799 Posts: 70
    Never had a problem with my Miata leaking. From I've read, the seals around the soft top are pretty water tight. Avoid automatic car washes.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    light rain, fine. Downpour, fine. Car wash, bad news (or so I've heard).

In fact, in light rain there's no reason to put the top up so long as you plan to stay over 25 mph and don't have a stop light to worry about, I've found.

Snow tires are essential, most people feel, if you're going to spend much time in poor weather. The rwd & light weight make for great donuts though if there's no other traffic around.

I assume you know this: but plan to keep the revs up. The whole car is happier above 3500 rpm. (Another reason bad weather can be bad in this car.)

Enjoy.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    Ground clearance is probably another problem. I don't care how good of snow tires you have, if you start dragging the chassis through the deep stuff it's only a matter of time until you get stuck.

-Colin