Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1999 F-250 Light Duty Info (not F-250SD, not F-150)

ford_manford_man Posts: 16
edited March 1 in Ford
I'd like to exchange information on the 1999 Ford
F-250 Light Duty trucks. They have the sportier
body style of the F-150 but carry higher payload
and towing capacities. They really are not in the
same class with the F-250 SuperDuty truck which is
more of a commercial grade truck.

My new truck has the following features:
5.4L Triton V-8
3.73 Limited Slip Differential
Class III Towing Pkg w/Tranny & Engine Cooling
Supercab with 4 doors, CD Player, etc.

Joel Mc

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    Is your truck an XLT? 4x4? 7200 or 7700 GVW? Auto or manuel? Gas mileage? How do you like it? What year is it?

Bob
  • I got the 1999 XLT 7700 GVW Auto w/Overdrive. 5.4 V8, 3.73 LS Diff. So far I've only filled up 3 times. Here's my MPG:

In-town 12.97 MPG
    Highway 18.05 MPG (70MPH w/AC)
    In-town 13.59 MPG

I've only had the truck for 11 days but absolutely love it so far.

Joel Mc
  • Are there any 1999 F-250 Light Duty Owners out there besides me?
  • ford man, I just drove my first 4x4 ever - a '99 F250LD in two tone Wedgewood Blue. I was amazed at the improvement in quality (a friend has a '94 250HD), especially the interior design and lack of spqueaks and rattles. Ford has built a "pick up truck" that is more solid than my squeaky Neon. That pickup felt like it had Honda quality in it or something. I never expected a PU to be that nice. Aside from the sticker shock ($30.8k) and gas mileage, I'd love to have one. If interest rates continue to fall (and my job holds up), I'd consider getting that truck at the end of the year clearance. I'll try to make it back here to check up on how things are going. After owning a Dodge, reliability has becom paramount. So please include any problems you have.
  • I really do love my new '99 F-250LD. You're right about the interior. They have greatly improved the dashboard, controls, seating, etc. Both the interior and the ride are much like a luxury car. The only downside (as is the case with all pickups) is that it is a little bit light in the rear-end. So far my gas mileage contines to be great (approx 18 Hwy, 13-14 in town)

So far, NO PROBLEMS to report.
  • BrutusBrutus Posts: 1,113
    I was browsing through a magazine shop at an airport about a week ago and saw that one of the regular auto magazines had an article on the F-250LD. I believe it was one of the major 4wd mags, but I can't remember which one. The magazine people had driven the truck for 1 year, so the article was based on their use of the vehicle in a multitude of applications over that period of time. It was more than a simple test drive. The F-250LD seemed to do quite well. Next time you are in a book store, you might try to find the magazine.
  • Brutus,

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open for the mag you described. I want to know what others think of the F-250LD.

I must say that driving around the DFW metroplex I rarely see any other F-250LDs.
  • BrutusBrutus Posts: 1,113
    From what I've seen, the pickup of choice in the DFW area appear to be of the 1/2 ton variety. I was in Houston for a few days about a month ago. It's a totally different scene down there. There are a lot more 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I saw a significant number of duallys as well.
  • cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    I travel most of the major cities of Texas except for DFW, and everywhere in between, I really don't see any F250LD. It seems to me they should just bump the F150 tow rating up, and make one model. I'd be interested to see the particular sales of each model.
  • I was also wondering how many they actually sell. I would assume that they are selling enough to keep the F250LD and F150 lines separate.
    I posted this a while back: I think Ford should rebadge the F-250LD as a F-150HD. The current F-250LD is currently perceived as as a light-duty commercial truck and/or a heavy-duty personal use vehicle. Almost all commercial buyers opt for the F-250SD. Few personal use buyers want a "250". Also there is too much confusion between the two different F-250s (LD & SD).

Ford would sell a lot more models if they just rebadged the model.

Bob
  • tcwtcw Posts: 14
    OK, I have looked at the Edmund's reviews and specs for the 150 and 250 (light duty), and can't decipher much about the differences. Is it just a heavier duty rear axle and extra spring? Anything different in the front end? Same transmission? And the big question, did anyone compare the ride?
    tom
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    The one thing that really stinks about the 250LD, especially if you are used to customizing, is the wheel. The F250LD is the only truck on the road that uses a 7 lug wheel.

Other than that, the F250LD is just a 150 with stronger springs.

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

KC

The F-150 with the 17" rims also has a 7-lug pattern.

Bob
    you sure Bob? All the 17" wheels I've seen both in catalogs and on the road are 5-lug on the 150. I have the 99 F-series catalog, and it shows both 17" wheels with 5 lugs.

• Well guys I'm back from my colorado elk hunt with a 5x5 and I couldn't be happier with my F-250LD. I feel it has a great ride and a much sportier look than the F-250SD (aka 55 Buick frontend). I've had it since labor day and I can't find a thing wrong with it!

The 7 lug wheels don't bother me because I have no plans for customization (other than a sprayed in bedliner).

Happy trucking... Joel Mc
    KC

I remember some car (truck?) magazine, when the new F-150 was introduced, commented - and complained - that it would be tough to find 17" after-market wheels for the F-150 because it has a 7 lug pattern.

Can anybody out there with an F-150 w/17" wheels clear this up?

Bob
    KC

I stand corrected. The F-150 does indeed have 5-lug rims, even with the 17" version. The article I referred to in the above post was addressing the odd 17" rim vs. a more commonplace 16" rims, not the issue of how many lugs it had.

Bob
  • cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    customizers had problems with the ford rims on these trucks because ford designed some special o-ring of sorts on the rims for vibration damping. at least thats what i heard.
    Ford has always managed to do something strange with either rims or tire sizes that gives a near exclusive to one set of suppliers until there's enough demand for the aftermarket to bother with it. Examples: the P265/75R15 on thge 1992 F150 (exclusive to Goodyear for well ovver a year), 7-lug wheels on 1997 F250LD, LT265/75R16E on the 99 Super Duty (no one had made anything stronger than a D-rating til this application).

This discussion has been closed.